Scuba Diving

Will
Posted
Posted

I met a guy at the US Consulate who owned a diveshop in Moalboal. He said he just sold it at the beginning of this year, and didn't really say anything else about diving, even when I mentioned that I was interested in maybe learning. Really nice guy, though. Me and the wife hit it off with he and his wife right away.

I've since signed on to a major scuba forum and I saw him on there. He is a master instructor and is always giving advice to anyone that asks. I'd like to ask this guy if he could give me some training, but don't want him to think I'm trying to use our "friendship" as a way to get something for nothing (not that I'm opposed to that! J/k lol) I just hate looking all over creation for an instructor that is worth a darn, if I have one that is already right in front of me. How should I go about asking this guy? Assuming he is still in the dive master business to begin with. :/

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Will, on 16 Feb 2013 - 17:45, said:

I met a guy at the US Consulate who owned a diveshop in Moalboal. He said he just sold it at the beginning of this year, and didn't really say anything else about diving, even when I mentioned that I was interested in maybe learning. Really nice guy, though. Me and the wife hit it off with he and his wife right away.

I've since signed on to a major scuba forum and I saw him on there. He is a master instructor and is always giving advice to anyone that asks. I'd like to ask this guy if he could give me some training, but don't want him to think I'm trying to use our "friendship" as a way to get something for nothing (not that I'm opposed to that! J/k lol) I just hate looking all over creation for an instructor that is worth a darn, if I have one that is already right in front of me. How should I go about asking this guy? Assuming he is still in the dive master business to begin with. :/

Who is this guy, which dive center did he sell recently?

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Will, on 16 Feb 2013 - 12:19, said:

Scotty's at shangri la sent me an email for pp22,000 +12%vat for owc. That seemed a little high to me, but what do I know ('cept I'm a cheap basstid) Got steered to a guy with Mactan scuba center from a scuba forum (prolly from the guy at Mactan scuba center!) Website says 14,000 for owc. That sounds gooder to me. So I'm awaiting return email to verify that price includes everything. Thanks for all the good info, guys.

Ask for a discount, can only say no. Tell them your not a tourist. As my friend said quality comes with a premium.The water is a different animal and should be respected

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

would be interesting to know who this is. my mate from neptune been here about 22 years does not know who this could be. maybe tongo or badian ?

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lived in Moalboal for two years, know the better dive centers there but too far away for the original post (Will) but here is my insight as to the best outfits in Moalboal both of whom have been operating for a long tried and tested time.

http://www.neptunediving.com/ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Neptune-Diving-Adventure-Moalboal-SantanderCebu-Philippines/114868232934 great food also.

http://www.savedra.com/ http://www.facebook.com/SavedraDiveCenter?fref=ts

Both places I would highly recommend and some great diving down there also.

I agree that Moalboal would be a much better place to learn.

Nepune Dive Center is good I liked the divemaster who was my partner.

Nelson's Dive Center Moalboal is great. I've gone there for over ten years its the only Filipino owned Dive Center on Cebu. I trust them enough to have my oldest son get his open water there when he was 16. Had to keep a close eye on him those pesky girls were on him like stink on.............

Agreed! Nelsons also a great place, saw my first whale shark 8 years ago with them and of course celebrated with a couple of cases of beer afterwards Edited by Geoff Thomas

Will
Posted
Posted

Sorry, slept late this morning. I like it when I can sleep late! ;)

I don't want to say the guy's name, but I've been reading some reviews from his customers/students and Wow! they all rave about him  and his teaching style. His diveshop was a smaller one in Tongo (?) I believe. It was called Outer Reef. Really good reviews, shame he doesn't have it anymore. Just my luck... always a day late and a dollar short! Do "master dive intstructors" give personal lessons? How would that work for certifications? See, I really REALLY don't have a clue. 8:P 

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Sorry, slept late this morning. I like it when I can sleep late! ;)

I don't want to say the guy's name, but I've been reading some reviews from his customers/students and Wow! they all rave about him  and his teaching style. His diveshop was a smaller one in Tongo (?) I believe. It was called Outer Reef. Really good reviews, shame he doesn't have it anymore. Just my luck... always a day late and a dollar short! Do "master dive intstructors" give personal lessons? How would that work for certifications? See, I really REALLY don't have a clue. 8:P 

Wow amazed I did not know about http://www.facebook.com/pages/Outer-Reef-Adventure/139628019445486

Read some reviews and for sure he sounds like a great guy. Sure if you ask on the link you may find where he has moved to.

• 2 weeks later...
jkim248
Posted
Posted

oh hey,  I'm a diver.

Open Water.

I stayed at Shangri-La at the end of last year and dove with Scotty's.

Probably the most expensive dive center.  Cost my wife and I like $700+ for 2 tank dive + equipment rental + VAT.

They have a nice shop, good equipment, nice dock, pretty good boat but considering the cost I expected a REAL dive boat.

I don't know the quality of their instruction.

But they do take out a lot of resort guests out every day.

Because they are part of a resort, I don't think they do discount and that 12% VAT really hurts.

Now that I have an apartment, I dive with Kontiki. http://www.kontikidivers.com

They're on the cheaper end. Like $30 per dive.

I shuffled my schedule around so I can dive every day if I want to.

I will probably start my Advanced Open Water with them and if I like it, add Technical and maybe even Dive Master.

But the 800 meter deep water swim intimidates me.

I sink like a rock. Even in Sea water.

I'm not completely happy with them.

You have to wade through water to get to their boat.

Even though it has a over head cover, it's a small boat.

Most places will give at least 10% discount.

If asking doesn't work, pay in cash and ask for the cash discount.

That usually works. ;-)

I think I would go ahead and bite the bullet and go with Scotty's.

I'm not sure where other shops do the swim test, wading test, and other practices you do in a pool during your Open Water Certification.

Also, ask if the pool is heated or do it during warm months because it's hard to breath when you're cold underwater.

PADI material is the same at every place.

The quality of pool practice and time is probably the most important for Open Water Certification.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Doesn't anybody do NAUI certs any more?  We used to laugh at PADI and referred to it as "Put Another Dollar In" dive association.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Cost my wife and I like $700+ for 2 tank dive + equipment rental + VAT

It is good to finally have some dive discussions going here!   :thumbsup:

What did you get for $700?  I'm confused   :89: