Live Music In Mactan/cebu City Area?

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I'm heading over to PI for a couple of weeks with my GF. We plan to spend most of the time in the Mactan/Cebu City area and I was hoping to catch some live music in a low key (and low risk) environment. Last time I was out we spent three days on Panglao and every night in the resort restaurant there was a different local group playing. We both really enjoyed it and I was hoping to find something similar, but local. I know someone mentioned that the Zombies played at the Waterfront recently--I would have loved to see that show.

So any pointers? If the place happens to have something other than San Miguel beer (dream on?) that would be a bonus! Thanks for any and all help.

Dougbert

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For a fee and an airline ticket, I will stand beside your table and sing all evening!

Better make that I will stand near your table... The other side of the room? In the kitchen? I"m not sitting outside if it's going to rain! That's it!!! The deals off!!!

:mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Waterfront has a piano bar on the mezinine that we like to visit. Marco Polo has a jazz trio most nights in the bar.

Final offer, Bob and I will not sing for a fair price, yes we will take payments or airline tickets.

• Like 1

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

Try JC's Acustic lounge & video cafe. Live music 5-6 nights a week. Safe enviroment right across form Cebu Doctor's University.

• Like 2

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Thanks, guys. We'll try to check some of those places out. We actually stayed at the Mactan Waterfront one night last time I was there. I had booked a "deluxe" suite (one step up from the regular room) but when we checked in they offered us a free upgrade. We took and when we went up to the 7th floor and found our room it was the Ambassador Suite! Holy crap! There was a dining table for eight, a huge living room, a butler's pantry, plus the bedroom and bath. Best $110 I've spent...

As for the Bob and Old55 Karaoke Show--send me your addresses and I will pack a case of Red Horse for each of you to keep you quiet! :cheersty:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I am really surprised that there are not more suggestions for you in this topic! Surely those who live there have a few more ideas that the ones above? The new Marshals Irish pub have singing so maybe that will be worth checking out. Montebelle hotel normally have low key 2 piece band on Friday nights but that was some time ago but maybe worth looking into. I seen posted here somewhere about the Ranch resturaunt having some sort of country and western singer but when you say live music you did not say what type?

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

When I stayed at Rajah Park hotel a few years ago they had a different band playing in the lobby every night. I was there during sinulog so I don't know if that was just part of the celebration or not, but you could give them a call and ask.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Google "live entertainment cebu". I did and I came up with too many answers to post them here. One site alone listed 39 different venues with live entertainment... I will admit that I like the first one in my google search but it's a little bit out of town...

Cebu Live Entertainment on Hood River Oregons watefront

www.riversidehoodriver.com/cebumusic.html

Cebu Lounge - live music on the waterfront in Hood River, Oregon.

:mocking:

Edited by I am bob

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I am really surprised that there are not more suggestions for you in this topic! Surely those who live there have a few more ideas that the ones above? The new Marshals Irish pub have singing so maybe that will be worth checking out. Montebelle hotel normally have low key 2 piece band on Friday nights but that was some time ago but maybe worth looking into. I seen posted here somewhere about the Ranch resturaunt having some sort of country and western singer but when you say live music you did not say what type?

Yeah, I should have been more clear about what I'm looking for. First night on Panglao the entertainment was one guy with a harp (yes, the big multi-string kind) playing all kinds of covers including many western pop/rock songs. No singing, but his arrangements were very nice. We enjoyed playing "name that tune" whenever he started a new song. Second night (and my favorite) was a quartet of middle aged gentlemen, three with acoustic guitars and one with simple percussion (maracas/shaker). They all sang--beautiful harmonies. They played many western pop/rock songs as well as a few local folk songs. The played for a while in the middle of the restaurant and then walked around to each table and played 2-3 songs at each stop. These guys were really good and I gave them a nice tip at the end. The last night there was a six piece band with electric instruments. They played mostly western pop/rock and were also very good.

My GF isn't into heavy rock and while I enjoy that stuff, I really am looking for something more low key and relaxing, not loud and boisterous.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Dougbert

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

... I was hoping to catch some live music.....

Try JC's Acustic lounge & video cafe. Live music 5-6 nights a week. Safe enviroment right across form Cebu Doctor's University.

JC's is recommended again.

----- These 2 are for rock bands nearly every night.

Rock Street on Mango Avenue - Recently started charging a cover charge 200 php or less

They have things to drink beside San Mig

YOU (no cover charge) next door to Rock Street - they sometimes quit early so be there by 9:00pm

Just watch your pockets outside... :tiphat: I haven't had any trouble but don't linger outside. Just the bothersome little beggar kids is all I've run into there.

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1