Vegetable Seed Give Away... Harder Than I Thought.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just gotta have my fresh tomatoes and peppers and lettuce and greens and carrots and radishes and basil and oregano and parsley and garlic and...

:dance:  :thumbsup:

Bob.... Several trips ago I tried to make spaghetti sauce here. I had a hell of a time on Samar finding the spices. No ground beef either  :th_unfair: and I had to physically restrain one daughter in law from dumping a cup of sugar into it..... They do sell large foil packs of sauce here and one is labeled 'Italian Style'..... LIES all LIES!  

Since then I bought large containers of the spices and included them in a balikbayan box.   

Only 1 cup of sugar?  I usually use at least 1 1/2 cups!  

Seriously, many people don't like the edge left on the sauce when it is cooked and that is why they add sugar.  Instead, try a very slight pinch of cinnamon and see what they think!  Also try using just Basil and a touch of garlic (or more) for the only additions to the tomatoes. If the basil is fresh, just shred it and add to the sauce 30 seconds before you turn the heat off.  I had a professional chef I used to see around quite often very very amazed at how simple and how good just the two items come out when making a sauce.

:thumbsup:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When I visited the Orchidarium in Baguio it was all gardeners selling flowers and plants. I saw many vendors selling starters for all kinds of different herbs. I even saw cilantro which comes in handy for mexican cooking. Once I am in Baguio full time I want to setup a small herb garden even if it is only in planters.

Even just having your own herb garden makes food so much better and easier when you go to cook.  

It's crazy but I used to love to sit out in my mother's garden and just put fresh off-the-plant Basil onto buttered Saltine Crackers.  Now when I go to visit her in the nursing home (had her 87th birthday party yesterday) and I can get fresh Basil, I will bring some with the crackers and butter.

:thumbsup:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

... course where we live in Bacolod they have these clay pot vendors along side the road where you can buy a 12in tall clay pot for p20 and they have huge ones for more .... we stopped and bought 3 the other day ....

Make sure the clay pots were fired at a hot temperature use charcoal rather than wood. Otherwise, they absorb moisture and become soft. The birds come around to peck on them. The tiny bits of clay helps with their digestive system.

Edited by JJReyes