Question Regarding Car Registration At Lto

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi, I recently purchased a car from a friend who happens to be an expat about to leave the Philippines for good, the car is registered with LTO till October this year, he has given me the LTO registration document, plus a bill of sale that has been Notarized, 

My question is, do i need to change the LTO registration document "now" that my wife and I are the new owners, or can we wait till October when the LTO registration will be due for renewal.

The reason I ask is because i didn't actually plan on buying a vehicle, however this one came along at the right price, at present i cant drive the car, my Philippine license lapsed some four years ago [ that was the last time i had a car here] I know i can drive a car on my foreign license for 90 days, but i have been here longer than that period and am about to leave again in early July.

My wife has a license but is not a confident driver so needs some lessons before she will attempt to drive.

It would suit us both to just put the car up on our drive and leave it there till i return later this year or till October when the registration is due. seems pointless renewing the registration now if I can legally wait till October.

Any information/ experience welcomed

Thanks

John

jon1
Posted
Posted

I recommend going ahead and getting the CR changed to yours or your wife's name now. I believe that there is a time limit on the bill of sale (for some reason 90 days comes to mind) and that if not changed by then, there will be some hassle and extra fees associated with transfer of ownership. You also need a copy of the previous owner's ID (DL, Passport). If you do this before your friend leaves country, it may help you if there is something else required from him that I have forgotten.

On your PI DL, not sure if you can just get a late renewal or apply for a new one altogether. 

Also, you might want to look at putting some fuel stabilizer in the vehicle if you are going to leave it in a storage state. Another thing is to put the vehicle on blocks so the tires won't get out of round (flat spots).  The alternative is to get your wife some driving lessons now and get her to use it while you are gone. If only to go around the block a few times every other day to keep the vehicle in shape.

Make sure that you keep a copy of all documents in the vehicle (OR/CR/Bill of Sale) and your wife keeps a copy of her OR for her driver's license with her. Without her DL OR the Police will think the license is fake..

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Gee John, knowing what car you bought, you could always just store it and then sell it to me once I get there...

:mocking:

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

I recommend going ahead and getting the CR changed to yours or your wife's name now. I believe that there is a time limit on the bill of sale (for some reason 90 days comes to mind) and that if not changed by then, there will be some hassle and extra fees associated with transfer of ownership. You also need a copy of the previous owner's ID (DL, Passport). If you do this before your friend leaves country, it may help you if there is something else required from him that I have forgotten.

On your PI DL, not sure if you can just get a late renewal or apply for a new one altogether. 

Also, you might want to look at putting some fuel stabilizer in the vehicle if you are going to leave it in a storage state. Another thing is to put the vehicle on blocks so the tires won't get out of round (flat spots).  The alternative is to get your wife some driving lessons now and get her to use it while you are gone. If only to go around the block a few times every other day to keep the vehicle in shape.

Make sure that you keep a copy of all documents in the vehicle (OR/CR/Bill of Sale) and your wife keeps a copy of her OR for her driver's license with her. Without her DL OR the Police will think the license is fake..

Thanks John, Yes i also wondered if the notarized bill of sale had an expiry date, the car was registered in my friends wife's name so i guess Its her ID that has to be copied, regarding the car storage yes I'm organized on that one, and have a American neighbor who has volunteered to check on and run the vehicle, my wife realy is not confident yet to try to drive on her own, plus quite frankly I know she doesn't have the skills.

John

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I found this information on the AAPhilippines site.  Hope it helps some!

http://www.aaphilippines.org/products.aspx?pages=lto-registration-assistance

PRIVATE

TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP (TOW)

Requirements:

- Original copy of Registration Certificate (CR)

- Original copy of latest Official Receipt (OR)

- Original copy of Deed of Sale/Transfer

- TMG Clearance

- Special Bank Receipt (SBR) issued by Land Bank

- Macro-Etching Certificate

- Insurance Certificate of Cover / Endorsement of Insurance to the new owner

- Request for Confirmation of OR/CR from the issuing District Office (CIR 123)

- Board Resolution / Secretary’s Certificate if the vendor is corporation

- Actual inspection of Motor Vehicle (MV) and duly accomplished and signed inspection report (MVIR) [stencils of motor and chassis nos. must be done on the space provided for]

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

Gee John, knowing what car you bought, you could always just store it and then sell it to me once I get there...

:mocking:

Lol that could happen Bob, business is business, it does need a new paint job as its been outside most of its life so the paint has faded and cracked in places, but such things don't bother me, mechanically its sound and the mileage is extremely low, If I have time i may build a small car port to store it under whilst I'm away, but i do have a car cover that can also be used.

John

• Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

PRIVATE

Requirements:

- TMG Clearance

- Actual inspection of Motor Vehicle (MV) and duly accomplished and signed inspection report (MVIR) [stencils of motor and chassis nos. must be done on the space provided for]

Thanks Bob,

That's exactly what i wanted to avoid, i leave the country in July could be gone for up to 6 months and the car will just be sitting on the drive, by the time i get back I will have 6 months use before doing it all again lol

John

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

PRIVATE

Requirements:

- TMG Clearance

Thanks Bob,

That's exactly what i wanted to avoid, i leave the country in July could be gone for up to 6 months and the car will just be sitting on the drive, by the time i get back I will have 6 months use before doing it all again lol

John

John,

Once the CR has been transferred into your name, the CR renewal is very easy;

1. Emissions Test

2. Purchase local version of PIP (lots of places usually next to the LTO), and usually maybe 1000-1500p.

3. LTO Stencils your vehicle (VIN & Chassis #)

4. Pay for the registration fee (look at your current OR for an idea on how much it will cost you)

5. Get your new stickers for the license plates.

No need for a fixer on any of this. Try not to go on Monday mornings or you will be there all day.

Jon

Also, the expiration is from the month that your vehicle is registered for;

last digit = month of year for registration , for example 8 = August

2nd to last digit = week of month of expires, for example 1 or 2 = 1st week

Registration is good for one year. If you buy a brand new vehicle from the dealer you will get 3 years registration. After that only 1 year at a time.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There is a fine for late registration but does that apply on purchasing the vehicle?  A quick call to LTO should answer that - i couldn't find any info on-line about this.

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks all for you comments and information so far, however i have another question to throw out to you, it seems that the car was registered "CR" in Lapu Lapu, but the "OR" was subsequently issue from the Talisay LTO extension office. my question to you Philippine Drivers is, can I just change the CR [ change the ownership of the vehicle to my Wife] but leave the LTO OR as is and renew it on its due date in October.?

Sorry if I'm being a little thick over this :bonk:

thanks

John

Edited by johnb