Can Your Children Get An Adequate Education In Cebu?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Just a word on graduates of non-US medical schools wanting to work in the US. All medical school graduates, domestic or foreign, must complete a 1-3 year residency program before obtaining a medical license. 

I believe it is the same in Canada. More than just residency,there are exams as well. Canada sent a team of professors to Manila last year to teach the PI professors on how to teach nurses for employment in Canada.

There are many doctors, engineers, lawyers, and other foreign professionals driving taxis or delivering pizza here because their degrees are not recognized.

The History of Rizal is not needed.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
In an emergency when equipment are useless without electricity, American and Canadian trained med techs cannot do the lab work.

Canadian Med Techs are trained in this.  Actually Canadian medical personnel are trained well  beyond the American standard in just about every field.  That is why many of our med techs, nurses, doctors and so on go to the USA while starting out - they can get jobs over everybody else very quickly and usually start out much further ahead than their American counterparts.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The Canadian program you mentioned sounds like an MLT program -- both are good career choices, the Technologist offers much more opportunity for career growth .

Yes, the Canadian program is a MLT with 4 weeks OJT for 34 weeks in all, at same tuition domestic or foreign. One usually gets hired at the place of the OJT. Most courses in PI are 4 years such as Criminology (Police), Practical Nurse, Tourism, etc. Here, Toronto Police training is 20 weeks, practical nurse is 16 months straight or 2 years regular. What bothers me in PI are the useless courses and the 5.5 hour gap between courses everyday. That is what drags it on for 4 years. Also, after 4 years training, and after passing the board exam in criminology in PI, my nephew still has spent 9 more months processing papers with no job yet. One needs a "backer" to get a job. Here you need to pass a test first, then do the training, then you have a job. They only train for the jobs needed. In PI, thousands take the training, many fail (last one was 37% pass rate out of 7,000), many cannot get a job so they work as security instead.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
In PI, thousands take the training, many fail (last one was 37% pass rate out of 7,000), many cannot get a job so they work as security instead.

There are many colleges and universities in the Philippines known as "Diploma Mills." The nursing schools are graduating 70,000 to 80,000 new nurses every year without much prospect in finding employment within their chosen field. What the government is trying to do is eliminate the diploma mills by making the licensing examination really tough. About one third pass on the first, second or third attempt. Nursing schools will low passing rate among their graduates are being closed. Those will high passing rates like the University of Santo Thomas and Centro Escolar University purchase full page newspaper ads congratulating their students who pass. It's a form of advertising if the ad headline reads, "100% Passed."

Even if they pass the licensing examination, employment is not guaranteed. One estimate is 400,000 registered nurses are unemployed or underemployed. Everyone dreams about deployment overseas. The Holy Grail is a nursing job in the United States. Unfortunately, the US recruitment rate is between 800 to 900 Philippine nurses a year.

Edited by JJReyes

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I would add that all too many schools, especially public schools, harm your child's education rather than helping. The most damaging thing they teach children is that learning is not fun and should be avoided. When learning really is very natural and almost all children through their play are actually learning life skills. If I had children I would keep them out of formally organized schools whether public or private and try unschooling and peaceful parenting.

I think part of what you say gets lost if you were thinking of homeschooling.

(When learning really is very natural and almost all children through their play are actually learning life skills.)

If a child does not socialize, interact and come across many different questions or answers rather than a one on one type of learning then my opinion is that child is missing so much. If a child goes to school he or she is exposed to a varying environment which can not be achieved by staying home with one or two parents. 

I believe a child needs both, schooling with other children and time with parents to learn more. Just my opinion.  :)

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I would add that all too many schools, especially public schools, harm your child's education rather than helping. The most damaging thing they teach children is that learning is not fun and should be avoided. When learning really is very natural and almost all children through their play are actually learning life skills. If I had children I would keep them out of formally organized schools whether public or private and try unschooling and peaceful parenting.

I think part of what you say gets lost if you were thinking of homeschooling.

(When learning really is very natural and almost all children through their play are actually learning life skills.)

If a child does not socialize, interact and come across many different questions or answers rather than a one on one type of learning then my opinion is that child is missing so much. If a child goes to school he or she is exposed to a varying environment which can not be achieved by staying home with one or two parents. 

I believe a child needs both, schooling with other children and time with parents to learn more. Just my opinion.  :)

Home school is just the name applied to those parents who choose to educate their children themselves. That does not mean they are locked up in their room with a nose in books all the time. Since it takes much less time to learn at home what children learn in a public school, home school children have more time to pursue other interests. Go with family around town on errands or other educational opportunities and interact with other people, many of them adults.

The claim that home schooled children don't socialize is a negative stereotype that those in the education industry promote. Sure there are outliers where that occurs but the vast majority of home schooled children have much better social skills than there peers in public schools.

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

My three kids came here aged 8.9 and 17 from the UK. My eldest worked for a year in a call center and then applied for a Uni course in the UK.. (Just graduated as a Chemical engineer)..

The other two attended a private school in Tagbilaran.. The second eldest asked me if it would be possible for him to go one day to the UK and go to a UK Uni like his big brother which gave me a real dilemma.. After some research I soon realised that Universities in the UK would most likely not accept his grades from a Filipino school..Ouch!

I ordered 5 IGCSE courses from the UK from a home learning Uni in the UK and took him out of school for one year.. The courses include 2 years online tuition from British teachers for a 2 year period. 

After year one,he was so far ahead and well into year 2,that we decided to put him back into his old school here so that he could graduate the high school system here..(One more year to go)

About the only place he could take his IGCSE exams in the R.P is at the British school in Manila,so we booked them late last year and he took the exams just over a month ago.

If he does well,he can do the same with his A levels and then apply direct to UK universities if he still wants to.

Whew!! What a huge weight off my mind!!

BTW.. My daughter (the youngest) wants to go to college here after she graduates..

Everyone happy thank goodness!

Edited by fred
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The claim that home schooled children don't socialize is a negative stereotype that those in the education industry promote. Sure there are outliers where that occurs but the vast majority of home schooled children have much better social skills than there peers in public schools.
Not fully relevant, but perhaps some hints:

When I started school 1960, I could tell by the behavour who had been in kinderkarten and who had been at home. (Back then most had mother at home at least until start school, so there where kids to socialize with in both places, which mess up some the comparing with home schooling  :)     Anyway I could "guess" corect for everyone except one of all I didn't knew. How?   By the kindergarten kids were much louder and ruder   :mocking:

BUT that's isn't a fair comparing for kindergartens - some can be good - because I suppouse an other very important factor was difference in attitude between the parents, who had a housewife and them who gave higher priority to work. (Back then all Swedes could afford to have one parent stay at home, except single parents, but they were very few. Only one had such in my school class.)

Btw - The reason I even had such psychological thoughts already as a 7 year old small kid, depends of I had spend more time than average with grown ups, being much with grandparents, because I liked it. My thinking were more like grown ups than my mother's already when I were 4, and when we were asked in school what we wanted to work with as grown ups, all other boys answered the common firefighter, police or locomotive driver, while I wanted to be scientiest. But I weren't a thick glasses "neerd" type, but a "sport" type   :)

A main thing school did to us was making us BOORED of learning things   :bash:    although all were eager to learn, when we started school.

Supporting - but NOT any much pushing - parents are very important.