Ubuntu 10.10

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm Hoping someone can advise me on upgrading my now unsupported version of Ubuntu 10.10, my main computer is very sick and is now refusing to open, that had XP pro as its operating system, I have another computer with ubuntu 10.10 installed and am using that now, however the 10.10 version stopped receiving any support back in 2012, my computer is now always telling me to upgrade to the next OS which is 11.10, however when i try to upgrade I'm told that not only is the version 10.10 unsupported but so is the 11.10 version, I'm also told that I must upgrade in the correct order till I reach today's active version [ I think 12.10] and that I cant jump direct from 10.10 to 12.10, with out doing a full reformat then new install of the 12.10 version, I'm not a computer guy much more a user than a installer, so would welcome any advice, so please should you reply write as if your talking to a five year old, in the hope that I may understand.

Thanks

retired
Posted
Posted

10.10 is pretty old stuff for Ubuntu . I am using 12.04 at present but do prefer the older classic desktop interface used in the earlier versions of Ubuntu . Just my opinion but i have found upgrading through several versions to be a bit of a hassle . You may want to download and burn as an ISO and install newer version if you can back up your current files , etc. You can also order on-line free from Unbuntu but takes up to a month to receive here in the Philippines . Or , i or perhaps someone else can just burn you an ISO copy and send to Cebu or wherever . Linux guys are usually pretty helpful.   :-)

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Uncle Bob I think is the expert on this subject so when he sees it you should get another answer. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Go into Terminal and install the command "do-release-update" and then hit enter.

This is how a server is normally updated for the simple reason that many servers do not receive all the updated version but rather are done whenever the tech department gets to - and thus must be able to jump over other releases during an upgrade.  Stand-alone PCs normally are updated by using the command "apt-get dist-upgrade" but this won't jump over multiple releases.  Using "do-release-update" will.

For those who think LInux is all about scripting?  These are really the only 2 scripts I ever need to use and often I will have to look them up as I rarely use them and forget what they are until I give myself a reminder. 

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

Go into Terminal and install the command "do-release-update" and then hit enter.

This is how a server is normally updated for the simple reason that many servers do not receive all the updated version but rather are done whenever the tech department gets to - and thus must be able to jump over other releases during an upgrade.  Stand-alone PCs normally are updated by using the command "apt-get dist-upgrade" but this won't jump over multiple releases.  Using "do-release-update" will.

For those who think LInux is all about scripting?  These are really the only 2 scripts I ever need to use and often I will have to look them up as I rarely use them and forget what they are until I give myself a reminder. 

Hi Bob, I just tried using the command you gave, got this message:

user@user-Not-Specified:~$ do-release-update

do-release-update: command not found

user@user-Not-Specified:~$

Markham
Posted
Posted

John, the correct command is: sudo do-release-upgrade

johnb
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark, just tried  sudo do-release-upgrade, that is accepted I'm then prompted with a flashing cursor to add (sudo) password for user, however the command box wont allow any text, so i cant give any password, the cursor simply flashes, if i push enter, then the request for password is repeated:

user@user-Not-Specified:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade

[sudo] password for user:

John

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark, just tried  sudo do-release-upgrade, that is accepted I'm then prompted with a flashing cursor to add (sudo) password for user, however the command box wont allow any text, so i cant give any password, the cursor simply flashes, if i push enter, then the request for password is repeated:

John

This is a standard password prompt. What you type in is not shown to you so someone looking over your shoulder can't read your password.

Just type your password in and hit return.

johnb
Posted
Posted

John

This is a standard password prompt. What you type in is not shown to you so someone looking over your shoulder can't read your password.

Just type your password in and hit return.

Thanks for that, just retried and password was accepted, however after appearing to work it stopped in the middle, stating some third party files could not be installed, then continued before stopping again stating fetching incomplete and suggested that the Internet connection maybe the problem [my connection is fine] this is the same reply that i get when trying to access 11.10 via the normal upgrade procedure via updates, i imagine its simply because 10.10 and 11.10 are no longer accessible via the net since there support stopped last year. it looks like i will need to do a full install via a disk, if this is the case I may as well simply install windows XP as I'm more familiar with that O/S.

Thanks all for your help

John

i am bob
Posted
Posted

John, I put the information you need to upgrade below.  I wanted you to see this so you will know in the future if you ever need to access something like this again.  

You can still access the older Ubuntus on the alternate install site.  Ubuntu doesn't put them up on the main site as easy to find because first time users would be confused by all the different variations available - it's best to just put people who are new into the current version.  Once people learn a little about how Ubuntu works, it's much easier to figure these things out.

I goofed - I guess I  assumed you were more familiar with your Ubuntu - I make this same mistake with just about everybody who uses Ubuntu...  hehe!  Just about any time you do anything in Terminal, you will need to log in as a SuperUser.  Others o/s will say Admin....  Anyway, when you try to do something and it comes up saying an error like it did for you, just type sudo and repeat the command.  The next line will ask you for the password.  And, even though most things will require you to log in under the Sudo cmd, you do not want to do that right away as some apps you will install will not work if installed under the SuperUser.  So to keep things easy and not have to go through pages of instructions, always try to install as a normal user first and then use Sudo if it asks.

When you are told that third party files could not be installed, don't worry.  These files were for an outside program / app / driver / etc that you will need to get the files from yourself.  How do you do that?  99.9% of the time, just use the app and it will see that it needs an update.  It will then either do it on it's own (if you allowed it) or it will ask you if it can do the update.  Sometimes - not very often - it may ask you to go to the website to upgrade or even more likely install a newer version.  But before you do that read this part below and save yourself a few minutes.

And now for the Fetch issue - which is actually quite easy to get around.  It is caused by other apps that you have previously installed that are, by the way they are installed, incompatible with the version o/s you are trying to upgrade to.  That is about as untechnical I can do right now - I just started my first coffee of the morning!  So how do you fix this?  Well, you could go into your Software Centre and look under "Other Software"...  Some or all of these are the culprits and won't work in this version after the update.  So just simply disable or - better yet - remove them.  You could use the command "ppa-purge" but I prefer to use this after doing it the long way and I still get the fetch error.  After all, why leave things installed that don't or won't work?

One thing to note when doing your upgrade - not all versions in between may upgrade and may show a similar error.  Easiest way to look at it?  If it doesn't shut down the upgrade, it's still doing something.

Hope this helps!