Doxycycline Or Malarone Availability In The Philippines?

Friendlyguy
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to decide if I should get malaria pills here in the US before I leave or wait till I get to Manila. I'll be in Manila a few days then going on to a rural area of Mindanao for a few weeks. Is Doxycycline or Malarone available OTC in Manila? What is the cost of each med? A daily 2+ month supply of either one is pricy here in the US. Is there a pharmacy I can contact on the web that might help me?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't know any one who uses it. I am fortunate enough to be in a Malaria free province so never give it a thought. Try going to one of these places if Malaria is a worrying you:

QUEZON CITY, Nov 29 (PIA) -- The Department of Health has declared several provinces in the country free from rabies, malaria, and filariasis.

This year the provinces of Biliran and Marinduque were declared as rabies free; the provinces of Batanes, Dinagat Islands, Camarines Sur, and Romblon as malaria free; and the provinces of Marinduque, Albay, and Eastern Samar as filaria free.

http://www.pia.gov.ph/news/index.php?menu=&pdp=4&article=2401354159776

retired
Posted
Posted

Have never known anyone taking meds for Malaria specifically but i have taken Doxcycline for Sinus infections . Doxy is readily available here in the Philippines as are others of the same class . Can't remember what was paid for Doxy but with recent flooding prices will vacillate . My guess would be $ 1 - 1.50 per pill in dollars but maybe less ..

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

Mercury drugs will answer queries as to products they sell. Be sure you are precise in asking as sometimes they "interpret" your query. This does not mean the drug is in the pharmacy you go to. They will carry a particular drug, but the local pharmacy may not have any in stock.

Info at mercurydrug.com

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
They will carry a particular drug, but the local pharmacy may not have any in stock.

Yeah, take Bayer Aspirin for example. Wise to bring your own if you take it for headaches. Most pharmacies have either the 80 mg baby aspirin or the 300 mg uncoated, (dissolve in your throat and burn) or they have no stock today.

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

I got doxycycline in the US before I left for both of my trips--just tell your doc where you are headed and he will write the prescription. No side effects noted, unlike some of the other options. It was also 100% covered by my insurance which surprised me (usually I pay at least a few bucks for prescriptions).

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

make sure that you bring some of your FAVORITE OTC medicines

as in many instances they are NOT AVAILABLE

(not sorry sir out of stock BUT simply not here),

example ADVIL PM or other PM(night time relief pain/headache)

, TUCKS( moist wipe to clean,stop anal itching)

:444:

Also if your taking any High blood pressure or health maintenance meds

KNOW your side effects carry the insert/pamphlet of what they are, (tell your loved one what they are.have it wrote down)

why? 1 , some US/UK/Euro/AUS medicines are not available here

2. the risk of side effect is greater due to being in a new environment/dietary changes/body adjustment

3. the local health care may not be aware of the medicine or the risks......

which , alth small risk can cause serious effects..

if your unable to bring a ample supply ask your US/home country doctor what are the equivalent.

and last make sure you buy your medicines at a NAME BRAND drug store.

B eware of the risk of fraudulet meds :th_interesting:

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to decide if I should get malaria pills here in the US before I leave or wait till I get to Manila. I'll be in Manila a few days then going on to a rural area of Mindanao for a few weeks. Is Doxycycline or Malarone available OTC in Manila? What is the cost of each med? A daily 2+ month supply of either one is pricy here in the US. Is there a pharmacy I can contact on the web that might help me?

Doxycyline was the prefered proforlaxis by British forces when completing Jungle warfare cardres in Belize many years ago, its down side for hot climates is that it can cause your skin to become more prone to sun burn, it can be found all over the Philippines but tends to be a little cheaper in the Pharmacy chain "Generic Pharmacy"

http://www.thegenericspharmacy.com/vprod.php?id=36

John

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't even think about fooling around with the anitmalarials. You arn't going to get malaria here & the side effecte form the medicines isn't good or worhtit. Just my HO.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I agree, stock up on repellents, the good spray-on is very hard to find and expensive.