Bi Official Shares Pros, Cons Of Marrying Local

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Interesting article in today's paper quoting directly from an Immigration officer. 

This part seems to contradict what some have said about the "permanence" of permanent visas:

"If the marriage is dissolved by a competent court, Madarang said BI will downgrade the permanent resident visa to a temporary visitor’s visa, which allows the ex-spouse to stay in the country for 59 days."

But do they have the resources or mechanisms in place to check dissolutions of marriage?

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2013/05/29/bi-official-shares-pros-cons-marrying-local-284719

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Somehow they do have ways of checking on marriage breakups.  I know three guys personally and a lot more anecdotally who had to downgrade from a spousal visa to a tourist visa when the wife either divorced them in a foreign country (can't do it here but it counts as a marriage breakup for visa purposes) or they went through the Philippine system for a legal separation.

I have no web sites to give 'facts' I only know guys who have been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

And this also goes if the spouse dies ..... I wonder why he didn't mention that ....

Great article Mike thanks ...... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Somehow they do have ways of checking on marriage breakups.  I know three guys personally and a lot more anecdotally who had to downgrade from a spousal visa to a tourist visa when the wife either divorced them in a foreign country (can't do it here but it counts as a marriage breakup for visa purposes) or they went through the Philippine system for a legal separation.

I have no web sites to give 'facts' I only know guys who have been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it.

It wouldn't be that their adoring spouses called the BI and informed them would it ..... I know of one such lady that did it ..... especially if they have an ulterior motive for doing so like wanting to move you out of the way .... and the sad part is they can like you said do it with a legal separation .... doesn't have to be a divorce ..... :th_unfair:

But as the Pres keeps saying .... "the Philippines is for Filipinos" .... or in the immortal words (well almost) of (A Mexican thug gets a badge from Lamarr when he's accepted for the job to raid the town of Rock Ridge from the movie Blazing Saddles)  .........  "Foreigners (badges) we don't need no stinking Foreigners (badges)" ...... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

And this also goes if the spouse dies ..... I wonder why he didn't mention that ....

Great article Mike thanks ...... :thumbsup:

Yes, this is true. It happened to an American that I knew. He then was scammed by the son-in-law (to get his money and pension before he left) and left penniless until the American Embassy assisted him in returning to USA. His Filipino relatives totalling ignored him. His brother in law who was a manager at at Mitsubishi would not even buy him a coffee. You are on your own when the money is gone.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You know this is one of the main reasons most foreigners married and living in the Philippines still keep their money off-shore!

:mocking:

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You know this is one of the main reasons most foreigners married and living in the Philippines still keep their money off-shore!

:mocking:

Could not agree more Bob, we all like to think our partners will stand by us but we also hear of the stories that suggest otherwise.A member of this forum told me that he has been coming here since 1978 and he has seen so many foreigners ignored by their family here when the money runs out. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

there are more reasons than trust to keep your money "offshore" and they tend to do with earning better returns on your investment and security. 

Australia's top 4 banks are amongst the most profitable in the world and are backed by the government should ever (which is unlikely) go bust.  The government would step in and ensure the depositors got their money. 

Is it true the philippines has a similar gaurantee but the deposit amount protected is not as high? 

But in Australia you can earn about 4% on your deposits, not sure what the Philippines deposit rate is!

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

And this also goes if the spouse dies ..... I wonder why he didn't mention that ..

Would anyone know? if the spouse dies but you have children,(still a minor(s)

what is your situation then?

or should I ask pinoylawyer.org myself?  :89:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
in Australia you can earn about 4% on your deposits, not sure what the Philippines deposit rate is

Looking at XE.com/currency charts, it says the Aus dollar fell from 44 pesos to the dollar to about 39 pesos to the dollar in the last 12 months.  So in the last 12 months I have done better keeping my pesos under my pillow than you've done with 4% in an Aussie bank.  All that glitters is not gold.

• Like 4