Thomas Hunt

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The Thomas Hunt story has made the papers,perhaps it will be of benefit to himFormer Yuman stranded in PhilippinesA former Yuma man has fallen ill in the Philippines and is unable to return to the United States, said family members. Thomas Hunt, who moved to the city of Cagayan de Oro in the Philippines last year, has a brain tumor and is suffering from complications due to diabetes, said his former stepson Ted Hammon of Phoenix. Hunt is currently unconscious, Hammon said, and is in intensive care at a hospital in Cagayan de Oro. Hammon said Hunt lived in Yuma for many years and the pair kept in contact after Hammon's mother passed away in 1987. He said his contact with Hunt stopped when Hunt moved to the Philippines last year with plans of retiring with his new wife, Janelaze Hunt, who is originally from there. But Janelaze Hunt never made the move with her husband.

She said she did not move to the Philippines with her husband because they could not afford two round trip tickets. When The Sun asked for further explanation, she said that her reasons for not moving with him were between her and her husband. Janelaze Hunt, who currently lives in Reston, Va., said she wants to bring her husband home to the United States for medical care, but a medical flight can cost tens of thousands of dollars. "The only reason I can't bring him back is especially the financial problem," Janelaze Hunt said from her home in Reston. "I just want them to bring him home back here in America." Janelaze Hunt said she is still married to Thomas Hunt and asked that the State Department help her in bringing him home. But a friend of Janelaze Hunt's, Albert Dermott, who also lives in Virginia, said the State Department cannot assist them because Thomas Hunt is not in a "destitute" condition.

The Sun's inquiries to the State Department about Thomas Hunt were not answered at press time. Janelaze Hunt said Thomas Hunt currently owes the Philippine hospital money in addition to the added expense of flying him home. Dermott said Hunt needs to come back to the U.S. to get better medical care, but right now "financially, it's not feasible." Janelaze Hunt said she's currently contacting people to ask for money and working at a department store in Virginia to send $100 a week to Thomas Hunt in the Philippines. In addition, she said, Thomas Hunt receives a Social Security check for just over $1,000 that is directly deposited into their joint account. Because of his failing health, she said, Thomas Hunt granted her family members in the Philippines access to the account to help pay for his medical expenses. Hammon said Thomas Hunt does not have the money to pay for his medical expenses. "He's a basic working stiff like the rest of us, he didn't have a lot of money to retire on." To help with the medical costs, currently at several thousand dollars, a group of wives of expatriates living in Cagayan de Oro has set up an account to accept donations. The account with Wells Fargo is in a private individual's name, and Janelaze Hunt and Dermott said they both are wary of the strangers' willingness to help. "Something just doesn't seem right when a stranger does that out of the blue," Dermott said. But Elmer Zink, who lives in Maryland and heard about Thomas Hunt's condition through social networking Web sites for expats, said he personally can't help Thomas Hunt but wants to help in any way he can through the Internet.Pastor Glenn Connell of Valley Baptist Church in Yuma said he's known Thomas Hunt for about 8-1/2 years.

He said Thomas Hunt was an active member of the church when he lived in Yuma and brought wife Janelaze several times. He said Thomas Hunt conferred with him on his decision to move to the Philippines. "I did have a very strong opinion," Connell said, though he declined to say what his opinion was. Hammon said he was also originally skeptical about his former stepfather making the move, but "he's a grown man." "To me, if he was following his heart and he was going to be happy, then more power to him," Hammon said.--Stephanie A. Wilken can be reached at swilken@yumasun.com or 539-6857.Source http://www.yumasun.com/news/philippines_49...mer_united.html

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Very interesting read .......

