Tin Can And String Sometimes Equals Internet

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I had a great experience with Skycable installation last year in Dumaguete. Went out and filled out the necessary paperwork about 9:30am. At about 2pm the same day, a small group of Skycable installers shows up at my door, gets things wired up, I test the internet connection and give thumbs up, they take my money and provide and official receipt, and are gone in under an hour! This was brand new service in an apartment that had never been hooked up before to boot.

I didn't know Skycable was providing internet service now, when I dealt with them it was cable TV only. Maybe it's a new regime.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I had a great experience with Skycable installation last year in Dumaguete. Went out and filled out the necessary paperwork about 9:30am. At about 2pm the same day, a small group of Skycable installers shows up at my door, gets things wired up, I test the internet connection and give thumbs up, they take my money and provide and official receipt, and are gone in under an hour! This was brand new service in an apartment that had never been hooked up before to boot.

I didn't know Skycable was providing internet service now, when I dealt with them it was cable TV only. Maybe it's a new regime.

Depends on your location. Sky Cable does not have broadband service at my new apartment.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Depends on your location. Sky Cable does not have broadband service at my new apartment.

Sky Cable started with their Internet and VOIP services in 2008.  It should be available now anywhere Sky Cable Digital Cable is available but then this is a company owned by ABS-CBN...  They don't always tell you the WHOLE story!

:mocking:

Markham
Posted
Posted

Sky Cable started with their Internet and VOIP services in 2008. It should be available now anywhere Sky Cable Digital Cable is available but then this is a company owned by ABS-CBN... They don't always tell you the WHOLE story!

It is only available in a few select subdivisions and Condominiums in Cebu and even fewer in Davao. The fact that a particular area has Sky TV does not mean that Sky Broadband will also be available.
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't think that Skycable broadband was as prevalent as wikipedia suggests. I know it wasn't available 2 years ago where I lived.

But the purpose of my post was to counterbalance the doom and gloom of the OP's experience with internet in the Philippines. It's not 1st world standard but they've come a long way in the 2+ years I've been living here. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sky Cable started with their Internet and VOIP services in 2008. It should be available now anywhere Sky Cable Digital Cable is available but then this is a company owned by ABS-CBN... They don't always tell you the WHOLE story!

It is only available in a few select subdivisions and Condominiums in Cebu and even fewer in Davao. The fact that a particular area has Sky TV does not mean that Sky Broadband will also be available.

Sorry but I said Digital Cable - not just cable.  Many areas are still running strictly Analog and, until upgraded, Broadband services usually are not available.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Sorry but I said Digital Cable - not just cable.  Many areas are still running strictly Analog and, until upgraded, Broadband services usually are not available.

I thought it was the digital cable box that converts the signal from analog to digital. I didn't know the signal from the pole was "digital". Maybe the Philippines really has joined the 21st Century. Anyway, I had digital (box) Skycable and they did not offer broadband, only cable TV.