Bruce
Posted
Posted
Off Drudge report link to France 24 news

Home > Filipina nanny set for US trial against Sharon Stone
Filipina nanny set for US trial against Sharon Stone
By blade
Created 15/03/2013 - 21:53

A US judge cleared the way Friday for a Filipina former nanny of Sharon Stone to go to trial against the US actress for wrongful dismissal and harassment, including racist abuse.

Lawyers for Erlinda Elemen, who worked as a live-in nanny for the "Basic Instinct" star until she was sacked in 2011, announced last year that she was suing the actress.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mary Strobel ruled that Elemen's lawyers had provided enough evidence to support her allegations of harassment, failure to prevent harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination.

"We're pleased that the judge recognized that the plaintiff's claims should proceed," said lawyer Solomon Gresen, adding: "We look forward to our July trial date."

The trial is tentatively set for July 30.

Stone's lawyers sought to have the case dismissed, arguing that comments by the actress did not amount to harassment.

"All we have is that Ms Stone made comments about Filipino food, Filipino accents," said lawyer Daniel Gutenplan.

When the lawsuit was announced in May, the actress's publicist slammed the legal action as "absurd," claiming the ex-nanny was simply trying to "cash in" on Stone.

The lawsuit claimed the star equated being Filipino with being stupid, and ordered her not to speak in front of her children so they would not "talk like you."

Stone also banned Elemen from reading the Bible in Stone's home, even though she lived with her to look after the actress's three children, and frequently traveled with them.

From August 2010, Elemen "was repeatedly subjected to repeated derogatory comments and slurs by (Stone) related to her Filipino ethnicity and heritage," said the 17-page lawsuit.

Elemen, who was hired in October 2006 and was promoted to head live-in nanny two years later, was dismissed in February 2011, after Stone learned she was paid overtime when traveling with the children and on holiday days.

Stone told her nanny that she had no right to overtime pay, and accused Elemen of "'stealing' from her by taking the... overtime pay," telling her it was "illegal" to have taken the extra pay and demanding the money back, court documents showed.

The lawsuit asks for an unspecified amount for unpaid wages, damages and penalties, and is seeking trial by jury.

In 2011, the actress was ordered to pay $232,000 in compensation to a worker who injured his knee after slipping and falling in her backyard in 2006.

•  

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

The rich again! Slavery again! Abuse again!......always seems to be the rich and famous who believe theyre so much better than the rest of us, I have no sympathy for them when there lives go tits up!

earthdome
Posted
Posted

All we have here is what the nanny and her lawyers allege happened in their lawsuit. Just one side of the story.

If the nanny didn't like how she was treated or paid she could always leave.

This sounds like someone and their lawyer trying to shake some cash out of the money tree.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The rich and famous are such easy targets. This live-in nanny was being paid "about $1000" a week. Not bad.  

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

I believed, the Nanny had legitimate claim however I also believe she was or her lawyer was overstating their claims.  I guess, is par on course when you engaged a lawyer when a simple lawsuit becomes big lawsuit.  The nanny had worked with Sharon Stone for quite a while before she was elevated to head nanny.  In those 2x years, she must have known what Ms Stone was like but instead accepted the elevated position when offered to her – WHY???????  Me thinks, the nanny had kissed Ms Stone butt which is not uncommon practice by Filipinos and got confident that Ms stone will treat her right.  Tough luck my dear – should known better that leopard don’t change spots!

Ms Stone, if the press can be believed was always been known to be obnoxious and demanding to little people.  So I don’t think an ethic employee can get away scratch free dealing with Ms Stone.  In my opinion, they deserve each other! 

The nanny loses my sympathy when she listened to her lawyers over stating her case.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have never understood what people saw in her. Always seemed like a bitch to me.

