Would You Give This Food?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Last week there was a big storm. The power went out for 4 hours, then came on for 4 hours. Then it went out for 40 hours, then cam on for 40 hours, then went out for 12 more hours before coming back on for good.

Some of the meat in my freezer, like the bacon, does not seem too bad. I have been eating it with no ill effects. The other meat has me worried. I think it has been thawed and frozen too much. I instructed my pregnant wife not to take a chance eating that meat or feeding it to me. I said it is good to feed the dogs with. I said the maids could eat what they felt comfortable eating (they usually eat the cheaper cuts of meat but are willing to eat the more expensive cuts even after this power failure).

Now the maids are saying how their families have no meat at home and it is so bad to feed this meat to the dogs when their own families could eat that. I said: No Way. I explained that if I gave meat to them while suspecting it was not fit for human consumption then I would be responsible for any hospital or other bills resulting if people got sick. They think I am being mean and cheap. I feel mean and cheap. But I think I am right. Am I? What say you?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

You will never win this one.

Feed the "bad" meat to the dog down the street. When it dies you can say "I told you so.

Never mind because whatever you do you will forever be know as the "Kuripot Foreigner".

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Last week there was a big storm. The power went out for 4 hours, then came on for 4 hours. Then it went out for 40 hours, then cam on for 40 hours, then went out for 12 more hours before coming back on for good.

Some of the meat in my freezer, like the bacon, does not seem too bad. I have been eating it with no ill effects. The other meat has me worried. I think it has been thawed and frozen too much. I instructed my pregnant wife not to take a chance eating that meat or feeding it to me. I said it is good to feed the dogs with. I said the maids could eat what they felt comfortable eating (they usually eat the cheaper cuts of meat but are willing to eat the more expensive cuts even after this power failure).

Now the maids are saying how their families have no meat at home and it is so bad to feed this meat to the dogs when their own families could eat that. I said: No Way. I explained that if I gave meat to them while suspecting it was not fit for human consumption then I would be responsible for any hospital or other bills resulting if people got sick. They think I am being mean and cheap. I feel mean and cheap. But I think I am right. Am I? What say you?

Better to go out and buy them some meat and give them a gift than to take a chance on being responsible for hundreds of thousands of pesos from medical bills and demands from their family and to be the scourge of the barangay.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Just tell them that you are unable to give it as it has become "double dead" meat?

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted

The way that raw food is treated in the Phils and you're worrying? I'd stew it up well and let them have it after tasting it and waiting to see if there are after effects.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Curley makes a good point Dave. If one of the maids were to die of food poisoning you would not have to pay her wages that month and not only that you would be off the hook for that pesky Christmas bonus scam. Truly a win-win!

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The way that raw food is treated in the Phils and you're worrying? I'd stew it up well and let them have it after tasting it and waiting to see if there are after effects.

Curley makes a good point Dave. If one of the maids were to die of food poisoning you would not have to pay her wages that month and not only that you would be off the hook for that pesky Christmas bonus scam. Truly a win-win!

Damn .... you guys are brutal ..... you better believe if I get an Christmas package form any of you with meat in it I know what I'm gonna do with it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Damn .... you guys are brutal ..... you better believe if I get an Christmas package form any of you with meat in it I know what I'm gonna do with it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Eat it all yourself?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Better to go out and buy them some meat and give them a gift

That is true but one would need to make sure the new meat was fresh and not been in the same situation of power outages and changed temperatures. I recall I bought a bag of frozen mixed veggies in the Supermarket in Ayala once and when I opened it sure was double dead veggies. :no:

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted (edited)

most have no concept of refrigeration and what causes meats to spoil. They use their nose and eyes to check for spoilage. If it was frozen and thawed and then refrozen im sure its no worse than the meats they might buy hanging in the open air with flies etc all day long. If you are worried Just stew it real long ... then adobo fry it... and let them have it.

I can see where they would be shocked to see Fido eating meat and you not sharing . To their eyes if the meat ain't stinkin or green its still good and really lets be practical here...... if its only stinkin' its still good eatin' .

of course this goes counter to your mom's and my mum's advice " If in doubt - throw it out" . :) .

Edited by samatm