Wireless Internet, Broadboad Satellite?

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Right now I am very frustrated with Globe. We subscribed to their 4g service where we are supposed to get "up to 15mbps". So far I have not seen anything more than 1.2 mbps (speedtest.net).

I am not a happy camper and feel deceived by Globe. They should not be stating those speeds since they fully well know you cannot get anywhere near them.

Until this is resolved I do not recommend them as a carrier.

I am paying for the 2mb service and I always get 2.1 or more with Globe. It is the same as everything else in the PI, no consistency. whether it be BI, airports, banks, police, LTO, etc, it depends on where you are and who you are talking to at that moment. It varies widely. What works in one place does not in another.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Right now I am very frustrated with Globe. We subscribed to their 4g service where we are supposed to get "up to 15mbps". So far I have not seen anything more than 1.2 mbps (speedtest.net).

I am not a happy camper and feel deceived by Globe. They should not be stating those speeds since they fully well know you cannot get anywhere near them.

Until this is resolved I do not recommend them as a carrier.

I am paying for the 2mb service and I always get 2.1 or more with Globe. It is the same as everything else in the PI, no consistency. whether it be BI, airports, banks, police, LTO, etc, it depends on where you are and who you are talking to at that moment. It varies widely. What works in one place does not in another.

JP,

SO are in the Manila area when you get the 2.1mbps?

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not in Manila, but in Negros Occidental near to Bacolod. When I do the speed test, the server is in Manila.

Unbelievable!!!! I just now did the speed test twice (8:35 AM) and got 10.15 and 10.21mbs 

Edited by jpbago

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Not in Manila, but in Negros Occidental near to Bacolod. When I do the speed test, the server is in Manila.

Unbelievable!!!! I just now did the speed test twice (8:35 AM) and got 10.15 and 10.21mbs 

Philippine Internet suppliers normaly have to low capacity when many use their service at the same time.

If you test when people sleep, then you will perhaps get 15    :)

alsuave
Posted
Posted

I live in Olongapo and have a 5mbps connection. It's terrible. I don't get the speed I'm paying for. I can't wait to move back to Manila and get a 100mbps fiber connection.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just got back from a week in Manila... i would rather live without internet than live in Manila ha ha!

~Edit

but here in Iloilo I am getting a blazing fast 25 Kbps!

Edited by Tuka Ram

• 1 month later...
frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Just got today, PLDT wifi and I couldn't believe it when the installers turned up 2 hours early hahahahaha, only early stages but getting fast downloads, can open several windows at a time, had globe 3g before, absolute rubbish it was same as AUS ten years ago. Very happy camper now.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
pcendeavorsny
Posted
Posted

I'm getting feedback from a number of users in my call center. It would seem that Globe is the way to go in Manila but in Cebu City and surrounding folks recommend Smart or Sun. PLDT or Skycable have come up as fixed service. My personal experience is that Smart Wifi is not great but globe is worse.

Endgame: Whatever service you pick if wireless should have a testing service for a couple of hundred pesos that can test the signal strength where you want it installed. PLDT and Skycable seem to be the choice in the condo towers here in cebu city.

In NYC I would tell you to talk to your neighbors. Ask whats good. What works well in your building or on your street might suck on the next block over.