Mr Lee
    Posted
    Posted
    In addition, she said, Thomas Hunt receives a Social Security check for just over $1,000 that is directly deposited into their joint account. Because of his failing health, she said, Thomas Hunt granted her family members in the Philippines access to the account to help pay for his medical expenses. Hammon said Thomas Hunt does not have the money to pay for his medical expenses. "He's a basic working stiff like the rest of us, he didn't have a lot of money to retire on." To help with the medical costs, currently at several thousand dollars, a group of wives of expatriates living in Cagayan de Oro has set up an account to accept donations. Source http://www.yumasun.com/news/philippines_49...mer_united.html
    I am sorry but something here is terribly wrong and if he is receiving $1000 a month in SS then her family must be using it for themselves and not paying the hospital. First thing is that someone needs to see where that money is going. I would not donate to just any cause because 1) that money should be enough to cover his care.2) Something does not add up with why his wife is not in the Philippines helping him. I read some of this elsewhere and it seems she is only interested in herself and her green card and US citizenship IMHO.Why the hell would he move to the Philippines without her?

Markham
    Posted
    Posted (edited)
    In addition, she said, Thomas Hunt receives a Social Security check for just over $1,000 that is directly deposited into their joint account. Because of his failing health, she said, Thomas Hunt granted her family members in the Philippines access to the account to help pay for his medical expenses. Hammon said Thomas Hunt does not have the money to pay for his medical expenses. "He's a basic working stiff like the rest of us, he didn't have a lot of money to retire on." To help with the medical costs, currently at several thousand dollars, a group of wives of expatriates living in Cagayan de Oro has set up an account to accept donations. Source http://www.yumasun.com/news/philippines_49...mer_united.html
    I am sorry but something here is terribly wrong and if he is receiving $1000 a month in SS then her family must be using it for themselves and not paying the hospital. First thing is that someone needs to see where that money is going. I would not donate to just any cause because 1) that money should be enough to cover his care.2) Something does not add up with why his wife is not in the Philippines helping him. I read some of this elsewhere and it seems she is only interested in herself and her green card and US citizenship IMHO.Why the hell would he move to the Philippines without her?
    Have you not read Daisy Cline's various posts both here and ""another forum""? To paraphrase: Tommy Hunt's wife was refused a Green Card and she is/was in the process of an appeal against that decision. During their marriage, she spent all his money and incurred huge debts which resulted in selling the family home and moving into a small apartment. They agreed to move to the Philippines but because Janelaze was in the process of her appeal, they agreed he would go on ahead and she would join him. After he arrived in the Philippines, she moved to Virginia to be with her boyfriend. She withdraws his SS money and sends a portion to her family. She has so far refused to send money for his care, in spite of being asked to do so by Daisy. Her family are trying to help where they can but they don't have the money to pay for his hospital bills or even his medication - it is thanks to donors, including at east one Expat that he receives any medication at all.The published article is full of inaccuracies but this part, in particular, hints at Janelaze's attitude towards her husband:
    To help with the medical costs, currently at several thousand dollars, a group of wives of expatriates living in Cagayan de Oro has set up an account to accept donations. The account with Wells Fargo is in a private individual's name, and Janelaze Hunt and Dermott said they both are wary of the strangers' willingness to help. "Something just doesn't seem right when a stranger does that out of the blue," Dermott said.
    Considering that Dermott is Janelaze's boyfriend, it's not beyond the realms of probability that they don't welcome charitable help simply because they actually don't want Tommy Hunt to recover. Their stance is very sinister: Janelaze claims she wants her husband returned to the US - but if that's so, why is she living with Dermott, why is she not sending all of Hunt's Social Securty payments to him every month and why is she wary of others' assistance? I don't believe Janelaze has made any contact with the US State Department to request their assistance in repatriating her husband. I believe that the State Department may have been appraised of his plight by the US Embassy in Manila whose Consul was contacted by Alan and Daisy Cline on his behalf.Daisy: I think you or Alan should email the author of that article and point-out the inaccuracies of her story. Edited by Markham

Mr Lee
    Posted
    Posted

I agree with Marks comments and while I think that Daisy and Alan are doing a wonderful thing, I think the US govt should cut off his social security payments and send them to the embassy to be used to pay the hospital and not to his wife who is not paying his bills. I am sorry, but I have not read the whole thing on the other forum but I had glanced at it when it started, so I was not aware of all that had been going on, and after reading what you quoted here, I am still sorry but I still do not think that other expats should be the ones to foot the bill and if that is what an expat fund would be used for, I would be against it since the fund would never see its money again to help others with, and therefor it would not be a loan but a misplaced gift IMO.The big question is, why should other expats and of course their wives' help to pay his bills when the social security is his and not his wife's to spend as she wishes. I think the US govt should also go after her for stealing his money, wife or no wife, as long as he has been in the Philippines, he, the owner of the social security, could not have been receiving it being withdrawn in the states, so they should get it back from her by any means necessary IMO.

