Elections - A Safe Time For Expats?

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

With the Elections coming up in a week or so does anyone have any major concerns for the safety of expats?

Do different areas have more reason to worry than others? Maybe some of the more experienced members can shed some light on do's and dont's & where or where not to go. Im sure it'll be of interest to any new comers or visitors coming over at this time.

Im usually out of the country at election time, not this year, :(. ......need to save my pesos up for my december arrival :)

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Foreigners can't vote so if we don't engage in a heated discussing about politics then we have nothing to worry about personally but as usual stay out of locations where there could be gun fire or a bomb explosion. I will be in Western Mindanao during election time so I will have to dodge the bullets.

• Like 4

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm enjoying the benefit of all the road works they are doing around cebu brought on by the upcoming elections. Just too bad they havent started fixing the cracks on the north road around Tayud Lilo-an. Maybe its the same old mob that get voted in so they don't make the effort lol. Too bad. Luckily the road on our mountain farmlet in Argao has been wonderfully upgraded.

Edited by Fred & Mimi
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Nothing to worry about for as long as you do not involve your self in politics conversations and which one is good or bad. anyway you do not vote so in case a conversation as such goes on around you...take a cold san Miguel and let them be, if they ask you, reply "I do not vote so I have no opinion"

avoid crowds as such since they might get in hot arguments and I do not think you want to be around on such cases.

Hey guys,

The upcoming elections next month is only a mid-term circus.  Nevertheless, expect more road blocks

to check for loose firearms and convoys and convoys of loud speakers, mini-fiestas and parades.

As Joe and Americano suggested, don't get yourselves involved in any potentially heated discussions.

Several years ago, a verbal spat between two cousins resulted in one of them being hacked to death.

They were arguing who was the prettiest in a local beauty pageant.  Of course, they were drunk.

Watch you six guys -- Jake

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

On election day, it is best to stay at home and out of sight.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Many years ago there were many killed in Cotobato (?) including reporters being there to observe,

and I suppose it can be risk to be where there are (fake ?) NPA attacks in Negros Occidental inland,

and perhaps more similar situations I haven't heared of, and end up in crossfire by accident,

but beside from such, I don't believe it's any extra risk for expats during election

=Just SMALL risk change.

• Like 2

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i was in Angles City during the election of gloria , i just stayed at the hotel didnt go out at all , until the night time i never heard of any problems , as others have said just stay out of site as much as possible !!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Agree with much of what has been said, however will add one more thought.

Those who know me know that I am not an advocate of guns in the hands of the public, however I have thought how nice it would be to have one on several occasions lately at around 7 to 8am when all the of the owner jeepneys ride around my neighborhood blaring as loud as possible ridicules music and political crap for one or another candidate.

I even went as far as to stand on my balcony with my daughters water pistol in hand and attempted my best at shooting each and everyone of them.

I even put a sign up on my gate stated that this household would vote for any candidate who promises not to send these loud obnoxious sound machines past my house, additionally we would vote, (I know I can't but they don't know that) for any candidate who could guarantee to make sure our rubbish was picked up twice a week as were promised when we moved in!!!!

Not sure what I will resort to next, but if you see a crazy looking Canadian standing on a balcony brandishing the biggest Yellow and Blue space looking gun. ..... get out your umbrella.

You have been warned!

P.S. 

Also went for my new sticker registration on my owner, only to be given a piece of paper stating that I had paid for it, and was told that the stickers should be available once the elections were over?????? What is that all about!!!!!

Only in the Philippines! That is why we love it so much!!!!! :hystery:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
and was told that the stickers should be available once the elections were over?????? What is that all about!!!!!

not sure what "STICKER" you mean.
but i think its any STICKER THAT HAS THE clowns face elected officials posted on it, as they wait so the RIGHT FACE is on it for the next 3 years.

In regards to safety, just avoid areas where "trouble"may occur. polling stations, and any drunks,,
as for me, i feel secured in my part of sta rosa, , no need to worry ,
just the same precautions ,,,, Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2