I think she is just mad because 90% of the women here are prettier than she is - and 100% are more genuine.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Reading the comments attached to these articles makes it clear that Ms Stone has already been tried and found guilty in the court of public opinion. Here's a part of the lawsuit, “Plaintiff will continue to suffer extreme physical and mental anguish and emotional distress and will continue to incur medical expenses for treatment by health professionals and other incidental expense related to treatment. Plaintiff further has been compelled to retain the services of counsel and will continue to incur legal fees and costs. Plaintiff requests that all medical, attorney, and expert witness fees be awarded.” This is in addition to any actual damages awarded for physical, mental, and emotional distress.

I hope that the plaintiff, Mrs. Elemen, will eventually be able to recover from all the injuries inflicted upon her by Ms Stone who is also being sued by a former housekeeper, Ms Angelica Castillo. I just have one question: How does one go about obtaining an employment application from this horrible person?

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Reading the comments attached to these articles makes it clear that Ms Stone has already been tried and found guilty in the court of public opinion. Here's a part of the lawsuit, “Plaintiff will continue to suffer extreme physical and mental anguish and emotional distress and will continue to incur medical expenses for treatment by health professionals and other incidental expense related to treatment. Plaintiff further has been compelled to retain the services of counsel and will continue to incur legal fees and costs. Plaintiff requests that all medical, attorney, and expert witness fees be awarded.” This is in addition to any actual damages awarded for physical, mental, and emotional distress.

I hope that the plaintiff, Mrs. Elemen, will eventually be able to recover from all the injuries inflicted upon her by Ms Stone who is also being sued by a former housekeeper, Ms Angelica Castillo. I just have one question: How does one go about obtaining an employment application from this horrible person?

Well, the issue here that I see is a mix of cultures. As a Kano... if I am belittled or abused... I am free to leave! If I stay... then I must have given implied consent. Remember this is a direct employer / employee relationship which differs from an abusive manager or coworker and the company fails to stop it. It is the employer herself supposedly doing these things and that to me means it is a part of the job, as nasty as the attorney tries to make out to be. The employee allowed this to continue rather than leave and THEN she wants to sue.  

But as a Pinay culture of taking the abuse..... and making 40,000p a week......all was OK until some other person talker her into seeing an attorney.

The legal fees on both sides far out weigh any damages. The attorneys know it and try to blow it way out of proportion so there is a settlement rather than have to face a jury and such questions as.... if you were not locked in a cage and traveled daily in your duties... why stay?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I know somebody who worked as a personal assistant to several stars.  So I called her up last night and asked her about this.  She told me that there are 2 usual ways the workers are contracted - either through a corporation that specializes in this sort of thing or often the person (star, rich person, etc) will have their own corporation producing the contracts.  At one time the newer workers were only there for a short time and then start to sell information to the tabloids.  So it is now pretty standard in the contracts that if they are fired for certain actions, they are penalized somehow - usually financially. That goes the same if the worker quits before the contract is over - there is a financial penalty.  Over time many of the more "frugal" have learned that it is cheaper to only employ these workers for a certain period of time and then start treating them like crapola so the worker will quit.  Those that don't are then fired as all the name-calling and screaming at the worker has now established that they are bad workers - at least in the eyes of the these employers.  Sound familiar?

We need a Thumbs Down emoticon....  hehe!   :unsure:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

But as a Pinay culture of taking the abuse..... and making 40,000p a week......all was OK until some other person talker her into seeing an attorney

Both of the lawsuits were filed after the employees were terminated for cause so (presumably) they were ok with the treatment while they were being paid and, in the case of the live-in nanny, living in a mansion. The basis of the nanny suit is that she was repeatedly subjected to derogatory comments and slurs related to her ethnicity and "heritage", a euphemism for race. What lawyer wouldn't jump at the chance to put a celebrity racial bias case in front an LA jury? Judging by the comments, Ms Stone seems to be much-hated. Justified or not, throw as much dung against the wall as you can and see what sticks. She'll probably settle and both these individuals will retire wealthy.

• Like 1