Windows 7 Question

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We have a nephew going to college .... well actually 2 nephews and one niece .... here in Bacolod the the other day he took his netbook an Acer Aspire 1 (good for word processing ... but that's about all) to a friend to have him format the HD (don't know why) and of course the friend didn't have Win7 Starter which is what was on the netbook to begin with ..... anyway he loaded Win XP Professional and now half the drivers don't work and he needs it when he starts back to school this month ...... as some of you may know Acer netbooks don't have a start-up or repair disk it is put on a partition on the HD ..... well when they formatted it they wiped that out as well .... 

So here is my question ... the boy has the Win 7 Starter OS key on the bottom of the Netbook ..... can I just download a OEM Win7 Starter OS from the internet and us his code key to register the OS so he can continue to get his updates and such ..... I know I can take it to one of the laptop repair shops in the mall and they will do it for p1000 ..... BUT ... he still won't have the disk should something happen again .... and we will have to pay for the repair shop to do it again ..... the first thing they asked us was do you have the key ...... I know that is important if you have a normal computer and you have to use the disks you got with it to reload the OS .....

Anyone have a clue ..... thanks

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

We have a nephew going to college .... well actually 2 nephews and one niece .... here in Bacolod the the other day he took his netbook an Acer Aspire 1 (good for word processing ... but that's about all) to a friend to have him format the HD (don't know why) and of course the friend didn't have Win7 Starter which is what was on the netbook to begin with ..... anyway he loaded Win XP Professional and now half the drivers don't work and he needs it when he starts back to school this month ...... as some of you may know Acer netbooks don't have a start-up or repair disk it is put on a partition on the HD ..... well when they formatted it they wiped that out as well .... 

So here is my question ... the boy has the Win 7 Starter OS key on the bottom of the Netbook ..... can I just download a OEM Win7 Starter OS from the internet and us his code key to register the OS so he can continue to get his updates and such ..... I know I can take it to one of the laptop repair shops in the mall and they will do it for p1000 ..... BUT ... he still won't have the disk should something happen again .... and we will have to pay for the repair shop to do it again ..... the first thing they asked us was do you have the key ...... I know that is important if you have a normal computer and you have to use the disks you got with it to reload the OS .....

Do you need me to service it? I'm Tesda NC2 cert.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
can I just download a OEM Win7 Starter OS from the internet and us his code key to register the OS

Yes and NO!  

Yes, you can download the OS but make sure that it is a complete copy and does not have viruses attached...  This is a great game for many hackers - they put the OS out there already with viruses.  If you can find a good one, you can download it and try...  MicroSoft will issue a different key for every so many copies so it may work and it may not.  I recently went through downloading over 30 copies of XP for a friend before I found one that would work with his key as well as was virus free.

I know - you are waiting for me to say download LInux.  Should he decide to go this way - as it won't cost him anything other than the internet to download it - he can install Ubuntu 13.04 (which is the latest version).  I would recommend that he then change his desktop setting to LXDE which looks a lot like Windows XP AND is very very fast as it gets rid of all the extra stuff that is not needed.  And when he downloads Ubuntu, he gets LIbreOffice which is the open-source replacement for MicroSoft Office.  And,yes, he can save his documents in Word format.  So here is a free replacement for him.  Plus the Ubuntu will be alot smoother and faster than the Windows 7.  I know - I am using the same set-up on a base Acer ASpire!  And the Ubuntu is a lot lighter than the Windows 7 - I find the Windows really drags badly as it needs a lot more RAM and/or a faster processor.

So - your options?  Probably end up paying for a new copy of Windows 7 that is not optimized for this machine - or download for free Ubuntu and get LibreOffice included for no cost again.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Have you tried downloading the Windows XP drivers from Acer?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Even if you do a fresh install of Windows 7 Starter, you will need drivers from Acer.

I have XP Home and Win 7 Starter disk images for the Acer Netbooks. When I sent several to Philippines I pulled the hard drives and put them in an external case. Then I used a program called Acronis True Image to create the backup.So if they ever have a problem I restore a new hard drive and send it to them LBC.

Bob is absolutely correct on the different versions of windows out there. You never know what you are going to get.

