Filipino Digestive System

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I saw on news were 12 filipino workers were sent to hospital for food poison they ate some chicken at a local eatery, i was shocked they go sick, we had a big festival and we cooked 5 lichon at my house, the next morning i awake to find 4 or 5 of my inlaws outside, i ask my wife what is going on, she showed me 5 pigs heads in a plastic can that had come off the lechion after they were cooked and had been in the can all day and night, i ask what are they going to do with them, she said just watch, they took each head chopped it up put it into a lage pot added some vegitables and season than proceed to cook for about an hour, than more showed up and they had a meal, my wife asked me if i wanted to eat,i said if i ate that i would be dead in a day, i am waiting for all these people to get sick,but not a one, they must have some bacteria we don't have, maybe the recooking of the meat killed any bad bacteria, but i take no chances i had canned corn beef and egg.

• Like 2

The Morning Glory
Posted
Posted

Fried stuff they store for quite long as its dry - but the cooked ones could be dangerous.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I guess because it was cooked over 140 deg all bacteria was killed. I agree with you, there is no way I would chance it.

I've noticed in our family and extended family they will cook a number of items in the cool (yea like its ever cool over there) of the morning te be eaten for lunch and dinner. It sits out all day! But I never got sick from what my family fed me.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

They don`t have digestive systems, they have fermentation vats, they must do judging by how they store food. If I ate like them I think I also would be dead the next day.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I saw on news were 12 filipino workers were sent to hospital for food poison they ate some chicken at a local eatery, i was shocked they go sick, we had a big festival and we cooked 5 lichon at my house, the next morning i awake to find 4 or 5 of my inlaws outside, i ask my wife what is going on, she showed me 5 pigs heads in a plastic can that had come off the lechion after they were cooked and had been in the can all day and night, i ask what are they going to do with them, she said just watch, they took each head chopped it up put it into a lage pot added some vegitables and season than proceed to cook for about an hour, than more showed up and they had a meal, my wife asked me if i wanted to eat,i said if i ate that i would be dead in a day, i am waiting for all these people to get sick,but not a one, they must have some bacteria we don't have, maybe the recooking of the meat killed any bad bacteria, but i take no chances i had canned corn beef and egg.

I think its all to do with getting used to bacteria and things, we have been placed in a position with all the regulated crap that anything that's not perfect for our bodies will make us sick as over time we have become somewhat pussy's in away as everything is regulated. Use by dates, cant have this , must cook like that bla bla but the end result is we can not handle anything unless its pure so to speak.

Look at antibiotics these days, almost useless as we have been fed them so they can not work for us like they did years ago. Maybe that's another topic.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Boss Man - you are bang on!

The biggest problem with our foods is the things we add to them. The processing time and methods used are conducive to promoting bacterial growth. So if we don't prepare and eat them right away, we get sick. That little pig that is going to be our lechon? It wasn't fed all those antibiotic laced grains, was it? More likely scraps and greens from around the yard... I believe it was killed not long before it was to be cooked, was it not? No time for bacterial growth! The heads were stored until the next day and then cooked? Much safer than that box of burgers we bought at the grocery store I bet! Not to mention that we all used to have resistance to these little bugs until we started eating all the antibiotic laced meats from the processing plants! Yup! I can't wait until I start getting my good food from the little local markets!

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing that locals (anywhere in the world) have an understanding (through knowledge handed down from previous generations) of what's safe and what's not safe regarding food. BUT what's safe for someone born and raised in the Phils is necessarily safe for someone raised in other places. Also some bacteria is heat resistant so cooking is no defense. http://www.foodsafety.asn.au/_srcfiles/Food%20Poisoning%20Bacteria_2.pdf

(Why did I choose to read this topic while eating lunch?) :bash:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just bring your bottle of Pepto-Bismal - it's good for one week and by then you won't have any trouble with the local stuff!

The voice of experience... hehe!

:mocking:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Seeing how cooked food is often left out for a long time without being kept heated or refrigerated in the Philippines gives me second thoughts about eating some of it. Of course I am indoctrinated in the western norm for food preparation and handling and am not adapted to the food borne bacteria in the Philippines.

Fresh bbq just off the grill seems like an ok choice as long as it is thoroughly cooked and you are not squeamish about what body part it might be.

I just got back from visiting my girlfriend and her family. Ate 7 evening meals with them at their home. Never had any problems. Though I did not eat everything. I skipped all fish and seafood since I am allergic to those. I also did not try the dog and goat meat or bbq chicken intestines or anus.

I did have a problem from some bus stop food I ate in my visit last April that really cleaned me out 8-12 hours later.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Seeing how cooked food is often left out for a long time without being kept heated or refrigerated in the Philippines gives me second thoughts about eating some of it.

The City of San Francisco health department once tried to stop the Chinatown practice of food stalls in retaurants or facing the street with cooked ducks, soy chickens and barbecue pork hanging in hooks. The health department wanted it refrigerated. The Chinese community went into an uproar. The health department backed off when they couldn't answer one question, "During the past 2,000 years, do you have documentation that someone ever got sick eating duck, chicken or pork from a Chinese food stall?" The follow up question was even better, "How many Americans have gotten sick eating refrigerated duck, chicken or pork?"

• Like 2