Interesting Figures On Salaries In The Philippines

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Our employees (live in bar tender, 2 waiters & 2 security) are paid 250p a day, only the chef has a higher wage at 400p.....this was all arranged with my wife before I came back over, The staff were all very happy as the previous owners used to pay them 150p! Still seems very low for me especially for the metro but if theyre happy.... :)

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

Sadly the least reliable entity for measuring inflation is a government agency.  They have a vested interest in under reporting the real rate.  Most unaffiliated economists estimate Philippine inflation at closer to 5%+.  What this means is every 16 years or so prices on most things (not all) double.  People living on a fixed budget will be hurt the most.  This is something to consider if your prime reason for moving to the Philiipines is cost savings.  Bear in mind there are no safety nets in the Philippines (food stamps , welfare, food banks, etc.).

Some government economists utilize a scheme called "substitution" to keep inflation numbers lower.  What this means is, if a manufacturer (like China) makes a product comparable to another one at a lower price it is used to calculate the inflation rate.  The fact that this new product may be substantially inferior to the one it is replacing is irrelevant.

Think you are on the money my friend . Does anyone that has lived in the Philippines for a number of years actually believe inflation is less than 3 % or unemployment 7.1 % ? I rarely shop but even i know better than that .   :-)

retired
Posted
Posted

Our employees (live in bar tender, 2 waiters & 2 security) are paid 250p a day, only the chef has a higher wage at 400p.....this was all arranged with my wife before I came back over, The staff were all very happy as the previous owners used to pay them 150p! Still seems very low for me especially for the metro but if theyre happy.... :)

Not picking on you my friend as obviously wages in the Philippines are related to where the wage is paid . Where else can someone talking on a telephone ( call center ) make more than a nurse ? On a recent trip to Panglao i learned at least some of the beach staff were making 320 a day for an 8 hr shift and they basically just served beer and made change . SO , the chef was probably making more than 400 .    :-)