Living In Rural Leyte.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I looked roughly at your blog site. Interesting, but good if you add sonme values (=living costs, house build costs including telling which year.)

I think both my son and I agree that staying on in the Philippines after Grade School would have been a very big mistake for him. Not only was the teaching in the Philippines grossly inferior in almost every subject to what he has experienced in the UK but the 'breadth' of subjects and resources here is so much better. As the child gets further into education his environment becomes increasingly important.I know a very intelligent Austrian man in Cebu who is quite happy for his son to stay in the same school that I withdrew my son from. His reasoning is that he is quite wealthy and has influential friends among the rich, dominant Filipino/Chinese families. With his money and influential Filipino friends he can secure a guaranteed life of prosperity and influence for his son. He has no intention of ever returning to Europe and so is not concerned about his son achieving high grades in internationally recognised examinations. I am in no position to do the same for my son even if I wanted to. He is now getting a good, broad education and is proving to be very clever. He will hopefully get top grades in many subjects and from then on still has both Subject/Career areas, and the 'World', open to him.

Well. Sure contacts are important, and knowledge too,

BUT EXAMS are not important if start own business   :)

If have contact and knowledge enough to get ANY work, which have a good boss, then he will see comitments and skills WITHOUT the employed have exam, so not examed can get high jobs anyway...

(E g after I had work extra in a rather big company during High School, and they had seen results of my work, direct after High school they offered me the long time substitute Planning boss job, without I even asked! Some years later I started an own business. So exams aren't necesary to get higher jobs - if not want to be surgent or such  :)

Children who are from a background of poor or little parenting who are introduced to schools with children OF ANY RACE will not compare to those from engaged parents. This is not due to their minority status its about parenting, mentoring and good example.

Yes. Sure not a race question. But traditions are an important factor. Children to chinese, who have emmigrated, have much better after High school exams than average NOT immigrants in many countries, even when the chinese parents earn less than average in that country!  (But I have noticed some such chinese PUSH their children to hard.) Curraging is good, pushing HARD is bad in my oppinion.

Poverty is sure a problem for education, both depending of problem affording books at home and education costs.  An other very important factor is if geting nutricion enough specialy during young age, because otherwice can brain development be damaged.

(In some poor parts in South America, science have noticed a big part of the children have reduced brain capacity by missing nutricion.) 

• Like 1

relcarve25
Posted
Posted

Thomas said;    Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

I looked roughly at your blog site. Interesting, but good if you add sonme values (=living costs, house build costs including telling which year.)

Thanks for looking at my site. It's good to get any feedback. I know what you mean about perhaps giving more in depth information at times but the problem is what sort of a 'blogsite' is it supposed to be? I have struggled trying to decide that myself. It's not supposed to be a 'Lonely Planet' type of Travel Site which provides people with specific details to facilitate their travel- nor is it like the excellent Forum here which relies on being fully interactive. I suppose I was trying to combine a 'folksy' type of reminiscence about the past with an attempt to stimulate a bit of interest about what Barrio life WAS like. Behind all that is the attempt to get people to read my books to their children- or encourage slightly older children to read themselves. As I say I struggled to decide the concept I wanted to promote- doubtless I have not been very successful- but it has been interesting and instructive to do it.

Well. Sure contacts are important, and knowledge too,

BUT EXAMS are not important if start own business    :)

If have contact and knowledge enough to get ANY work, which have a good boss, then he will see comitments and skills WITHOUT the employed have exam, so not examed can get high jobs anyway...

