Spear Fishing

ThommoPerth
Posted
Posted

Hi

Are there any good places in RP to do Spear Fishing or charters available for such activity?  Only want to take one or two fish a day to consume on a daily basis.

Thanks

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm .... wish I could help but unfortunately I can't ...... however the last time I went swimming in the ocean someone tried to spear me ... thinking I was a great white whale ......post-11-0-42723900-1370497041_thumb.jpg

But I'm sure someone else can help you ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What location?

SCUBA or snorkel?

Do you have a dive buddy?

Do you know the regulations for the area you plan to take fish?

I've seen a lot of fish it all depends on the structure and depth.

I know of many dive boats that would love to take your money but if there is a local guy with a small boat you can trust that would be a good choice.

If you shore dive that could cause issues if you come ashore with fish it could be those living there would expect a cut or?

You could have some real issues if the local fishermen think you are "poaching" their area.

Its more fun in Philippines but nothing is easy or as it seems.

• Like 1

ThommoPerth
Posted
Posted

What location?  Thats the question isn't it???

SCUBA or snorkel? Scuba

Do you have a dive buddy?  Yes

Do you know the regulations for the area you plan to take fish? Don't know where to take fish from yet so can not answer yet

I've seen a lot of fish it all depends on the structure and depth.

I know of many dive boats that would love to take your money but if there is a local guy with a small boat you can trust that would be a good choice. Don't know any one in RP, that was also part of the original question.

If you shore dive that could cause issues if you come ashore with fish it could be those living there would expect a cut or? Boat diving

You could have some real issues if the local fishermen think you are "poaching" their area. Only want to take one or 2 fish per day.

Its more fun in Philippines but nothing is easy or as it seems.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

I see a lot of local fishermen with  makeshift spearguns (panas)  they just basically snorkel and  skin dive you could make friends with some of the fisherfolk and join them.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It seems to be the question but most people have a base or place they live so are you willing to travel to any part of the Philippines to spear fish or have you some where in mind like Manila etc. 

• Like 1

ThommoPerth
Posted
Posted

It seems to be the question but most people have a base or place they live so are you willing to travel to any part of the Philippines to spear fish or have you some where in mind like Manila etc. 

We are able to trvel any where as we live in Australia.  We are looking at RP as a location we could do Scuba diving and spear fishing but we have no knowledge of any place to do this there.

samatm
Posted
Posted

We are able to trvel any where as we live in Australia.  We are looking at RP as a location we could do Scuba diving and spear fishing but we have no knowledge of any place to do this there.

Scuba operators are in nearly all parts  of  the Philippines.     Fish are in nearly all parts of the Philippines,   spear gun fishermen are in all parts of the Philippines.   You would just have to find someone who would be glad to take you which shouldn't be any problem. 

Scuba spear fishing isn't very sporting , but to each his own...keep your catch down to minimum.    There are operators who outfit their divers with  air tubes, regulator  and  connected to an on board compressor. theses gatherer/  divers stay down for hours at a time harvesting  Sea cumbers, clams and the occasional fish that swim by.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I was reading an article about the yellow sub that hit the coral off Mactan. When the authorities were inspecting the reef for damage they observed a guy spear fishing. He was arrested on the spot so check where/when it's allowed, permits, etc.

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

I was reading an article about the yellow sub that hit the coral off Mactan. When the authorities were inspecting the reef for damage they observed a guy spear fishing. He was arrested on the spot so check where/when it's allowed, permits, etc.

So they don't arrest the owners of the sub that are crashing into the Coral wall, but they arrest a spearfisherman LOL.  

He must have been Scuba Spear fishing..and he should have known better than to do it there.. as there is a regular outpost  of Fisheries and costal guard stationed nearby.     I met them at Kon Tiki once getting in practice dives  which next door to the yellow sub.

• Like 1