Need Help! U.s. Brokerage

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I would recommend getting an address with a mail forwarding service like travelingmailbox.com, get an address in Florida which has no state income taxes, then change your financial mailing addresses to that address. Then change your official US address to Florida. Problem solved.

Establishing residency in another state requires additional proof. Having an official US address may not be enough. Getting a driver's license is proof. You should also vote or apply for an absentee ballot. Someone I know applied for a library card. Technically, you should have resided in a state a minimum of 180 days. This can be waived or delayed while overseas for an indefinite period. The issue is intent.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would recommend getting an address with a mail forwarding service like travelingmailbox.com, get an address in Florida which has no state income taxes, then change your financial mailing addresses to that address. Then change your official US address to Florida. Problem solved.

Establishing residency in another state requires additional proof. Having an official US address may not be enough. Getting a driver's license is proof. You should also vote or apply for an absentee ballot. Someone I know applied for a library card. Technically, you should have resided in a state a minimum of 180 days. This can be waived or delayed while overseas for an indefinite period. The issue is intent.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to establish that I live in Philippines.  I filed my 2012 taxes with my Philippines address.  I didn't want CA (former state of residence before 2002) or KY (residence 2010-2012) coming after me for taxes for 2013 forward.

I have a rental house in Florida and lived there from 2002 to 2006.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have my retirement funds at Fidelity in the U.S.

Today I received a letter telling me they could no longer service my accounts because I live in the Philippines, as of July 1st.

consider or at least look at USAA.

. they offer many services & understand if you dont live in the USA proper(conus)

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/investments_main_page?wa_ref=pub_global_products_invest

they may not be in the TOP 20 or fancy adverts yet over the years they have done well compared to others,

i dont have funds invested w/them now,when i did many years ago, i was satisfied. 

I joined USAA and unfortunately I received this response to opening investment accounts.  I wanted to test the water so I put my physical address as the Philippines.

Thank you for contacting USAA Member Advice and Solutions in regards to establishing new investment accounts and transferring your accounts from Fidelity. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer new accounts based on your physical address in the Philippines. USAA Investments, USAA Financial Advisors, Inc. (FAI), and USAA Financial Planning Services Insurance Agency, Inc. (FPS) are not registered as broker-dealers or investment advisers in any foreign country, and as such would be able to allow you to open new accounts with us. 

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you do move back to the United States, we would be more than happy to help you in opening an account at that time.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think you should forget about using the Philippines address, it only causes problems. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think you should forget about using the Philippines address, it only causes problems. 

Yup!

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A follow up on this for those of you who might be interested...

I initially expressed my displeasure with Fidelity via a few e-mail exchanges and I was really disappointed in their responses, which were supposedly from the Executive office.  All I was asking was "why" are you doing this;  what is the policy.  The responses were slow and each one was basically a copy / paste of the original letter I received.  They never have answered "Why".  I expected more from Fidelity as I have otherwise always received excellent customer service from them.

So I just changed my "official address" (online) to Florida, and called them the next day.  The agent said no problem and made sure the account would not be changed on July 1.  They really did not care where I am.  The only concern was that the address was in the Philippines.  The agent also could not tell me why.  I suspect it is a government reporting issue.

So for now I am still with Fidelity but I think I will still open at least one other trading account.