Kuan?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

How often does your wife or significant other use the word Kuan?

I'm curious..... what is your definition? :89:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEy615Jzg4

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

All the time.  But the people I know pronounce it like a very soft 'who' followed by wan.  Like who-wan and it comes across like 'one' and the definition is close enough that we often use the word one interchangeably with kuan.  Like:  Where is the one (kuan) that we use to cut the grass.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

just trying to figure out what the video has to do with the question?  :)

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife uses Kuan all the time as in "Gimme dat ting" :dance:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In Hawaii there is something similar as in, "dah kine." I keep hearing "sumida" in Korean conversations so it must be their equivalent to "kuan."

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

The nearest I can work out is if they don't know the name of what they are looking for they just say Kuan  which leaves me no option but to give her a bunch of stuff and hope for the best. :bash:

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
My wife uses Kuan all the time as in "Gimme dat ting"

You've got it!  My wife has never used "kuan" (some even use "ano", which means what), but she goes around looking for "things".  As in..."where did I put that thing".

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The nearest I can work out is if they don't know the name of what they are looking for they just say Kuan  which leaves me no option but to give her a bunch of stuff and hope for the best. :bash:

My wife uses Kuan all the time as in "Gimme dat ting"

You've got it!  My wife has never used "kuan" (some even use "ano", which means what), but she goes around looking for "things".  As in..."where did I put that thing".

Yup my take on the word also .... kuan (Tagalog) ano (Visayan) ..... I hear ano all the time .... kinda like when we say "you know" meaning they can't quite think of the word to use or what you want to say .... JMHO .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hear it quite a bit, but it is more used as, "ummmm" or "well" when someone is thinking of the next thing they are going to say.  BTW, they are using kuan as a Visaya word where I am in Cebu City. :tiphat:  I think they have a tendency to mix 3 languages together for the full effect of confusion. :bash:  Wish I understood at least 2 of them. :hystery:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Julia
Posted
Posted

just trying to figure out what the video has to do with the question?  :)

:mocking:

I hear it quite a bit, but it is more used as, "ummmm" or "well" when someone is thinking of the next thing they are going to say.  BTW, they are using kuan as a Visaya word where I am in Cebu City. :tiphat:  I think they have a tendency to mix 3 languages together for the full effect of confusion. :bash:  Wish I understood at least 2 of them. :hystery:

:hystery:

• Like 1