Best Reccommended Vpn To Use In The Phillipines?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was using Hotspot Shield for quite a while and was always reliable that is until recently. It would no longer allow me to connect forcing me to install the upgraded version. So ok, I'll bite. I upgraded. Tried to stream...Not allowed from your region. Huh? OK, I went on speedtest to see what server I was locked on to and guess what? I was using London! I'm like what the h e ** is this? I checked on their support site. It says the country is selectable. But...There's a catch. It works only in the "Elite" version! I said to myself, "Sorry I'll pass" and uninstalled it. I'm now worried at this point because I need this to use Xoom to do my pension transfer to my BDO account. I started to Google VPN's and looked at many. Most were pay sites until I stumbled onto this site. It is called Soft Ether. It is a free program sponsored by a Japanese University who feels that no one has the right to censor what you want to watch. This program works great. It will allow you to lock on to any available free VPN site in any country it has on it's list. I did a tracert to Google to see if my PLDT IP showed up and it didn't. Cool. I was not only able to do my Xoom again but lets me see streaming like CBS, HULU etc not just in the US but BBC in UK for those from UK. Of course there was some latency. After all, it's from the RP to the destination country. If I connect to lets say CA or OR, it pings between 280-400 ms. My speed is within 80% of my normal speed. I can post the link to get it if Tom says OK.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I use VyperVPN.  It cost a little bit more than Stong VPN but has great flexibility.  I can switch exit countries as much as I want, they offer OpenVPN 160 bit & 256 bit, PPTP, and L2TP.  I don't really know the difference but I have found that Open works better for some countries and PPTP for others.  (but it is $15 USD a month)

My problem is just the connection is a bit slow sometimes.  I can watch Netflix but sometimes a 30 minute show takes almost an hour with buffering!  That is not a VPN problem - just a Filipino problem...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was using Hotspot Shield for quite a while and was always reliable that is until recently. It would no longer allow me to connect forcing me to install the upgraded version. So ok, I'll bite. I upgraded. Tried to stream...Not allowed from your region. Huh? OK, I went on speedtest to see what server I was locked on to and guess what? I was using London! I'm like what the h e ** is this? I checked on their support site. It says the country is selectable. But...There's a catch. It works only in the "Elite" version! I said to myself, "Sorry I'll pass" and uninstalled it. I'm now worried at this point because I need this to use Xoom to do my pension transfer to my BDO account. I started to Google VPN's and looked at many. Most were pay sites until I stumbled onto this site. It is called Soft Ether. It is a free program sponsored by a Japanese University who feels that no one has the right to censor what you want to watch. This program works great. It will allow you to lock on to any available free VPN site in any country it has on it's list. I did a tracert to Google to see if my PLDT IP showed up and it didn't. Cool. I was not only able to do my Xoom again but lets me see streaming like CBS, HULU etc not just in the US but BBC in UK for those from UK. Of course there was some latency. After all, it's from the RP to the destination country. If I connect to lets say CA or OR, it pings between 280-400 ms. My speed is within 80% of my normal speed. I can post the link to get it if Tom says OK.

Links to sites that help us in our daily lives (but not other expat sites without permission please!) and that are not a source of income (no spammers please!) are fine.  Or to say it another way - it is fine to post this link.  Thank you for asking first!

:thumbsup:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Links to sites that help us in our daily lives (but not other expat sites without permission please!) and that are not a source of income (no spammers please!) are fine.  Or to say it another way - it is fine to post this link.  Thank you for asking first!

:thumbsup:

TY Bob. Here it is....

http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_softether.aspx#windows

• Like 1