List Of Controlled Meds, When Entering For A Holiday

northwind
Posted
Posted

So, I got this problem, I can not find the list of what medication I can bring into Philippines and which quantities. I have searched everywhere on the internet, tried to crawl thru most of what FDA had, but didn't find anything (in old and new version). And big part of the problem is the quantity, for how long stay can i bring them in for.

Does anyone know where to find the list for importing them in on arrival? I somewhere did find list of medication available in Philippines and none of what I do take were on it.

Hopefully someone has the time to help me out, next step is emailing FDA/Embassy, which tbh I would rather not do.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It's been sometime since I read it, but my recollection is the World Health Organization recommends travellers to limit their supply of prescription medication to 90 days. You need to keep the medicines in the original containers with the prescription information pasted. This information usually includes the name of the pharmacy, phone number, quantity or volume, doctor's name, RX number, your name, special instructions. etc.

Customs won't bother you except when the medication contains opiates or other substances popular with addicts like valium and anti-depressants. They may ask a few question or conduct a more thorough of your bags, but it won't go beyond that because you have a legitimate prescription.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I found a nice website for looking up generic equivalents of brand name medications, including listing what country that generic is available in.

A couple of hints. Do a general search, don't click on the "Search Philippines". When scrolling down the list at the bottom there will be a link to show all results. I did searches based on brand name using the "Search" button, then scrolled to the bottom and hit show all and found the Philippine generic names for all 3 of my medications.

http://www.igenericdrugs.com/

I also brought 4 months of prescription meds with me last Dec. I did as recommended above. I kept the prescriptions in their original containers with all the info. Except for what I needed traveling they were just packed in my normal checked luggage which in 4 trips into the Philippines has never been checked by customs.

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

It's been sometime since I read it, but my recollection is the World Health Organization recommends travellers to limit their supply of prescription medication to 90 days. You need to keep the medicines in the original containers with the prescription information pasted. This information usually includes the name of the pharmacy, phone number, quantity or volume, doctor's name, RX number, your name, special instructions. etc.

Customs won't bother you except when the medication contains opiates or other substances popular with addicts like valium and anti-depressants. They may ask a few question or conduct a more thorough of your bags, but it won't go beyond that because you have a legitimate prescription.

The flight i took last year from LAX. to Manila was a PAL. Balikbayan flight, they let me board with a one way ticket, and when we landed in manila airport, went thru immigration and got a Balikbayan stamp, then procedded to baggage claim and out the door. no customs or any one checking anything.  i  could have had enough prescription pills in there to make a junky weep. I guess the Balikbayan flights get all kinds of privelages, My hand carried was never checked and my prescription painkillers were in there.  tanks EJ. :mocking: 

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

The place to ask is not the US embassy/FDA but the nearest Philippine Consulate.  This is from the website of the Philippine Consulate in Australia.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/15959-list-of-controlled-meds-when-entering-for-a-holiday/

"Bringing Medicine into the Philippines

Over the counter drugs are available in pharmacies or drug stores in the country. However, if visitors insist on bringing their own prescriptive drugs, they may do so but only in quantities sufficient for the duration of their stay in the country.

Visitors taking prescription drugs (tablets and ampoules) should bring a letter from their physician stating the condition for which they are receiving treatment and the dosage. The amount of drugs brought into the country should also be sufficient for the duration of the visit. For those who are travelling onward to another country, they are advised that separate quantity of drugs should be sealed and declared again before exiting the country."

Hope this helps.  

• Like 2

northwind
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your answers. They have lead to this small follow up question(s). At this point I can say that I use Zopiclone (active agent, lot of brands) for my insomnia, unfortunately it is not popular in most Asian countries, even though back here it is very standard sleeping pill.

Is there any kind of protocol for sending yourself prescription medication? My stay/trip/holiday is going to be well over 3 months, so I'd rather stock up before I leave for my trip and mail them to myself in Philippines, if that is possible? Of course I would use some high end courier service, would the delivery reach me, if it is possible customs wise?

Or I could email the Philippine Embassy and ask if I can bring meds for a ~12 months trip, but would love to keep that out of this at the moment.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your answers. They have lead to this small follow up question(s). At this point I can say that I use Zopiclone (active agent, lot of brands) for my insomnia, unfortunately it is not popular in most Asian countries, even though back here it is very standard sleeping pill.

Is there any kind of protocol for sending yourself prescription medication? My stay/trip/holiday is going to be well over 3 months, so I'd rather stock up before I leave for my trip and mail them to myself in Philippines, if that is possible? Of course I would use some high end courier service, would the delivery reach me, if it is possible customs wise?

Or I could email the Philippine Embassy and ask if I can bring meds for a ~12 months trip, but would love to keep that out of this at the moment.

Overall, it is pretty well standard that the most you can bring in at any time is 90 days worth.  Some countries will be less but that is easy enough to check.  If you need to bring in more, you will have to go through the proper government agency (which is slipping my mind right now) and apply for an increase.  I have already been told that mail-order drugs into the Philippines is a no-no so that throws that one out the window.

Until recently I was not a big advocate for natural medicines.  But one I have recommended for years.  I had a former room-mate who could not sleep.  It was "heck" with her crawling all over me up to as far as 4 am because she could not get to sleep.  Especially when I had to be at work for 8 am.  None of the standard sleep aids would work for her.  Prescriptions were just for passing the money over - they might as well have given her a placebo.  One day I saw a thing called Valerian.  250 mg per 20 lbs body weight for extreme issues.  If I remember, it's taken about an hour before bed.  She did, she slept, I was left to fend for myself.  I like to use this when I'm flying overseas too - 500 mg per 100 lbs body weight.  Same dosage for just a general sleep aid at any time as well.  Make sure the one you get is strictly roots and underground stems only or it won't be as potent.  Anyway, this may work for you and save you a lot of trouble.  I don't know if you can get this in the Philippines or not (somebody should have it) but there won't be any restrictions bringing it in to the country.  So why not pick up a small bottle and give it a try?  Might save you a lot of issues later...

northwind
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the fast reply and for the information. Saved me a lot of trouble messaging some officials and waiting weeks for answers. Yeah, I know what you mean with issues all too well by now :)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the fast reply and for the information. Saved me a lot of trouble messaging some officials and waiting weeks for answers. Yeah, I know what you mean with issues all too well by now :)

I also wish to express my appreciation to my fellow members in your prompt responses in helping our

new member NorthWind.  Thank god, you didn't ask me -- I would have said....sorry sir, answers not in

stock sir!  

Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

• Like 1