Markham
    Posted
    Posted
    I agree with Marks comments and while I think that Daisy and Alan are doing a wonderful thing, I think the US govt should cut off his social security payments and send them to the embassy to be used to pay the hospital and not to his wife who is not paying his bills. I am sorry, but I have not read the whole thing on the other forum but I had glanced at it when it started, so I was not aware of all that had been going on, and after reading what you quoted here, I am still sorry but I still do not think that other expats should be the ones to foot the bill and if that is what an expat fund would be used for, I would be against it since the fund would never see its money again to help others with, and therefor it would not be a loan but a misplaced gift IMO.The big question is, why should other expats and of course their wives' help to pay his bills when the social security is his and not his wife's to spend as she wishes. I think the US govt should also go after her for stealing his money, wife or no wife, as long as he has been in the Philippines, he, the owner of the social security, could not have been receiving it being withdrawn in the states, so they should get it back from her by any means necessary IMO.
    Lee,I don't believe the US Government could do what you suggest: cut-off his Social Security payments and redirect them to the US Embassy. For one thing, they would require his written authority to modify the means of payment. As far as I'm aware, his Social Security payments are credited to the US-based joint account he maintains with his wife and she withdraws it using her ATM card. As far as the Government is concerned, everything is above-board and legal.However, the fact that she is withholding sums which could be used to his benefit and that she has abandoned him to live with her boyfriend should be investigated by the authorities: she may be defrauding him and/or the Social Service Adminstration. Maybe with your contacts in US Law Enforcement you could help in this regard?As for your comment regarding whether or not Expats should help in circumstances such as Tommy Hunt, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. Personally, I do think it would be an appropriate use of funds since Hunt clearly has no alternative. Had the "Philippine Expats' Mutual Assistance Society" been formed a few short months ago, Mr Hunt might not now be in his current state. Remember the original hospital bill was 5,500 Pesos: that bill could have been paid by PEMAS on his personal undertaking to refund the Society. In practice, of course, that loan may have become a grant but at least he would have been helped and not owing the hospital over 150,000 Pesos.Anyone who becomes a subscribing member - or donates to PEMAS - has to understand that there will be circumstances where it won't be feasible, practical or morally-acceptable to insist that the amounts given to a stricken Expat are to be repaid.However, your comment does prompt me to ask: under what circumstances should PEMAS provide assistance, if Tommy Hunt's case is not one that you'd support?Mark

Jollygoodfellow
    Posted
    Posted
    There is a bigger question here.For a start should anyone move to a foreign country with out enough funds in the first place,the story says Thomas Hunt gets a $1000 US pension a month but had no other money. Is there any planning for the just incase side of things?There are 2 idiots on Lic forum who think the world should bail them out when they cant look after themselves,one has managed to return to the states but should never had made the trip in the first place.Now he cries he only has cheese to eat but must continue his education. My opinion is get a job somewhere first and continue the education at another time,even if he gets his education now he probably will still find him self with no job.Then theres the other idiot who would not listen to advice,now asking for hand outs on the forum while stuck in Cebu.I'm getting off track here but really,should anyone move or visit another country with just a low set income and no savings.The idea of a Expat fund maybe OK but then again it should only be there if someone gets robbed of all there money and have a need for a short term loan until the bank opens or some thing to that affect.People need to take some responsibility for themselves before heading off on a dream or stay home.

