For Canadians Who Don't Want A Credit Card But...!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Canada keeps changing too!

Years ago (1980s) I had a Visa / Visa Debit / Debit card in one.  I could use the Visa as a regular Visa or to use funds from my bank account when debit was not a payment option. Yes, my debit for my bank was on that same physical card.  Then, early 1990s, they spit the cards again and removed the Visa access to my bank account.  In the earlier 2000s, I looked into a Visa Debit situation again but all that was available at the time were prepaid Visa cards - not what I wanted.  It was just recently I became aware that there are actual Visa / Debit access cards again.  And the one I was referring to was the Virtual Visa Debit which is harder to rip-off as it is strictly on-line, telephone or mail-order - there is no magnetic strip for Visa access.  Since the money comes from your bank account any way, it isn't really necessary.  

Hint - if you wish to reserve a hotel room on the Virtual Visa Debit, if they enter your card normally as per over the phone, that money comes off your account instantly.  If you prefer, ask them to use a manual slip and that you will be paying cash when you are there.  The manual slip gives them their security if you break the reservation or take bath towels or bath robes or whatever else you can do to be charged extra.