Banking Privacy In The Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you are on to a good thing here but 20,000 to 30,000 is about two to three weeks living expenses. If you are going to live off the debit or credit card, why bother? If I were worried about the bank and things that could go wrong, I would still probably keep 2 months living expenses in the account and deposit a check monthly to replenish what I take out, keep debit and credit cards for backup, insurance for the hospital.

That's true, and I never really though about it like that. But then again, my living expenses are almost nil and I'm living in a poorer part (and probably the iffiest at best safety wise)of the Philippines. All I have is rent, food and cellphone/wireless expenses which is very cheap at the moment. But I think that will all change once i move somewhere else. I could live off the debit card, but where I'm at right now, its not advisable. I try to keep all purchases on a cash basis, unless i go on one of my exploratory excursions then I'll use my debit card. And thankfully I haven't gotten anything worse than a case of diarrhea (knock on wood)and that was from eating too much at Jollibee(Aloha burger meals) :hystery:

I learn more here all the time. In the US when I think I need a good cleaning out I buy a couple of bottles of magnesium citrate, now I know that all I really needed was to eat at Jolly Bee a couple times! :)

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
I learn more here all the time. In the US when I think I need a good cleaning out I buy a couple of bottles of magnesium citrate, now I know that all I really needed was to eat at Jolly Bee a couple times! :)

But unlike the magnesium citrate, the Aloha burger meal at Jollibee tastes so damn good and it adds a few extra pounds. Not only that it takes a couple of days to really open you up (usually when you least expect it :morning1: :hystery: )

jon1
Posted
Posted

On the topic of safety deposit boxes. I haven't been able to find this service yet here in the Philippines. Another thing to take into consideration is, once you do find a place that offers safety deposit boxes, how to get the contents insured??

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
But unlike the magnesium citrate, the Aloha burger meal at Jollibee tastes so damn good

What! We have no such Aloha meal at Jollibee on Samar.  :th_unfair:  All we have is the basic YUM and then the upgrade to the real(er) 1/3rd pound clone burger which is sopping wet with 'sauce'.

• Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

But unlike the magnesium citrate, the Aloha burger meal at Jollibee tastes so damn good

What! We have no such Aloha meal at Jollibee on Samar.  :th_unfair:  All we have is the basic YUM and then the upgrade to the real(er) 1/3rd pound clone burger which is sopping wet with 'sauce'.

I'm not sure about Cebu (or if they have one)but here in Zambo land, its all the rage in all the Jollibees. Just talking about it has my mouth watering, but I've got to remember why I ended up taking immodium ad in the first place and give it a rest :unsure:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am not real thrilled with banking service over here.  So I have my main account still in the US  (USAA).  Here, I have a US dollar account that I transfer my money into and on a monthly basis, using XOOM.  Then I transfer my p30,000 monthly allowance into the peso account (try and watch for a good exchange rate).  I can visit the ATM 3 times a month for p10,000 each trip.  I only have 1 month worth of extra money in the dollar account.  With credit cards and my US ATM card I don't really see a need for more than that. 

I have not looked for safe deposit boxes here.  I just use my safe at the house to keep my important documents.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

On the topic of safety deposit boxes. I haven't been able to find this service yet here in the Philippines. Another thing to take into consideration is, once you do find a place that offers safety deposit boxes, how to get the contents insured??

Almost all major banks have them ... we have had ours for almost 5 years (we had to wait almost 8 months for one to become available ..... when we moved to Bacolod 8-10 were available immediately) .... just read the fine print because each bank has it's own rules and regs on how they handle their safety deposit boxes .... and no I have found no way to insure it but then I have never checked with anyone ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
/3rd pound clone burger which is sopping wet with 'sauce'.

Gonna have to check that one out, if they have it at this Jollibee. If its anything like the aloha, then I'd better go out and buy a box of immodium ad because if its anything like you've described I'm going to need all the help (gastrointestinal)I can come up with. :714_full_of_crap: :woohoo:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Guys, the topic is Banking Privacy not Health and well being.