Ok ... So What Happened To Your Little Car You Ask ....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The car would have been a total loss if you had to do a repair like that in the US! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Cars can be real money pits. One of the factors that went into my decision to spend more and buy a newer, hopefully, more reliable car was that I live in the province where tow trucks are pretty much nonexistent. Even if they can get to you the chances of them having the part you need are next to none. Everything comes from Cebu City. Even if I could get it to the town mechanic he would have to go to the city for parts, he doesn't even stock oil. It would be interesting to factor in the repair bills a year from now added to the initial cost of the vehicle to see where you stand.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I still like the 4x4s that come with a manual hub... Those I have torn down and fixed myself but the automatics? I"ll need the whole unit, thank you!

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I still like the 4x4s that come with a manual hub... Those I have torn down and fixed myself but the automatics? I"ll need the whole unit, thank you!

Then when in Philippines (or anywhere in the world) buy a suzuki samurai at ANY CONDITION and start fidling with it. THE BEST inexpensive car for a real 4x4 adventure...it can become very expensive if you turn it to a real monster though...

I have a vitara 4x4 as my toy car here, since wife does not like manual...(filipina wife rules here hehehe) and i just LOVE IT. A piece of crap was when i bought it, costed me by now double the price i bought it, i project another 5000$ on it in the next 2-3 years but the outcome will be a real monster.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Then when in Philippines (or anywhere in the world) buy a suzuki samurai at ANY CONDITION and start fidling with it. THE BEST inexpensive car for a real 4x4 adventure...it can become very expensive if you turn it to a real monster though...

I have a vitara 4x4 as my toy car here, since wife does not like manual...(filipina wife rules here hehehe) and i just LOVE IT. A piece of crap was when i bought it, costed me by now double the price i bought it, i project another 5000$ on it in the next 2-3 years but the outcome will be a real monster.

Tell us more about what you have done to it and what more you plan to do with it! :thumbsup:

I have mixed feeling about buying new or used when the time comes to buy. I may splurge and buy new, and plan to keep the car forever, knowing that I will know exactly how the car was maintained.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Tell us more about what you have done to it and what more you plan to do with it! :thumbsup:

I have mixed feeling about buying new or used when the time comes to buy. I may splurge and buy new, and plan to keep the car forever, knowing that I will know exactly how the car was maintained.

First i changed 4 tires to offroad type ones, 30k pesos, then i burned the engine on a trail due to a temprature indicator not working, another engine 30K with labor included, Some bits and pieces here and there another 20k, bought a smittybuild X2O winch another 400$ (that was purchased in US and shipped to manila, other wise triple the price), raised it 3" and changed the rear shock absorbers another 12K. In the next 3 months change the rear bumper to a steal 5mm custom made one (the front one was already as such), 20k, next year or when my budget allows calmini suspension system 100k then 5 huge offroad tires and rims another 150-200k, then....something will have pop up by then!!!

If this car was my only car...poor me!!! it is a toy car, for hobby only and that is why i do not complain on all the money i put on it.

My normal car, NEVER A SECOND HAND. first i had a civic vtec used, so many troubles, up to change engine, i sold it bargain price and bought a brand new Honda City, kept it 6 years did not spend a dime on it other than the regular oil change and when it started asking maintenance i sold it half the price i bought it. Now i have a mitsubishi strada brand new and really happy from it, a real tough car and full of muscle power.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Joe,

I have always enjoy reading about your road trips on FB. Those hills up the mountain of San Mateo (NE of Manila)

look pretty challenging. But your Vitara 4X4 is one tough cookie! I'm sure other members would enjoy seeing your

little toy.

I am very grateful that Mike S started this thread. I believe there are quite a few of us that are shade tree mechanics

and would love to share mistakes and achievements. I know for a fact that NorCal MIke is a professional restorer of

vintage cars (hot rods and classic), a formal moonshine runner by night and a NASCAR driver by day. His advice over

the phone about bleeding air bubbles from the brake system was spot on!

Once again Joe, thank you. By the way, nice suspension system:

post-686-0-72499400-1353140291_thumb.jpg

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spill cheek
  • Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
it is a toy car, for hobby only and that is why i do not complain on all the money i put on it.

OK, now I understand! You are into some serious off roading! I just want to make it down the road that Mike S did not! :hystery: I think a 4 X 4 with good solid suspension is a good choice here.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
it is a toy car, for hobby only and that is why i do not complain on all the money i put on it.

OK, now I understand! You are into some serious off roading! I just want to make it down the road that Mike S did not! :hystery: I think a 4 X 4 with good solid suspension is a good choice here.

Then buy a samurai, you will not regret it. if you want some comforts and a bit more speed the a nissan xtrail is a good buy but do not abuse it in the non paved roads, will not last as the samurai...

For a good condition samurai give around 120-160k and for a good xtrail 300-400k, you budget your choice but if you want it to have 4x4 capabilities do not go for crv or kia or rav4 they are 4x4 only on the sticker...put them in the mud and you'll find out that their differential does not support the task. xtrail will be fine in the mud but does not take much of abuse.

• Like 4