Trillion Dollar Coins To Save U.s. Economy? Really?

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted
I already have one of these. I have it for sale on e-bay for a discounted price of 1 billion, if anyone is interested. I only accept Paypal.

Do you ship outside the 48 states?

Would you consider a trade for say...ummmmm....3 sacks of Jasmine Rice and a used Starbucks Gift Card? :89:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had a lady at work seriously ask why we don't just print enough money to pay off the debt. I had no idea where to begin explaining basic economics to her but was pretty proud that I didn't laugh in her face.

It would be funny, except its true, at least it is according to Forbes Magazine

However, the Fed also left little doubt that for the foreseeable future, it will print money in an effort “to support a stronger economic recovery.

Full story here (its from September)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/09/14/the-feds-futile-effort-to-bail-out-obamanomics/

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The United States Federal Reserve Bank has been printing money since 2008. Why do you think the value of the US dollar is going down? As soon as we realized what was happening, my wife and I moved our retirement portfolios (IRAs) to defensive stocks. Examples include oil, gas and utilities. We also like commodities. Stock prices will fluctuate up and down. This is not our concern. Our strategy is based on what may happen 5, 10, 15 years from now when we need the money. The worry is future inflation. Inflation is actually a form of taxation. The government borrowed money in the trillions, which is our national debt. If we ever repay the debt, it will be with cheaper dollars.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I had a lady at work seriously ask why we don't just print enough money to pay off the debt. I had no idea where to begin explaining basic economics to her but was pretty proud that I didn't laugh in her face.

I wouldn,t laugh, The US government has been doing it for years

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And this is another reason why my career in Financial Services was short and sweet. Once I started studying what the American government was doing to their dollar, and the unfortunate fact that what happens to their dollar greatly affects the Canadian dollar, I couldn't look people in the eye and say their money was ever going to be truly safe.