Buying A Car

alsuave
Posted
Posted

Has anyone tried getting a auto loan from a US Bank and using that to pay in cash for a car in the PI? I'm currently looking at financing a new vehicle but the terms offered by the dealer seem ridiculous to me.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I don't believe that a US bank would allow you to use a vehicle in a foreign country as collatera for the loan.

l believe you would have to use other collateral in the US if they will not make it a signature loan . I own Real [land] property in a different state than I live in in the US and my local bank would not loan money against the out of state property.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

US banks retain the pink slip when they make a car loan, so that would not be possible on a foreign bought car.

The car dealers here make a killing on loans.  Most loans have ridiculous rates, by western standards.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I called up my bank in the US (USAA), and they were very cool. The will accept a loan for a vehicle in the Philippines. However, the dealer won't accept a check from a foreign bank. So I guess I'm still stuck.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

If your bank will actually go for it, tell the dealer he can hold the car until the check clears. You have survived this long, what's another couple of weeks ? :)

Edited by robert k

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I called up my bank in the US (USAA), and they were very cool. The will accept a loan for a vehicle in the Philippines. However, the dealer won't accept a check from a foreign bank. So I guess I'm still stuck.

Be careful what you tell USAA about your living situation.  I was going to open an account there but when I told them I was living in the Philippines, they would not open it.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I told them that I split my time between the US and the PI and therefore I need a car here too. They were ok with this.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Another option for some people who still have a home or property in the US is to use a home equity loan.  They don't really care what the money is used for.  I thought about this.

alsuave
Posted
Posted

What's the best way to exchange a large amount of USD into a PHP? My US bank is willing to offer me a loan to purchase a car in the PI, but the dealer will only accept payment in PHP.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When building our house, we exchanged a very large amount. Our bank told us that their rate was lower than what we could get from a normal money changer. They called a money changer that they usually work with and we arranged a time the next day. We wired our money from the states, with drew dollars, handed it to the money changer, who gave us pesos. Very safe and saved a lot of peso with the better exchange rate.

• Like 2