Are Pinoys Ready For A Divorce Law?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

During my daily reading of panay news online,  a good Iloilo area newspaper, I found this of interest:

http://www.panaynewsphilippines.com/nation/5479-are-pinoys-ready-for-a-divorce-law.html

Nothing real new about them trying to get/not get a divorce law.  The fact that she is re-filing the bill makes it sound like it is already going  to be a tough fight.  :tiphat:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I do not see this happening because of people like this senator. who says........  

Santiago said she sees nothing wrong with passing the law for as long as it has “strict” grounds.

OK, well if she is allowed to have her say, then all other (100??) senators will have their say and nothing gets done. SOme less rigid, some more rigid...all want their names in the paper.

Divorce MUST be a civil law and there must be no provisions for any religion or religious restrictions. Divorce MUST be written as a 'SHALL GRANT' law and not a 'May Grant" and there needs to a provision to complain about and a penalty to be set forth for any judge who refuses to grant a divorce or follow the law.  

Remember there is a lot of money being made here and the catholic church is in the middle collecting theirs..... 400+ years ago, the priests made a lot of money selling souls a way out of purgatory! They had ZERO costs as there were no actual physical souls to maintain, and no purgatory up keep costs. SO ZERO money out in their 'product'. Just put on a small traveling circus side show about the pain and suffering YOUR loved one was under due to past sins and that YOU needed to pay the priest for the correct prayers to get your loved one's soul released to go to heaven (another ZERO cost to maintain facility)

After the public became better educated, the selling of souls ground to a halt. In its place today, in Phils, you need to pay big money to get that annulment from the church... 

If you ask me.... I would love to see the Presbyterian's set up across the street and offer an annulment for 200p! :hystery:

All kidding aside, the actions and opinions of  the senator are doing more harm than good. Really... who the hell is she to decide there should be 2 and only 2 causes actions for divorce?

If the church refuses to grant an annulment, so what. the civil divorce trumps the church and then you get married in the future at city hall....

Just look at the math........ (MONEY) How many expats are in a relationship with a woman who is separated? Never able to get a divorce? Well, if she got that divorce, she could then marry Mr. Expat and travel to his country and then.... start sending money home! By allowing her to travel to his home country, means he is more likely to be happy to stay in his home country and work longer and make more money and send more money to Phils.....

Everyone is happy but the catholic church who is (REALLY) only looking at the situation as lost income.... :th_unfair:

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't really see the catholic government ever letting this happen.   :tiphat:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree 100% with what you say Jon1.

IMO you worded your opinion well by not attacking the Catholic Church but pointing out the consequences of some of their policy's and the fact the Church still has a huge affect on Philippines government.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Until the church is cut out of this it will never come about. That is the problem, the church has a stranglehold.  There is no separation of church and state in this country. Otherwise it would be a done deal. 
Well. The catholic church is very powerful in RP

BUT (asuming Internet told corect) recently a law was PASSED about birth control MORE than the catholic church agree to.

(The church has went to court to TRY to stop it.)

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Until the church is cut out of this it will never come about. That is the problem, the church has a stranglehold.  There is no separation of church and state in this country. Otherwise it would be a done deal. 
Well. The catholic church is very powerful in RP

BUT (asuming Internet told corect) recently a law was PASSED about birth control MORE than the catholic church agree to.

(The church has went to court to TRY to stop it.)

It is like gun control in the US.... incremental loss of ownership rights, over decades leaves us where we are today. Using this same logic, little by little, over decades, the catholic church will loose influence in Phils. While this is not helping people today, the future may be a bit less restrictive*

*Assuming that The Religion Of Peace is held in check! :hystery: If they get a strong hold on the government... we all will want the catholics to come back and real soon!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I agree 100% with what you say Jon1.

IMO you worded your opinion well by not attacking the Catholic Church but pointing out the consequences of some of their policy's and the fact the Church still has a huge affect on Philippines government.

Hey guys,

I really appreciate your carefully worded comments about the religious establishment in the Philippines.

For that matter, any religious beliefs and practices on how we should wipe our ass should be burned

to the stakes.

Unfortunately, this proposal will never pass.  Can you imagine how many politicians and lawyers have

extramarital affairs?  And let's talk about celibacy among the priesthood.  Oh never mind......I would

rather take my afternoon dump instead.

Relieve thyself -- Jake 

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The catholic church is very powerful in RP BUT (asuming Internet told corect) recently a law was PASSED about birth control MORE than the catholic church agree to. (The church has went to court to TRY to stop it.)

They succeeded in stopping it temporarily. The Supreme Court issued a 120 day temporary restraining order in March until it can be decided if it violates the constitution. Arguments start next week. Here's an article from the Washington Post:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-06-17/world/40014531_1_catholic-bishops-catholic-church-roman-catholic

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Although 80 percent of the population here identifies itself as Catholic, polls have consistently indicated that slightly more than 70 percent support the reproductive-health law.

Too bad 11 of the 15 justices were appointed by Arroyo...

I just had my sister send me a BB box full of condoms so I am ok!  (and Aqua Velva aftershave)

• Like 2