Format and reload seems to be the fix all in Philippines.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Right on Steve!  I didn't realize you're a crescent-hammer master technician too.  How was the TESDA

course and the certification exam in the Philippines?  Hell, you probably taught the course!

Well done sir -- Jake

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Right on Steve!  I didn't realize you're a crescent-hammer master technician too.  How was the TESDA

course and the certification exam in the Philippines?  Hell, you probably taught the course!

Well done sir -- Jake

Wow Jake. You earned a reprieve from the Engine Room :dance: . I thought is was easy but then I've been doing it for 3+ decades. They give you 3 hours to take 2 comps (1 XP Pro & 1 2k server) and strip the 2k HD, reinstall it w/ 2k + drivers while you physically disassemble the other XP comp (Right down to the CPU & heatsink.), name every major component and their functions, reassemble it and have it running. This is while you are making up 2 CAT5's. 1 straight, 1 cross. Then after all is together and running, setup the 2k to run dual LANs and set them up to run as server / client and to give the XP Internet access from the 2k. Then they give you a written test and ask you questions. For the Philippines, it's fairly thorough. Out of a test room of 8, the 1st 6 failed. I passed, the 8th one was still being tested when I left so I don't know. I got in Nov 2011. The cost was P500 and the appt time can take weeks if not months. And yes Jake, for 1 year in 2010-2011, I did teach the CHS course. Now is the TESDA the equiv of the MS A+? Not sure but I think it comes fairly close to a reciprical. And TY Sir.

PS: You are still required to maintain Flank speed.

• Like 4

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Steve, wow on the testing criteria! Now my question is, aside from you, where are all these certified technicians?

Guess the next phase will be Vista instead of XP?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Have you tried downloading the Windows XP drivers from Acer?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Even if you do a fresh install of Windows 7 Starter, you will need drivers from Acer.

I have XP Home and Win 7 Starter disk images for the Acer Netbooks. When I sent several to Philippines I pulled the hard drives and put them in an external case. Then I used a program called Acronis True Image to create the backup.So if they ever have a problem I restore a new hard drive and send it to them LBC.

Bob is absolutely correct on the different versions of windows out there. You never know what you are going to get.

Format and reload seems to be the fix all in Philippines.

FlyWay ..... I already downloaded the Win 7 Starter drivers form the Acer website as I knew they would be deleted also ..... I guess my biggest question was not HOW to do it but can I use his CD Key with any version of Win 7 Starter and I guess you and Bob answered that when you guys said it would be a hit or miss situation ...... if the tech in the mall is going to install it with my nephews key I doubt he is going to try a bunch of different Win 7 Starter programs until he finds the one that will work with my nephews key .... at lest that is just my thought ..... I know where I can obtain a clean copy of the program on the net so I'm not worried about viruses or such just compatibility with his key and I want to be sure he gets his updates because being a college student as you know they download all kinds of stuff off the web and from each other .... I've tried to tell all three not to but you know how it is .... their friends always no more than you .... :hystery: :hystery:

Thanks Guys for all your input ..... :tiphat: .... and Steve for your offer to help ... :thumbsup: .. but right now as I said I'm not worried bout the physical installation ..... or at least that is how I perceive it .... in my tiny pea brain ....  :hystery:  :hystery: 

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

The Windows 7 install disc is self contained. The only difference is what level of service you want the installer to operate. This is controlled by the product key. MS may label them differently but the files are the same. If you use the original key, it will install the level you are licensed for. If you use the anytime upgrade feature, all you are doing is unlocking the already installed features that are available for the new key.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The Windows 7 install disc is self contained. The only difference is what level of service you want the installer to operate. This is controlled by the product key. MS may label them differently but the files are the same. If you use the original key, it will install the level you are licensed for. If you use the anytime upgrade feature, all you are doing is unlocking the already installed features that are available for the new key.

Very true but there is still the issue of having the right key to initiate with that particular package. MS still issues specific keys to specific packages - though there may be 100 keys that will work on each package.  The upgrade packages (depending on what MS os you have) work one of 2 ways...  some overwrite the old key and insert the new for validation   Others will modify the script according to the key you have.  It is still a bundle of "heck" when trying to figure it out.  This was their way of getting around key generators.

• Like 1