Family With Very Complex Needs Seeks Home In Philippines

mamadavid
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone, 

Have just joined this community because my family is considering relocating to the Philippines in the near future.

Our situation: We have a 22 year old son who suffered a spinal cord injury four years ago.  He has had continuous treatment and rehab and has made a lot of progress -- but still a long way to go.  He is still wheelchair dependent and needs assistance for pretty much everything.  He spends his days doing his various exercises -- a lot of supported walking using a special wheeled walker + human assistance, as well as strength and flexibility training and core stability exercises.  When we had access to a pool he did a lot of hydrotherapy including walking in the pool.  He has a Filipina private nurse (hired in Hong Kong more than two years ago) who looks after him generally and would come with us.

We also have a 17 year old daughter who is doing A levels through independent study and private tutoring.   

My husband and I both work from home with clients in Asia and Europe (need reliable internet connection).

We would need to live in a place where we could recruit at least two physiotherapists to work with our son full time.  We would also want  a pool / beach pretty much on our doorstep because transportation is an issue.   I don't think there are a lot of wheelchair-accessible buses in the Philippines.  A car and driver would of course be an alternative if we couldn't find a place to live with easy wheelchair access to everything we need.  We would need a large enough place to house us and our whole entourage (nurses, physiotherapists)  + our son's equipment.  We probably wouldn't be looking for a luxury condo as something big enough for our needs would be too expensive.  Nor would we be able to live in the "bundoks" because of our son's condition.  We would need to be fairly close to an international airport as my husband travels for his work.  Cebu seems quite attractive for this reason, and also because there are a lot of schools and colleges there and our son would like to get back into education (he was injured a week before he was about to go off to university).  We also need to be within striking distance of a good medical facility in case of emergency.  We would prefer somewhere quiet and pleasant -- so we wouldn't have to travel to be somewhere nice, and also because our son can do a lot of exercise in the water (sea and pool) and on the sand / grass. 

My husband and I plan to visit the Philippines in a couple of months to explore the possibilities and would very much appreciate your suggestions.  

Thanks in advance. 

mamadavid
Posted
Posted

Sorry, forgot to specify that we are looking to rent, not buy. 

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Miss MamaDavid,

I must commend you and your husband of maintaining a strong family bond, in spite of some difficulties

beyond your control.  We wish your son a very quick recovery and also wish that you may find some

peace and comfort for being loving parents.

May I suggest that you contact these two outstanding members of this forum: Ancienrocka (Paul) and

Geoff Thomas.  Their advertising banners have been authorized by the forum owner (Boss, Tom, JGF):

Not at this address /

http://cebucityproperty.com/

We wish you the very best, respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

mamadavid
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jake.  Have been looking at ads on Geoff Thomas' property agency site and will get in touch with him directly, as well as with the Denial of service site.  

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hello and welcome,

For sure we can help you find a suitable residence. When you come over to scout around Cebu City we can be of assistance in showing you around the various area's that we deal in, also show you around the various malls, restaurants and places of interest. 
I actually have a lower back problem and have recently starting usiing an excellent physiotherapist he is chinese/fiipino who trained in the US and has a very well equipped centre, not sure if they do home visits but sure he may be able to point you in the right direction to find people.

I will try and dig out his details and forward them to you. 

• Like 3

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Based on your requirements I would also suggest Subic or Clark, due primarily to the airports, medical, education and ready availability of Physiotherapists. However due to the fact that you want to be close to the beach, that would rule out Clark, so my suggestion is that you have a look at Subic while you are here.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

mamadavid
Posted
Posted

Thanks Papa Carl, 

What is Subic like as a place to live?  (safety, pollution levels, traffic, cost of housing, etc.)

mamadavid
Posted
Posted

Thank you Geoff.  We will definitely get in touch before we come.  Some of the properties on your site look really nice.  When you're living in a sub-division or condo, how much are the management fees (as a percentage of rent or per square meter for example)? 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thanks Papa Carl, 

What is Subic like as a place to live?  (safety, pollution levels, traffic, cost of housing, etc.)

I haven't been there - because I don't like tourist places, I want to have such nature for myself  :)  - but it's much a popular tourist/filipino vacation place, so I suppouse it's nice there  :)  but with costs as such places have. 

(A friend of mine, who go to both such and my type of places, said some things cost no difference but some things cost as much as 5 times more there than in a common province small "city".)

(Concerning beach: I don't know if your son can get good medical care close enough there, but at the middle of the south coast of Bohol island they sell/sold a closed medical center belonging to a Mine company just beside the beach. The house is in a suiting size to change to a living house. I believe they asked 2.5 mill or so pesos for whole.)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Papa Carl, 

I moved to Subic Freeport Zone in April because of 1, 2 and 3.  You really need to visit to appreciate those items and possibly visit Subic last, so you can compare it to what you have see elsewhere.

The cost of housing is higher than provinces but you get what you pay for if you live in the Freeport Zone.  The housing is former US military housing built to American standards, with large rooms.

You can't really live on the beach in the Freeport.  The housing is up in the hills surrounding the city.  There is a nice big pool in the Kalayaan neighborhood where I live.  I think it might be wheelchair friendly too but I will double check.  There is a fee for the pool, p150 per day or about half that on a monthly plan.

• Like 2