Toyota Avanza - Any Experiences?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm shopping for a car and the Toyota Avanza is one I have seen for reasonable prices.

They are made for Toyota by Daihatsu at an Indonesian plant.  Daihatsu is controlled by Toyota.

They are often used for taxis.

I like the size of these for my needs but I know nothing about the quality and reliability.  Has anyone owned or driven one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avanza 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I hear they are more of a "city" version vehicle as the engines are too small (1.3 or 1.5 litre engines) for big hills when the car is loaded.  Apparently they aren't the greatest on rough country roads either.  But then what do I know?  I haven't driven one and am only going by second hand information.  They do look good though!

Robert12
Posted
Posted

Hello,I rented a toyota in cebu,the last time i was there.I have rented toyotas before at avis in cebu at earlier times when i was there.This was a new one and it did not seem to have the power that the toyota,s i had before.I,am not sure if it was a Avanza or not.But any toyota probley needs to be really test driven on grades etc,to check out the power.---

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

No good! They rattle and squeak and shake. Doors are flimsy. Seats are poor. As taxis, even with low mileage, they are rough. Very small tires. You have to shut the a/c off when you pull out to pass a car. Maybe OK in LA, but not on these PI roads. Toyota Vios are better. Avanzas must be less expensive but you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

No good! They rattle and squeak and shake. Doors are flimsy. Seats are poor. As taxis, even with low mileage, they are rough. Very small tires. You have to shut the a/c off when you pull out to pass a car. Maybe OK in LA, but not on these PI roads. Toyota Vios are better. Avanzas must be less expensive but you get what you pay for. 

Yes, I hear you.  If I get a car like this it will be a stopgap measure if I can't find something better quickly.

• Like 1

seraglios
Posted
Posted

Well I did have an Avanza in Indonesia for 2 years and I had no issues with it whatsoever. Used it mainly for city driving but we did take it out for long drives of up to 8 hours on (Indonesian pot holed) highways and again had no issues.  

You are right about Diahatsu, I believe it was a joint collaboration between the two and Daihatsu call them Xenia and Toyota Avanza

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I drove an Avanza today and it was not bad.  It is a 2008 and it has a few noises, but I would consider it after having a mechanic look at it.  I like the footprint of the car and the room it has for a small car / mpv.  I'm going to look at a 2009 tomorrow that looks nicer with less km on it (supposedly!).

These are both base models so they don't have many amenities.  Roll-up windows, not electric, etc.  Fewer things to break, I guess! 

One issue with finding a car is that Subic is a very small market so there are not that many used cars available.  It is about an hour or so to go look in Angeles or San Fernando, and I am hoping to avoid that.

There are a ton of converted Japanese cars here.  We stopped by a lot today and I glanced in a few.  The right to left drive conversions look pretty clean but if there is a squeak in the dash it would drive me crazy, so I will not be going down that road.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I did end up buying an Avanza today.  Found a 2009 1.3 J with very low km, I hope!  It is super clean so I hope the km is correct.  No interior wear and tear at all.  Everything looks new.  Took it to a mechanic and he said it is fine.

They are not bad little cars.  Turns on a dime and it does ok on the local hills.  It should sip gas.  It will probably bog down if it is heavily loaded.

Last April I had a 436 hp 08 Vette.  This April I have a 90 hp 09 Avanza!  :hystery:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Back home in the USA I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C that I bought new sitting in my garage. Gotta sell that the next time I return back to the USA.

I have been in the Philippines now for almost 4 months without a car. Surprisingly, I don't miss driving that much. Every once in a while I will think, gee, wish I had a car. Especially when I go visit places outside San Fernando, La Union and have to take the bus.

Eventually I may want to get a car here, but to this point there is no burning need for a car. In those rare occasions a car would be useful I can either rent a car to drive or rent a car and driver.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

I did end up buying an Avanza today.  Found a 2009 1.3 J with very low km, I hope!  It is super clean so I hope the km is correct.  No interior wear and tear at all.  Everything looks new.  Took it to a mechanic and he said it is fine.

They are not bad little cars.  Turns on a dime and it does ok on the local hills.  It should sip gas.  It will probably bog down if it is heavily loaded.

Last April I had a 436 hp 08 Vette.  This April I have a 90 hp 09 Avanza!  :hystery:

Wow, from 436hp down to only 90 ponies?  Talk about a change in lifestyle!  Looks like a nice family car.  

Can it be used for a temporary dog house whenever you get in trouble with the commander in chief?  

post-686-0-10108700-1365082791_thumb.jpg

By the way, fellow member Gapotwo (EJ) knows his way around there.  After all, Olongapo is his

hometown and has many connections....he, he.

• Like 1