Question About Support

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Seems outrageous to me that a husband and wife are legally responsible to support the parents, all brothers and sisters or any other people..... other than the fruit of their own loins.....either born while married or the previous children from either party.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know myself personally I would give my wife a decent amount of money that she could help out her parents if she wanted. If the law tried to suck me dry I would have to leave the Philippines, But I would still give her a decent amount.

Edited by sjp52

dalidali
Posted
Posted

I know myself personally I would give my wife a decent amount of money that she could help out her parents if she wanted. If the law tried to suck me dry I would have to leave the Philippines, But I would still give her a decent amount.

I agree.

However I might draw the line when brother (insert name) wants a new I-phone.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I remember this question from before and I also remember most of the answer to it.  You will be responsible - along with the rest of the family - for her parents welfare once they are not able to look after themselves any more.  As for the lazy brother / sister?  Nope - if they are not in school still and are able to work, they are responsible for looking after themselves.  Now if they were disabled and can't work, then they are a family responsibility like the parents.  And you can be sure that you are responsible for your wife and kids.  And, as for how much you need to supply the parents?  There are written standards that have to be followed though they are pretty basic.  So this really isn't much to worry about.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I remember this question from before and I also remember most of the answer to it.  You will be responsible - along with the rest of the family - for her parents welfare once they are not able to look after themselves any more.

Could you provide a source for that statement?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"ll see if I can pull it up in a bit.  I'm still trying to find things from moving - like the charger to my laptop which is almost out of charge...  hehe!

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think we're confusing 2 separate laws. The Family Code of the Philippines that the OP referred to is an Executive Order issued in 1987 by the current President's mother. I can't find anything that says one spouse is responsible for the other spouse's family, only for their own.

http://www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm

There was a "MAINTENANCE OF PARENTS ACT OF 2010" that provides that the children can be held responsible for support of the parents but it refers to consanguinity or blood relations. I don't know if it was passed into law. I haven't seen anything that makes one spouse legally responsible for supporting the other's family.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I wasn't sure how far community property went... her debts might be my debts... just a thought.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

1. keep your receipts of what support you have given, 

2, help them to help themselves. so they can be sufficient

3.be proactive in their health issues. dont wait til they are sick to offer them help.

excuse if i was off topic yet it is related to "support"

i am more lucky than  most of the forum, as i have little to offer in support,

2, i've set certain "rules"/conditions on when i would give support.

since they dont wish to help themselves.or abide by my "rules"

my "support"over the years have been very limited( mostly under $150 a yr=6k pesos or less)

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't give support.  And i don't plan on it ha ha

• Like 3