Using My Laptop (Mac) To Make Calls To Us

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

I have a question of members who may be more familiar with the process of using a computer to make voice calls to the US. I have wanted to make some calls to toll-free numbers from my cellphone, but so far this has not worked. For example, in one instance the call requires use of a PLDT landline.

I do have a Globe internet connection with a slow, but mostly reliable service.

I realize now that using Skype is great, if the other end has Skype. This is not practical for me as the calls I want to make are to commercial phones (businesses).

One more detail, I don't use a credit card. If I did, I realize Skype had a feature for making international calls at a monthly service rate. Without a credit card, no deal there.

Any advice is welcome.

I use a Mac, but do have a netbook with Windows 7.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I use Google Voice with Groove IP, a VoIP client, on my tablet and it works great for free calls to US and Canada, it's by far the best thing I've found. There are VoIP clients for Mac, you could do that or maybe put it on the cellphone. Google could start charging for minutes at some point but, for right now, it's free.

• Like 5

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info. The google voice website says it is cheap, not free.

I checked the Groove IP, but wouldn't have a way to buy that online.

I'll continue my search for Mac or iOS apps. Appreciate your advice.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
in one instance the call requires use of a PLDT landline.

GET A PLDT WIRELESS SIM.

cost of sim. 100-300? and monthly load of 300+.

it allows you to make PHILIPPINE TOLL FREE CALLS

not US or other countries TOLL FREE.

budget card rate is 1.5p minute,

Sorry but i have no experience using a laptop or other services for calling,

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the idea of the sim. I need to make calls to US, so it would not help.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the idea of the sim. I need to make calls to US, so it would not help.

consider a CALL BACK SERVICE?

yes the SIM may not help

.at least consider . ........

You have a "landline/wireless" number, that would reduce the cost some than a Cell

and the "landline/wireless sim" can be used any where in the province you live.,

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

thanks. i'll look into this.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I am interested in how this turns out. I have a MacBook Pro and when I make the final move will want to port my cell phone number to some service that will work for me making calls from the Philippines as if I were calling from the US phone number. I do have a VPS (virtual private server) in the US which I am setting up so I can use it as a VPN (virtual private network) to get past any IP restrictions or costs associated with being outside the US.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted (edited)

For me, this seems like a bridge too far. I had hoped for a simpler solution, but without a stateside phone and credit card, this ends up being a situation to just live with. I am not so concerned about making the call on my dime. My concern is dealing with some long hold times or automated systems which end up causing me to lose the connection, that sort of thing.

I appreciate the help offered from those more knowledgeable. Just not sure how I can get this to work.

Edited by MikeeW