(E g after I had work extra in a rather big company during High School, and they had seen results of my work, direct after High school they offered me the long time substitute Planning boss job, without I even asked! Some years later I started an own business. So exams aren't necesary to get higher jobs - if not want to be surgent or such   :)

I certainly understand what you are saying, Thomas, and the world is full of examples of people who have 'made it' in spite of little or no higher education. Perhaps I have a bias towards trying to achieve your highest ACADEMIC potential because I have absolutely no talent or flair for 'entrepreneurial', business type work. I couldn't sell something to save myself. However, even in this world where success seems to be mainly related to wealth, I do believe that most young people have a better chance of getting to the first rung of the career ladder if they have demonstrated both a high level of intelligence and the determination to show what they can achieve. In your own case you were obviously talented but perhaps you were also a bit fortunate to be in 'the right place at the right time?' But what do I know? I'm clearly not a 'success' by business standards.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thanks for looking at my site. It's good to get any feedback. I know what you mean about perhaps giving more in depth information at times but the problem is what sort of a 'blogsite' is it supposed to be? I have struggled trying to decide that myself. It's not supposed to be a 'Lonely Planet' type of Travel Site which provides people with specific details to facilitate their travel- nor is it like the excellent Forum here which relies on being fully interactive. I suppose I was trying to combine a 'folksy' type of reminiscence about the past with an attempt to stimulate a bit of interest about what Barrio life WAS like. Behind all that is the attempt to get people to read my books to their children- or encourage slightly older children to read themselves. As I say I struggled to decide the concept I wanted to promote- doubtless I have not been very successful- but it has been interesting and instructive to do it.

ok. With that purpouse, you don't need to tell the facts I asked for  :)   because you have other target readers.

(I aim at live something similar as you did, that's why I'm looking for cost facts to see if my estimates are corect.)

I certainly understand what you are saying, Thomas, and the world is full of examples of people who have 'made it' in spite of little or no higher education. Perhaps I have a bias towards trying to achieve your highest ACADEMIC potential because I have absolutely no talent or flair for 'entrepreneurial', business type work. I couldn't sell something to save myself. However, even in this world where success seems to be mainly related to wealth, I do believe that most young people have a better chance of getting to the first rung of the career ladder if they have demonstrated both a high level of intelligence and the determination to show what they can achieve. In your own case you were obviously talented but perhaps you were also a bit fortunate to be in 'the right place at the right time?' But what do I know? I'm clearly not a 'success' by business standards.

Well. I have noticed many people with exams see exams and education as SAME,

while I see it as MUCH DIFFERENT   :)

EDUCATION is very important,

while EXAMS are ONLY important when needing to be officialy certified (as e g surgents) or if apply to a work where no one knows of you so only exams can show what you can.

(Myself I don't bother much about economical wealth, as long as I have enough to live OK. Actualy I have MOVED AWAY several steps from where it's least hard to earn much. (=Swedish capital city > smaller city  > forest   > and now I'm planning to move to Philippine "bush"   :hystery:

No luck involved in my case  - except if counting who got as parents  :)        - My father had contacts, which made I got my first job outside family. There they saw my skills and I work hard - I mean I work hard, when I work   :)   - after that I had easy to get later jobs by references, until I started own company when I were 25.

Actualy when I were 16 years old I had plans geting an academical exam, but then it become bad economy in Sweden, made many people WITH EXAMS not geting jobs they had education for, not geting any job at all or had to start at a unskilled position anyway when they were older, so I skiped my post High school exam plans, because I thought it's better to start at low level when I'm 19, than after I have spend years studying  :)   

But I HAVE studied higher education subjects, mainly by myself, made some grade tests direct without teacher when I bothered, but mostly I have just study to get the KNOWLEDGE.)

Btw - a big part of new examed academics believe they know everything, believing they will get top boss jobs direct  :hystery:  although they normaly DON'T have enough knowledge even if they are among the top grades of the examed...

(E g concerning structuring BIG computer programs it's more or less impossible to work as they teach in University/College, because very few REAL developings are that small as their study examples...  Well. It's possible, but would be very ineffective   :mocking:

One of my friends - (who are in the Philppines now to meet a perhaps future wife btw)  -  got a high business exam with top grades, but I had very funny when he did claim how business functions. Now after I have tried to tell him in 25 years he STARTS to understand the missing parts of the basics   :hystery:    (Many of high educated economists don't understand a big part of how economy functions ISN'T mathematics but psychology, because most people aren't that rational when they decide...)

• Like 1