Employment Agencies And Witholding Passports As Ransom

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Thailen19,

How about if we look at things as she's trying to get 5k from you?

Since she's in the RP already, can't see why she can't just dump them?

PS: I read and reply over this tiny iPhone thing so, the chance of me misunderstanding is big.

brock
Posted
Posted

Bob, Sorry I have to disagree with you ...You dont see any Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists,Teachers,any professional really working as a Janitor or taxi driver in England.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob, Sorry I have to disagree with you ...You dont see any Doctors, Lawyers, Dentists,Teachers,any professional really working as a Janitor or taxi driver in England.

You don't see many Doctors, Lawyers or Dentists in the Philippines working as janitors or taxi drivers either. You do see teachers but that is in areas where the market is saturated with them. Here in Canada I do know teachers who are driving cab, working as janitors and one who rides on the back of the garbage truck dumping household bins and bags. Why? Too many teachers in certain areas here too. I can list off about 20 or more programmers and developers who are working in other fields, the majority of Sys Admins and Network Engineers I worked with in the past have moved on to other careers as well as quite a few engineers who are doing other work as well. The world is changing and so are the job opportunities.

brock
Posted
Posted

As far as working outside one's own field, that is worldwide...

Their are many professionals doing different jobs in the Philippines, because they have too, Not because they want too, ie, nurses and teachers working on checkouts, Doctors taking nursing courses so they can try to get a job abroad as a nurse, A nurses qualifications from the Philippines is not worth the paper it is written on in England. Thousands qualify to become a nurse every year and yet their are so many unemployed. I do know nurses that work in private homes as a care assistant, But that is because they can earn much more money, and not because they have too

I do not think it is worldwide, unless one can earn more as a taxi driver than a teacher, I know that is true because I had a Teacher work for me.

Just mho

Mike S
Posted
Posted
A nurses qualifications from the Philippines is not worth the paper it is written on in England.

Thank you sir I wrote a long post yesterday and it vanished into thin air ..... the Martians ate it ..... :hystery: :hystery: ..... nor can they work in the US either .... a great many professional person that require a license to work ..... and by that I mean a professional license not a work permit ..... from the Philippines can't work in their chosen profession because they can't pass the examinations required by other countries to work in those fields ..... let's face it many graduating from college here are just not qualified ....... sorry I don't mean to hurt any ones feelings here but it is true ..... most nurses coming from abroad must have at least 2 more years training before they can pass their state boards .... also to keep their license they must do CEU each year in order to renew their license ...... the same with teachers ..... we know both a teacher and nurse living abroad and all they do is come back here every time their license is due and simply pay their fees for the license and go back to their different countries ..... no mention of CEU's (Continuing Education Unit) at all .....

The other problem is that the students here in the Phils are not taught to think for themselves or solve problems with out a superior being present ..... and this in my opinion is one of the greatest travesties that befall the Filipino who wants to get ahead ..... when they go to these other countries and are given a practical exam with multiple choices they are not sure just what to do ...... they are taught that "this is the way it is because I your IC say it is) ...... any way ..... IMHO ...... :cheersty:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Very true Mike. Some of the university courses and certifications are not equivalent to other countries. Those who wish to move to another country must recognise this and be prepared to study once they get to where they want to be. Even in the old days back in the 70s, there were different certifications for nurses both in Canada and the US - though I don't remember off the top of my head what they were called. My sister was one of the lesser certification nurses and had taken the 2 years of Nursing College rather than the 4 year Nursing Degree which is now required. Yes, she ended up going back to school to qualify for the last 2 years she needed to remain a nurse following the changes. The old 2 year course is the same as what the Philippines is giving for their Nursing degree.

I was just looking into the Teacher's certification and equivalency for here in Canada and the US this past week. In the US, it is generally accepted once the degree is attained. Here in Canada, it is generally accepted after the person passes an English test. Go figure! And, when I say generally accepted, there is one last issue that may need to be passed. Why? Because the high schools in the Philippines (until this year) were only to Grade 10. Some of the governing bodies want another 2 years of school because of this. Let me see... I"m going to be your teacher next soon but I have to go back to high school for 2 more years first. Now that is dumb!

:bash:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The other problem is that the students here in the Phils are not taught to think for themselves or solve problems with out a superior being present .....

and this in my opinion is one of the greatest travesties that befall the Filipino who wants to get ahead

..... when they go to these other countries and are given a practical exam with multiple choices they are not sure just what to do ...... they are taught that "this is the way it is because I your IC say it is) ...... any way ..... IMHO ...... :cheersty:

I think Steve & Myrlita had taught in a school setting here,

Perhaps he can explain this ,

Yes MIKE S. i agree, that sometimes I dont think they could (fill in the blank)

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The other problem is that the students here in the Phils are not taught to think for themselves or solve problems with out a superior being present .....

I did some reading up on this over the last 2 days and then I asked a Filipino friend what his thoughts were... I think his answer was the best I have heard so far.... What he said (and I am paraphrasing from memory here) was that the school system was originally all nuns and priests teaching the students. And the way they taught was strictly "I am going to tell you the answer and anything else is wrong"... And that just kind of carried on as how to teach over the years - especially considering that the early Teacher's Colleges were still run - and the students were taught how to be teachers - by the same group of priests and nuns. Anyway, this kind of removes the idea of teaching the students how to think and queery for themselves, don't you think? :no:

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I did some reading up on this over the last 2 days and then I asked a Filipino friend what his thoughts were... I think his answer was the best I have heard so far.... What he said (and I am paraphrasing from memory here) was that the school system was originally all nuns and priests teaching the students. And the way they taught was strictly "I am going to tell you the answer and anything else is wrong"... And that just kind of carried on as how to teach over the years - especially considering that the early Teacher's Colleges were still run - and the students were taught how to be teachers - by the same group of priests and nuns. Anyway, this kind of removes the idea of teaching the students how to think and queery for themselves, don't you think?

My wife more or less agrees with your Filipino friend's statement. She went to private schools in Manila for elementary and high school, and did come across teachers who were "old school", just as you friend describes. She claims they served their purpose of instilling discipline during the impressionable years, and may have stifled free thinking in some. A lively mind and a strong spirit, however, cannot be shackled.

For university, she went to a Jesuit university, which she credits for the best academic atmosphere. Not that she does not give credit to UP...she has a lot of friends that went there. Her university, though, had but a fraction of UP's population. The smaller class sizes suited her more, and she found it easier to form lasting bonds of friendship with very worthwhile people.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I thought I was finished. I meant to add that it was in university (as opposed to elementary and grade school) that she felt most actively encouraged to think for herself (something she was always inclined to do anyway).

• Like 2