Expats' Mutual Assistance Fund

A Measure of Interest and Participation  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you become a subscribing member of this fund?

• Yes - and I live in the Philippines
    • Yes - when I move to the Philippines
    • Maybe
    • No
  2. 2. How much would you be prepared to spend on membership?

• Less than 500 Pesos per month
    • 500 - 999 Pesos per month
    • 1000 Pesos per month
    • More than 1000 Pesos per month

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

The way I look at it is that for good insurance for me at 36 costs

Guardian
Posted
Posted (edited)

From the things I have read on a number of forums, most people cannot get along or agree on the simplest of things and some know it alls will always try to run the show by dazzling people with BS instead of real knowledge. Why is it that some who have lived in the Philippines are so quick to call others "newbies" when they have no idea who they are talking to or what their experience level with life is. While I may or may not have ever been to the Philippines, I have spent quite a bit of time in Viet Nam and I probably know more about third world countries and real life than all these so called know it alls put together. What I am saying is that life is dog eat dog and maybe a group run by Filipinos might work but no group run by the mixture of foreigners that seems to live in the Philippines or any third world country would ever agree on where to eat no less how to run a fund, and then there would be who would you trust to hold the money and where would it be held. I have met few people that I would trust to hold money, even a high ranking cop who was in one clubs I was in ran off with all the money and dared everyone to do something about it. Someone did and he is no longer with us but that did not get the money back. I do not think anything like this would ever work in a country where most expats are just barely making ends meet and where so many like to drink to extreme. That is just my opinion and I do not mean to direct this toward anyone who has posted in this section or even any of the actual members of this forum.

Edited by Guardian

daisy
Posted
Posted
From the things I have read on a number of forums, most people cannot get along or agree on the simplest of things and some know it alls will always try to run the show by dazzling people with BS instead of real knowledge. Why is it that some who have lived in the Philippines are so quick to call others "newbies" when they have no idea who they are talking to or what their experience level with life is. While I may or may not have ever been to the Philippines, I have spent quite a bit of time in Viet Nam and I probably know more about third world countries and real life than all these so called know it alls put together. What I am saying is that life is dog eat dog and maybe a group run by Filipinos might work but no group run by the mixture of foreigners that seems to live in the Philippines or any third world country would ever agree on where to eat no less how to run a fund, and then there would be who would you trust to hold the money and where would it be held. I have met few people that I would trust to hold money, even a high ranking cop who was in one clubs I was in ran off with all the money and dared everyone to do something about it. Someone did and he is no longer with us but that did not get the money back. I do not think anything like this would ever work in a country where most expats are just barely making ends meet and where so many like to drink to extreme. That is just my opinion and I do not mean to direct this toward anyone who has posted in this section or even any of the actual members of this forum.
Hi Guardian!I truly understand and respect your sentiments...but it is with the knowledge that most Expats living here were just barely making it that you need each other! Some of us formed this ELCI here in CDO, and members only have 200 pesos monthly contribution. With this, we were able to assist our member's hospitalization with 2000 pesos. For this year, we have given 3 2000 pesos to our members. and we took it from our 200 pesos monthly due contributions...not much but it felt rewarding in knowing that we belong! Aside from it, our husband felt happy about it. I was the third person who received the 2000 when my son was admitted last month! His total bill was 12K plus. with Philhealth and the 2000, excess was only 3,300 something..... 23_11_60%5B2%5D.gif

Guardian
Posted
Posted
Hi Guardian!I truly understand and respect your sentiments...but it is with the knowledge that most Expats living here were just barely making it that you need each other! Some of us formed this ELCI here in CDO, and members only have 200 pesos monthly contribution. With this, we were able to assist our member's hospitalization with 2000 pesos. For this year, we have given 3 2000 pesos to our members. and we took it from our 200 pesos monthly due contributions...not much but it felt rewarding in knowing that we belong! Aside from it, our husband felt happy about it. I was the third person who received the 2000 when my son was admitted last month! His total bill was 12K plus. with Philhealth and the 2000, excess was only 3,300 something..... 23_11_60%5B2%5D.gif
Daisy, as I understand it you are a Filipina and your handling the charity seems to work but from what I have read I would not trust any of the expats that seem to live there and post on these forums with my money for reasons stated. Maybe some long time wives in Cebu can get together and do ask your advice and follow your business plan. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Daisy, as I understand it you are a Filipina and your handling the charity seems to work but from what I have read I would not trust any of the expats that seem to live there and post on these forums with my money for reasons stated. Maybe some long time wives in Cebu can get together and do ask your advice and follow your business plan. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
Another thing to remember is Daisy doesnt reside in Cebu she lives in CDO where the community spirit is a lot stronger. Cebu seems to have too many people pulling in different directions. Not sure if the budget makes any difference as there are a lot of expats with money in Cebu maybe not so willing to share :thumbsup:. My main point would be a "free service" that people can donate to for hooking up lawyers etc or arranging family contact in the event of death etc. because it can all be done in advance of something going wrong and just filled for emergency use. I would be willing to give up a few hours a week to help on it and no doubt a lot of other people would.

• 1 year later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted

What gives? This topic and comment were from in 2009! I don't associate!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You are now caught in a TIME WARP. To get back to your original time you have to wrestle one alligator, drink two liters of Red Horse. And sleep with one virgin.Now back to our regular schedule. Ooops. I think I am off topic.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
You are now caught in a TIME WARP. To get back to your original time you have to wrestle one alligator, drink two liters of Red Horse. And sleep with one virgin.Now back to our regular schedule. Ooops. I think I am off topic.
Whenever someone votes in a topic poll, then it brings up the old posts. The idea of the voting is that a member would also post their opinion and not just vote in the topic. If I am correct then this idea went away because of the complexities of any outsider trying to accomplish much here. Anyone know otherwise? Trying to get a group of people together to do anything other than drinking and maybe eating never seems to work.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
What gives? This topic and comments were from in 2009! I don't associate!
You too eh! I didn't see todays'date on any of the comments or I missed it! Is this "Twilight Zone"?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
What gives? This topic and comments were from in 2009! I don't associate!
You too eh! I didn't see todays'date on any of the comments or I missed it! Is this "Twilight Zone"?
Look at my post above yours.