Proposed New Visa

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I did notice at the time, that the difference between a 5 year and a 10 was not that much in difference and did for a moment think about spending the extra little to do so, however decided that a 5 year was all that was required and still less expensive. I do agree that hopefully when I renew, (well you can't renew your passport apparently, you can only apply for a new one), I will be in a position to get the 10 year one.

Thanks for the update and info.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I made the mistake of changing my status from British to Canadian? Why, well simply put, it costs less to get my Canadian Passport than it does to get my British Passport,

But the Canadian Passport (at the moment) is only good for 5 years and your British one is good for 10 so I bet you kick yourself in 5 years time when you have to do it again.

For adults applying in Canada, the fee for a 5-year ePassport will be $120, and the fee for a 10-year ePassport will be $160. The 10-year ePassport will actually cost Canadians less per year of validity than the current non-electronic 5-year passport (at $87).

View an overview of the new passport fees to come into effect on July 1, 2013.

Thanks JP!  I was about to start looking into getting my passport at the end of May...  I wasn't aware (did I forget?) that there was a 10 year passport available.

:thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
(well you can't renew your passport apparently, you can only apply for a new one),

If you are physically IN Canada, here is the link for a simplified renewal of your passport.  But if you are outside the country you have to apply as if for a new passport.  

Bidar Dundat.

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave, I did that as well, but when I was in the Canadian Embassy in Manila, they told me that no Canadian Passport is renewed no matter where you are. What you have to do is actually apply for a new one each time! However obviously if you already have one than the previous information, providing your passport is not over due my more than 30 days is used.

Never really thought about whether you could renew or not, but certainly am glad to finally have one, after walking around and working here in the Philippines for over 1 year without a passport!!!!!

Papa Carl

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When they say "renew" your passport, they really mean they are going to send you a new passport using the old information - as long as it has not changed beyond what they allow.