If Your Name Is Singh, Get Out Of Town

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
There has been a spate of murders of men from this district, mostly financiers, in the Philippines in the past year. The victims include Harveer Singh (29) of Raunta village, Baljeet Singh (32) of Kokri Kalan village, Gurdial Singh (46) of Dosanjh village, brothers Gurmeet Singh (28) and Veer Singh (24) of Bhinder Kalan village and Balwinder Singh (23) of Manuke Gill village.

Surely these Indians aren't related? Do any Indians have a different last name?  :89:

Another Indian businessman murdered in Philippines

In another heartbreak incident, a 22-year-old youth businessman from Moga district was shot dead in the Philippines.Gurprem Singh of Smalsar village under Baghapurana sub-division, 36 km from here, had been running a finance company in Manila city for the past three years.

Five days ago, financer Gurjant Singh of Kokri Butran village of the same district was shot dead at Philippines by some unidentified miscreants.

Gurprem's friends Sukhchain Singh and Dalvir Singh, who have been staying in the Philippines for the past nine years, informed the family members about the incident on Friday late evening.

A pal of gloom descended on the village on Saturday as Gurprem's body reached his native village.
Deceased's younger Uncle Randhir Singh told that Gurprem Singh's body was brought from Manila to Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), New Delhi, through a special airplane by some social workers who belong to India. Gurprem's body was cremated at his natïve village on Saturday late evening.

Several politicians, social workers and religious heads were present on this occasion.

According to the family, Gurprem was gunned down outside Manila city by unidentified assailants, who had their faces covered, while he was travelling on a highway on a motorcycle.

"Gurprem Singh had gone to the Philippines four years ago for making his carrier in finance sector," said Randhir Singh.

"When my hard-working younger son went to Manila on a work permit visa, my family members thought that all our problems would end. But fate had something else in store for us," said deceased's father Jagdish Singh.

Jaswinder Kaur mother of Gurprem Singh said, "I have lost my son and he has been cremated in Smalsar where he studied and played. I never considered that my son's dead body would come at Smalsar. We were planning to get him married but destiny did not give us this chance."

There has been a spate of murders of men from this district, mostly financiers, in the Philippines in the past year. The victims include Harveer Singh (29) of Raunta village, Baljeet Singh (32) of Kokri Kalan village, Gurdial Singh (46) of Dosanjh village, brothers Gurmeet Singh (28) and Veer Singh (24) of Bhinder Kalan village and Balwinder Singh (23) of Manuke Gill village.

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting. Is it a robbery issue? Extortion issue? Retaliation for heavy handed collection efforts? I assume that by 'financer' he is really a small time loan shark. Or the front man for the 'real money'.  

One my never know with out following the trail of the money... or in this case... following the scent of curry. (sorry, the devil made me do it). :hystery:

As for Singh, there are millions upon millions of them. Similar to the use of Mohammed / Mohammad for the middle east. Just a last name and not the first name in this case.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
"When my hard-working younger son went to Manila on a work permit visa, my family members thought that all our problems would end
Loan business isn't allowed for foreigners, so it's odd IF he had work permit for such.
I assume that by 'financer' he is really a small time loan shark.
I guess the same. It's many Indians in the loan shark business in RP.

A Swedish loan shark was shot dead too in RP around a year ago.

So it's sure a dangerous business.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Loan sharking is a nasty and dangerous business. The Indians in the Philippines are known to be involved in the trade. This could be turf rivalry. possibly by another group from India. The muscle is all local hires. The loan sharks are protect by politicians, who take a percentage.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Loan business isn't allowed for foreigners, so it's odd IF he had work permit for such.

Neither is owning property.  They get around both laws the same way.

Edit for clarity:  I mean they put the property and business in the wife's name.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Neither is owning property.  They get around both laws the same way.

Do you mean by bribing?

But concerrning work permit it's obvious it's monkey business for everyone who know the law  :)

(Actualy it's allowed to own property for foreigners too. Max 40 % through company if land is involved and if the BUSINESS need land. Whole house can belong to foreigner without company solution, if it's on leased land.)

Concerning business types not allowed to be owned by foreigners at all/that big part, I know it's common to "solve" it through dummy solutions, but I don't recomend it - if not else - because hard to make it not fail if it become a court case  :mocking:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Loan shark most likely.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
(Actualy it's allowed to own property for foreigners too. Max 40 % through company if land is involved and if the BUSINESS need land. Whole house can belong to foreigner without company solution, if it's on leased land.)

While the meaning of your statement is true, the practical application is often much harder. Some condos and townhouses have already prepared documents and registered with the government to be a allowed to sell to a foreigner, but not all condos or townhouse projects. As for the corporation owning and you owning the corporation, while possible, it is not simple and requires lawyers and several Philippine Citizens cooperation as well stock purchase agreements already executed to protect your interests from a hostile takeover.

Much easier to marry a woman who is willing to remain ignorant of the business situation and just signs where she is told to. You also get a 50 yr lease written in both English and Tag and she has an attorney representing her so at some later date she can't easily claim that she was unaware of what she was doing.

The big boys from Korea and Japan who do a lot of investing are the ones who use corporations.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
The big boys from Korea and Japan who do a lot of investing are the ones who use corporations.

The first thing foreign corporations do is hire a law firm to explain how the legal system actually works. The lawyers will take care of everything. This includes adding the names of the partners, in exchange for large annual fees, as the 60% Filipino ownership. The system is for the foreign corporation or their banker to "loan" money to the law partners to pay for the 60% local ownership component. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

While the meaning of your statement is true, the practical application is often much harder. Some condos and townhouses have already prepared documents and registered with the government to be a allowed to sell to a foreigner, but not all condos or townhouse projects. As for the corporation owning and you owning the corporation, while possible, it is not simple and requires lawyers and several Philippine Citizens cooperation as well stock purchase agreements already executed to protect your interests from a hostile takeover.

Much easier to marry a woman who is willing to remain ignorant of the business situation and just signs where she is told to. You also get a 50 yr lease written in both English and Tag and she has an attorney representing her so at some later date she can't easily claim that she was unaware of what she was doing.

Yes. I will probably chose the lease land and own 100% of the house solution myself,

except perhaps if I start a business idea, where it will be MANY Pinoys owning a SMALL part each and most of them don't know each other, so they will get hard to get majority over my 40%  :)

Or do as my Swedish friend  =wait until geting a child and put the land in her name. (I would add a long time lease in such case too to cover if some devious person would try to move me by influence my child  :) 

The lawyers will take care of everything. This includes adding the names of the partners, in exchange for large annual fees, as the 60% Filipino ownership. 
Yes, but that's the common solution, which I DON'T recomend, because it's against the MEANING of the anti-dummy-law, so not sure if such would manage a check in court, And Pinoys involved in such solutions are some shady, so it isn't sure they will switch later to a solution, which includes fooling the foreigner LEGALY  :mocking:
The system is for the foreign corporation or their banker to "loan" money to the law partners to pay for the 60% local ownership component.
Yes, THIS part of what you wrote, it's possible I will have to use, if the owner want to sell, but be convinced to lease instead, geting pay direct anyway by a loan solution with the land as security.