Plumbing Store: Pressure Reducing Valve

T.Monk
Posted
Posted

I am in need of a pressure reducing valve (water pressure to our house is 120psi [sic]) and cannot find any locally in Davao City.  I thought perhaps another area in the Philippines might have better stocked plumbing supply stores.  I'd purchase online or over the phone and have it shipped here.   I went to Super Standard Plumbing Supply in Davao, but they didn't really know what I wanted.

I could order from the US or Europe, but I'd rather buy within the Philippines.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Maybe try a well service co. or a water pump supply house ..... a regular plumbing supply co may not carry such a beast ..... also just as a small hint find a picture of what you want on the net and print it ..... then take it around to the supply houses and show them ...... they call things here by other names but can usually recognize it from a picture .... I do that all the time now with everything from auto parts to hardware ..... saves a lot of time and grief .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Maybe try a well service co. or a water pump supply house ..... a regular plumbing supply co may not carry such a beast ..... also just as a small hint find a picture of what you want on the net and print it ..... then take it around to the supply houses and show them ...... they call things here by other names but can usually recognize it from a picture .... I do that all the time now with everything from auto parts to hardware ..... saves a lot of time and grief .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

What Mike said was great!  I would just add a note to the picture of the direction of water flow with the 120 psi going in and the direction of water coming out with the desired psi.  Someone might just get it backwards.

:thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Congratulations.  This is the first time I have ever seen anyone living in the Philippines having a problem with too MUCH pressure.  I can only dream of it.

• Like 2

T.Monk
Posted
Posted

Bringing a picture is a great idea, AND the arrows--I did had one guy try to sell me a bladder take that increased my pressure at CitiHardware; the device had '120psi max' printed on it.

Davao is so spread out that I cringe at again spending a day driving and maybe coming back with nothing, or the wrong thing like I have. 

Maybe someone out there not in the provinces like me in CEBU or METRO MANILA knows of a place.  I have had rather good luck buying audio equipment that way.  I find it on the internet and call a retailer in Luzon and have it sent to me.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Markham
Posted
Posted

I would be truly amazed if your water pressure is as high as 120psi here in Davao. For one thing, all the water meters I've seen are rated at just over half that. Further to that, almost all of Davao suffers from very low pressure between the hours of 8am and 2pm. The reason for that is that the huge San Miguel Brewery and the two soft-drink bottling plants here in the city are all drawing their daily needs between those hours.

But if you really do have such high pressure, then it's possible that there's no reducing valve fitted to the line just before the meter (which there should be) and Davao Water should be informed who should fit one at low or no cost to yourself.

T.Monk
Posted
Posted

Well, be amazed b/c the 100psi pressure gauge broke immediately upon install and the 200psi gauge reads between 110 and 120 psi right now.  Please remember that the water is not supplied by Davao City, but by a private well maintained by the subdivision developer.

I have a Davao Water meter, and never thought of informing them.  Thanks for that idea.

We had checked the government's subdivision "code" about water supply and it only mentioned words like "sufficient" water or "potable."  From that I reasoned that that complaining about pressure would fall on deaf ears like most things.

I wish I had contacted Davao water, like you said: 'But if you really do have such high pressure, then it's possible that there's no reducing valve fitted to the line just before the meter (which there should be) and Davao Water should be informed who should fit one at low or no cost to yourself."  

There is no such valve anywhere here in the subdivision.  I think they expect the subdivision to bleed it down to 50psi once development is complete.  That would be, in my opinion, about 15 years from now.  Meanwhile no money is wasted on pressure valves, but my appliances get damaged. "That's your choice."

I took a picture all over DC and got nowhere. No one was familiar with it.  I WISH I WOULD HAVE GONE TO DAVAO CITY WATER NOW gd-it. Our plumber found a place in Manila which had some kind of valve for 80,000 [sic] PhP.  our plumber is honest, so that price is not inflated by him--probably the distributor.  This all spoken in a Filipino dialect which I do not understand, so that 80K might be for a huge tank for all I know.

Anyway, I bought a Pressure Reducing Valve from a plumbing supplier in the US for $100, and it's stuck in tariff-ville for a day now.  It takes in up to 300psi and can be adjusted to 25-75psi, preset at 50.  This excites me.  

I would be truly amazed if your water pressure is as high as 120psi here in Davao. For one thing, all the water meters I've seen are rated at just over half that. Further to that, almost all of Davao suffers from very low pressure between the hours of 8am and 2pm. The reason for that is that the huge San Miguel Brewery and the two soft-drink bottling plants here in the city are all drawing their daily needs between those hours.

But if you really do have such high pressure, then it's possible that there's no reducing valve fitted to the line just before the meter (which there should be) and Davao Water should be informed who should fit one at low or no cost to yourself.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why could you not just install some gate valves after the meter and adjust the flow?  Like only turn them half way on?

T.Monk
Posted
Posted

Thanks, but no--we tried that gate valve experiment a lot of ways--as well as ball valves-- but in the end the volume of water was restricted such that faucets just trickle.  They affect volume too much.

When we turned the gate valve down 1/4 turn at a time it just reduced the volume even though the pressure stayed at 115psi-- until it got down to a trickle of water at 115psi.

Strange but true. 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Strange but true.

No not really you would get the same pressure just not the same volume ...... even if you shut the water almost entirely off when the volume built back up you would have the same pressure ...... there is a formula about pressure and volume but I forgot all that crap and now when I need something like that I just Google it .....  :mocking:  :mocking:  :cheersty: