Going Into The Property Market Business For Extra Income?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

is it worth spending money converting a place into DOORS, as they call them ,looking at making upto 7 DOORS, just a room and rent that out,

I am not looking at making millions but a steady income to help pay towards our retirement

This type rental looks most attractive to me IF I have someone reliable to take care of it, take rent payment, etc.  It is all about location though.  Location to jeepney transport, schools, shopping, etc.  You know folks in this type rental will NOT have their own car (maybe a scooter).

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

is it worth spending money converting a place into DOORS, as they call them ,looking at making upto 7 DOORS, just a room and rent that out,

I am not looking at making millions but a steady income to help pay towards our retirement

This type rental looks most attractive to me IF I have someone reliable to take care of it, take rent payment, etc.  It is all about location though.  Location to jeepney transport, schools, shopping, etc.  You know folks in this type rental will NOT have their own car (maybe a scooter).

well Emmas dad will be living on the complex and he3 will be managing everything, its close to a factory and to schools, there is jeepneys everwhere too, so there could be something in it

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Well. Surely it can be true, but at least in Sweden the trend is MORE HEALTHY, and I know there are big alternative energy investments in e g Germany.

Sweden has 9M people, mostly older than 35 (non-smokers), Indonesia has 240M, PI has 105M and then there are China, India, the rest of Asia, Brazil, and the rest of South America, mostly on the young side with many smokers and drinkers.

Alternative energy is subsidized by governments as it is too expensive. It is a good idea but just not practical. There is not enough alternative energy in the world to charge the cell phones in use. You can't fly a passenger plane or fight a war with alternative energy.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. Surely it can be true, but at least in Sweden the trend is MORE HEALTHY, and I know there are big alternative energy investments in e g Germany.

Sweden has 9M people, mostly older than 35 (non-smokers), Indonesia has 240M, PI has 105M and then there are China, India, the rest of Asia, Brazil, and the rest of South America, mostly on the young side with many smokers and drinkers.

Alternative energy is subsidized by governments as it is too expensive. It is a good idea but just not practical. There is not enough alternative energy in the world to charge the cell phones in use. You can't fly a passenger plane or fight a war with alternative energy.

Yes, but North Europe and USA are still more rich, so there can be enough health customers there for me and some more  :)

--

Are you sure all concerned countries subsidez alternative all energies, the poor developing countries too?

(E g I know Phili have an ethanol production Goal/Plan, but do they give any subsidizes?)

Do you realy include ALL alternative energies in your statement about cellphones?

E g the ethanol production is big  and can be used to make electricity of wanting too, even if it have better use alternatives  :)

and the vegetable oil production is big too, and beside they have many other use, they can be used as car diesel and electric production too.

• 1 month later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

/But (parttly) because of much more farmland are used for producing alternative energies as e g making ethanol by sugar canes and corn, food prices have gone up much, so some types of food production/farmland I believe can be good investments for the future. 

re you sure all concerned countries subsidez alternative all energies, the poor developing countries too? (E g I know Phili have an ethanol production Goal/Plan, but do they give any subsidizes?)   Do you realy include ALL alternative energies in your statement about cellphones? E g the ethanol production is big  and can be used to make electricity of wanting too, even if it have better use alternatives   and the vegetable oil production is big too, and beside they have many other use, they can be used as car diesel and electric production too.

Cornell University professor David Pimentel  estimates that it takes approximately 1.3 gal. of oil to produce a single gallon of ethanol. 

Here is the link to the full article: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/4237539

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Cornell University professor David Pimentel  estimates that it takes approximately 1.3 gal. of oil to produce a single gallon of ethanol.    Here is the link to the full article: http://www.popularme...iofuels/4237539

Yes, I had read it's low effectivity when producing ethanol in USA using corn and using much mashinery to grow the corns. I don't know if it's same bad effect when they use sugar canes (as in Brazil) or coconuts (as in the test in the Philippines.)

If the numbers I have read are corect, then it seem it's better to make coco DIESEL (=mix in some coco oil in petrolium diesel). They claim the fuel need is reduced by 9 %, when using such mix. Plus geting the advantage by some of it is reproducable fuel  =Far from perfect, but less bad than just using petrolium fuel.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Regarding alternative energy. In the US state where I resided the big powerful Republican political families made sure an ethanol mandate was passed into law. Of course they and their buddies were all invested in ethanol production plants. Then the big powerful Democrat political families got a green energy initiative passed which mandated that a percentage of electricity come from "green" sources. Of course that political family and their buddies were all invested in some wind energy farms.

Nothing like passing laws to ensure you profit from your investments.

Over time I have learned to ignore anything politicians say and evaluate them solely on what they do. A corollary is to follow the money, find out who profits from what politicians do. To me this isn't a partisan issue, both sides play the game, they just have different styles.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Innocently enough, this topic of Property Market Business is slowly coming off the tracks.

Perhaps we could discuss alternative energy in another topic, OK?  I would love to tell the

fat cats sleeping together (politicians, CEO's, bankers) that they all have syphilis!

Respectfully -- Jake

• 4 weeks later...
Dea
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic, Real estate rental that is. My wife own and operate several apartment complexes in US and have been assessing doing something like that in Phils, Dumaguete to be exact. The numbers do not work well at all with almost everything we have tried. There seem to be many owners of just one or two units that charge a lower rents than are justified. In other words it is cheaper to rent than own the property. As one of the posters stated the value of the property he is renting for 12,000 php per month at 1.5 mil php. The return 9.6 % of the gross, that does not include other costs such as Hoa and maintenance and management fees and that is at 100% occupancy and 100% collection. These assumptions are not realistic and the actual return on this particular investment would probably be about 4% at best, possibly less. In my opinion this is not an investment I would be involved in.

Real estate should be bought for its cash flow not appreciation as some do but rather for the long term as it is very illiquid as you know and others have commented on.

We are currently looking at niche markets in real estate in the Dumaguete area but nothing really exciting yet. Commercial real estate in Phils is almost as dismal an investment as residential in my opinion. Of course there is little to no money to be borrowed which makes it even more difficult.

If you are really interested in real estate investing I suggest you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. He has many other books that are available also.

Best wishes on your investing journey.

Dean