Markham
    Posted
    Posted
    There is a bigger question here.For a start should anyone move to a foreign country with out enough funds in the first place,the story says Thomas Hunt gets a $1000 US pension a month but had no other money. Is there any planning for the just incase side of things?
    He would - and should - have had other money had his wife not incurred such high debts that forced him to sell his home to pay for them. However, US$1,000 (PHP47,709.92 at today's RoE) is enough to live on in the Philippines if you have a fairly simple lifestyle. He had no "Plan 'B'" because he couldn't afford it.
    There are 2 idiots on "another forum" forum who think the world should bail them out when they cant look after themselves,one has managed to return to the states but should never had made the trip in the first place.Now he cries he only has cheese to eat but must continue his education. My opinion is get a job somewhere first and continue the education at another time,even if he gets his education now he probably will still find him self with no job.Then theres the other idiot who would not listen to advice,now asking for hand outs on the forum while stuck in Cebu.
    The first-mentioned only became unstuck after returning to the US: here he was fine. Compare and contrast with the second person you mentioned: he could - and should - have remained in the US until he had sorted-out his finances. After being fired from his job (gross misconduct) he decided to bring-forward his move here to be with his girlfriend. Although he can't afford a pot to piss in, he's planning a grandiose wedding this October for 1000 guests!!! Not forgetting that the girl in question is a minor.
    The idea of a Expat fund maybe OK but then again it should only be there if someone gets robbed of all there money and have a need for a short term loan until the bank opens or some thing to that affect.People need to take some responsibility for themselves before heading off on a dream or stay home.
    There are times when even the best-laid plans can be rendered to naught by dint of fate - Murphy has a lot to answer for!Mark

Mr Lee
    Posted
    Posted

Mark, I am sorry but there were no plans, and definitely not the best laid plans on his part.Mark, a fund should be set up to help people who helped themselves and did not get themselves into the mess they are in. He moved to the Philippines without setting up income for himself here. Very poor planning on his part. He left a woman in charge of a joint account that had already bankrupted him. Extremely poor planning, and now you want to bail him out because his wife will not pay his bills. I am sorry but he already knew who and what she was before he came back to the Philippines without her. Sometimes people get what they deserve IMHO. Think about it.We also cannot expect the US govt to bail him out because his wife is stealing his money, they are already paying him and it is not their fault that he left his wife in charge to steal his money and came back to the Philippines without her. If it was his choice to return to the Philippines without her, he should have taken his money with him or at the very least moved it out of her control.Now as for me helping to solve the legal issue, a family member must file the complaint in order for the govt to act. A stranger cannot file a complaint, no matter who he knows. It is possible that someone from within the social security administration could do something and I would be happy to put out some feelers to see if anyone can look into that but I doubt that any formal things could be done without a family member or himself signing the charges. I will be in CDO next week and see Daisy and Alan and see if I can get the necessary information to pass it on to the proper authorities to see if they will investigate but I fear the way govt works that he will be long gone before they do anything to help him even if they stop the funds his wife is getting and then go after her for the money she is stealing.It will be a sad ending no matter how anyone looks at it and getting members to pay his bill would not be a prudent use of expat funds IMO.

Markham
    Posted
    Posted
    Mark, I am sorry but there were no plans, and definitely not the best laid plans on his part.Mark, a fund should be set up to help people who helped themselves and did not get themselves into the mess they are in. He moved to the Philippines without setting up income for himself here. Very poor planning on his part. He left a woman in charge of a joint account that had already bankrupted him. Extremely poor planning, and now you want to bail him out because his wife will not pay his bills. I am sorry but he already knew who and what she was before he came back to the Philippines without her. Sometimes people get what they deserve IMHO. Think about it.We also cannot expect the US govt to bail him out because his wife is stealing his money, they are already paying him and it is not their fault that he left his wife in charge to steal his money and came back to the Philippines without her. If it was his choice to return to the Philippines without her, he should have taken his money with him or at the very least moved it out of her control.
    Lee, I can not disagree with you. However neither you nor I know all the circumstances of their marriage or his move to CDO. But we can surmise. If all he had left, after his wife cleaned him out, was his $1000 pension then that would go considerably further here in the Philippines than in Yuma. He came here believing that his wife would join him once she had settled the matter of her Green Card. By leaving her in charge of the ATM card he was assuming the husband's responsibility of providing for his wife financially and, one presumes, he felt he could trust her to send him funds sufficient for his needs. It would appear that he no longer received funds from her once he was admitted to hospital.Mark