No Wild Animals Here In The Provience

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

The one thing that really took me by suprise when i arrived in the proviance was the lack of wild animals, nothing, no skunks,possium,racoon,coyote, in Oklahoma you have all kinds of critters around, some friendly some not so, we had racoons,possium,skunks, coyote coming up to the house all the time, my granddaughters had cats and would put food out and at night here come the critters, also a few rattle snakes, but here i have not saw a think looking wild, i ask what about monkeys with all the banana trees, none maybe in the hill, also deer in the hill but not here, i guess any animal you can eat would not have a chance here, as they eat everything, bamboo, the banana flower, also there is a thing from inside the top of a coconut tree they eat if one is cut down, it is called ubod, they make lumpia, also they will go up and knock down coconut before it is mature they then scrape the inside it is called buko, they make buko salad both i like very much, we have had only one cobra in three years ,but we keep the grass down and my neighbor has dairy cattle, they keep it low also, they tell me the ( banikon) is shy of humans, and will give a warning bite, warning or not i keep my eyes open, it is the only snake i know of that will do that.

post-1206-0-03314600-1349847274_thumb.jp

• Like 3

banyanman
Posted
Posted

I've always assumed that anything on two or four legs that is wild has been caught and eaten.

I've never seen a wild animal on our property either, and no snakes either (unlike in Australia where we were practically invaded by snakes). One of our workers said he could see a tree snake in the bamboo one day, but I couldn't see it so it couldn't have been that big.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You mean the only birds singing in the morning that I'll hear will be that old cock crowing and then the hens cackling?

:mocking:

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Lots of different birds can be seen and heard but no small mammals except rats and mice but lots of lizards and frogs ,some snakes but they are good at hiding .

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Where I live I have seen a variety of wildlife, though only one furred animal, a squirrel. Lots of snakes of all types. Several cobras and a reticulated python. Had a viper (can't recall the full name) once perched rather neatly on the gate right where the latch is. Pretty freaky. It was bright green, otherwise may not have been noticed until it was too late. There are a few iguana nearby and some monitor lizards live close by. They get caught now and again by young men looking for a snack for their drinking "session". Lots of frogs and toads. There are many birds ranging from ground nesting owls to hawks (rare to see but are around). The Maya bird is pretty common and lives exactly like a squatter. I was surprised to see a small mole of some type. I guess that counts as a furry animal. Some of the lizards are pretty amazing. There are some that take flight and these are caught and used for some medicinal purpose. As to trees, it's pretty cool to have a few avocado trees close by. Of course there are many banana plants as well as a variety of other fruit trees. Freshwater shrimp are plentiful and easy to catch with a simple trap.

To be clear, I live within 500 meters of the shoreline and about s kilometer from the main barangay. In the barangay proper, there is no wildlife except stray dogs and cats. Can't recall ever seeing a bird perching there. Well, I do see chickens perched all the time.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wasn't there a previously unknown type of deer found in the Philippines in the last year or so?

And I thought there was also some type of small wild boar too- though I may be thinking of another place on that one.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Wasn't there a previously unknown type of deer found in the Philippines in the last year or so? And I thought there was also some type of small wild boar too- though I may be thinking of another place on that one.

Yeah, I heard about that. I heard it was a tasty bugger.

But seriously, I agree with all the comments so far and would be interested to hear from anyone living on Palawan. It is one place where there are lots of stories of wildlife but maybe they are just stories. I would not expect much wildlife in areas of high human population density and that covers most of the areas where expats live, even the areas that we consider rural.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Dave ..... Dave ...... Dave ...... you are forgetting or maybe you just don't want to mention all the "wild life" on Mango Ave.by Yellow Cab Pizza ....... :hystery:

But seriously one thing I did notice here is the lack of birds ..... only the ones to small to be eaten and are noisy as hell can be found in Cebu City ..... but lizards are plentiful and that makes me happy cause I like lizards .... I find them to be fascinating creatures always busy scurrying about ..... :dance: ... :cheersty:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There are the tangiers at Bohol, but they have problem surviving.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Lots of monkeys on bohol very few on Cebu