How New Uk Spouse Visa Rules Turned Me Into An Englishman In Exile

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I saw this article and found it disturbing, even though I have no intention of returning to the UK, with our without my wife and daughter, I had known already that it was not as simple as getting on a plane and showing up at immigration with my passport.

But this is getting crazy, and certainly applies to me, as I would not qualify to return to the UK under these new rules.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/09/uk-australia-spouse-visa?goback=%2Egde_1483687_member_256484161

Obviously the slogan ..... It is better in the UK, does not apply!

Papa Carl

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What is the reasoning behind the changes? Is there an exemption for muslims? Or a hidden escape door from the new regulations by claiming vague persecution?

While I agree you are trapped by regulations, is there any data on the numbers of ah, er, well....... lets say British citizens who are not 'life long British citizens' who may have come from the violent north east country that is next to India? Or other violent countries where a man comes, gets citizenship, then returns to the country of violence and then moves his wife and 8 children to the UK? All to live in 'council houses' ? Keeping them out... could that be the original intent of the law?

Speaking of local anti common sense / anti British councils AND your NHS issues, you may be better off Down Under!

• Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bruce, I will take this into serious consideration!!!! Although I am not sure that the Aussies will let me in either!!! even though my son from my previous marriage was born in Australia.

Thinking about it though I guess I would have questions of myself if I were an immigration officer welcoming in visitors to the Land Down Under.

I am currently teaching at a local College here in Angeles and many of my students are Korean, and a good number of those are here to learn English, before travelling through Australia on "Working Student Visas" which allows them to do so for a 12 month period, so long as they do not work at one place for more than 6 months. 

One of my students, "Will" and his brother is truly looking forward to this experience and I will admit he is a very nice person and a very good student and I do hope he has a great time while travelling. However his preparation for this "life adventure" has not necessarily been very well planned out. He spends 1 month at a college in Sydney and then they want to just travel to as many places as they can in the 11 remaining months. He has however not planned out his travel and its costs, nor does he have any contacts of where to stay, or for that matter where he is going to get "temporary" employment to pay for this adventure.

Having said all that I do wish him well and hope that he is successful, as ..... he has been a great student, honest, hard working and generally a "nice young chap".

Papa Carl

• Like 3

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Papa Carl many come to o/z on a student visa from all over the world.They may be able to  get  odd jobs picking fruit etc.If you can get in touch with them tell them to get a tax file no  otherwise they will be taxed at a higher rate.Also tell them to plan there trip carefully,as many arrive here and have no idea how big the country is.cheers.

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Just sums up The nation when us Brits have to suffer & foreigners can still walk in care free and get work instantly.

I actually know a French guy who had a pinay girlfriend & came and married her in January. 2 months later she flew to England and the both of them work & live happily ever after....... You think it'd be that easy for a English man married to a Pinay for 5 years and together for 10....... Yeah me either & that's why I'm sticking round here with no intentions on going through all that crap! Just makes me angry!

• Like 4

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Papa Carl many come to o/z on a student visa from all over the world.They may be able to  get  odd jobs picking fruit etc.If you can get in touch with them tell them to get a tax file no  otherwise they will be taxed at a higher rate.Also tell them to plan there trip carefully,as many arrive here and have no idea how big the country is.cheers.

Many thanks lyno47, I have tried over the past few days to sit with them and have made several suggestions, such as look at budget prices for travel between cities, look for festivals, sporting events etc. held in each city and plan your trip using them as potential to find work as a waiter, or bar tender during these events etc etc. This is a nice guy and I would like him to enjoy his adventure and see and meet the better side of Australia. 

I will let him know about the tax file etc. thanks for the suggestion.

He did come to class today and showed me the material he found about distances between cities, cost of getting there from buses, trains, flights etc..... He was a little shell shocked I think, but glad that he is now being more realistic about what he is trying to do.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

johnb
Posted
Posted

I'm also in this trap, this coming January I'll be 11 years married, and still cant get my wife a UK visa,,  for the first 8 years I didnt leave the Philippines, now I go back from time to time to try and find work, its hard to find work here so many other europeans seem to taking the employment slots, I do have a house in the Uk, but I rent it out so wont disturb my tennants just cos i have know where to stay or work. at present i live in a tent on a camp site, not the ideal but it suits my pocket, will hang around the UK for another month or two if noting turns up return to the Philippines late september. on this campsite there is a mix and match of workmen staying in tents and caravans and holiday makers, theres even six guys from Luzon working here as linesman but living in what would best be called a bunk house, they get a good salary, the accomadation is paid for and they get a free flight home each year, the head guy tells me he plans to retire when he's 35,

• Like 4

brock
Posted
Posted

Hi John, You ever think about going to Europe for 3 months then getting your wife over to the UK with a family permit.

• Like 2

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi Brock, we need to finish up some projects in Cebu first, then sell the buisness , then i need to find a solid job then we could consider applying, we have a tennant staying in one of our places in Cebu, he has sold everything up and is moving with his pinoy wife to Spain, he's from the UK, its been one disaster after another regading visa's and proof of marrige etc seems like a whole bunch of hoops to jump through, cant see why in my case its for f@*&^%*(g tricky, were married for years we dont have any kids, I have a good clean respectable record etc................

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

This new rule the English government has about having an income of £18,600 a year before you can bring your filipina wife into the country is causing a lot of problems for people.

That is why I am looking at taking Nesa to live in Spain for 3 or 4 months, Then the Government cannot refuse entry.

• Like 3