Air Force, Navy Camps Move To Subic Bay

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I wouldn't start counting your money or celebrate just yet. The dispute over the Spratleys could well escalate and that would of course make Olongapo and particularly Subic Bay a prime and legitimate military target. Generally speaking, civilians don't like to live where they're likely to be bombed or caught in the cross-fire, so all the housing in Kalayaan, Binictican and Forest Hills currently occupied by renters might suddenly become vacant as people flee the area. In that scenario any gains you make will be very short-lived and you might even be left with negative equity

The good thing is that we are dealing with the Chinese and not the North Korean retard. (My apologies to the retarded for any perceived slander to your condition :541: )

A war over a few hundred square miles of fishing grounds and the (hidden) oil that is the real reason the Chinese are sniffing around may bot be a good thing in the long run for the Chinese. Better to lease the oil rights to the Chinese with the Philippines having the fishing rights and collecting money from the Chinese. Those other countries are just looking for a hand out.

Markham
Posted
Posted

Rent prices have already started to climb. In my neighborhood they previously were 25-40,000p/mo for private rentals. For the corporations renting for housing their employees, the same units are going for 50,000p/mo. I am sure that the prices in Cubi will go even higher as it is closest to the Airport.

In about 3 to 5 months, when things start to get busy on post, and rentals get ridiculose high in subic, then i will raise  the rent on my off post housing. Everyone is happy.....especially me    :cheersty: all the way to the bank... :thumbsup:   tanks  ej.

I wouldn't start counting your money or celebrate just yet. The dispute over the Spratleys could well escalate and that would of course make Olongapo and particularly Subic Bay a prime and legitimate military target. Generally speaking, civilians don't like to live where they're likely to be bombed or caught in the cross-fire, so all the housing in Kalayaan, Binictican and Forest Hills currently occupied by renters might suddenly become vacant as people flee the area. In that scenario any gains you make will be very short-lived and you might even be left with negative equity.

You forgot Cubi Point... They would be the ones who would feel it the most as they are right on top of the airfield..

You do have a good point on the worst case scenario. But then again, if it came to something like that, there would be a whole lot of crap going down in a lot more places than just Subic.

I hadn't forgotten Cubi Point which it seems the PAF are to take over. I believe it is unlikely that the PAF will actually move there when they already have an excellent facility at Clark just a few kilometres away. I think its more likely that the Philippine military will use Cubi Point - and possibly also the former Navy Magazine wharf at Nabusan - to host visiting US forces.

The Chinese won't wish to risk an all-out war, certainly not initially. But they will want to neutralise the Philippine military as well as any forces that come to lend a hand. Hence the naval and air facilities at Subic will be legitimate targets as will Clark and Cavite.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
The Chinese won't wish to risk an all-out war, certainly not initially. But they will want to neutralise the Philippine military as well as any forces that come to lend a hand. Hence the naval and air facilities at Subic will be legitimate targets as will Clark and Cavite.

AH HA! I see the wisdom in your post now... you clever dog you. :thumbsup:  Why the smart investor will wait until the Chinese level Clark / Subic and the surrounding area and then the land priced drop and you will swoop in and make a killing on some cheap land purchases.... :dance:

Just sitting there quietly, unnoticed... waiting and waiting for the right time to invest as you watch CNN for clues. :tiphat: Veddy smart these Brits... Veddy smart indeed..... :cheers:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
I believe it is unlikely that the PAF will actually move there when they already have an excellent facility at Clark just a few kilometres away.

They have stated that one of the reasons for the move is to free up the space at Clark for commercial development.  It is not all about reducing response time by 3 minutes.

Rent prices have already started to climb. In my neighborhood

I don't believe this to be true in Kalayaan.  The rental market is soft and it takes a long time to get a place rented.  A lot of places I looked at the first week of April are still available, 4 months later.  A lot of places are offered as vacation rentals and I think that is because the owners are trying to get any kind of revenue from the place when it is not rented full time.  The house next to us is supposed to be a vacation rental and as far as I know it only had a renter one weekend in the last 4 months.  I was under pressure to find a place and paid a bit too much.  I already know of nice examples I can rent for less when my lease is up.

You do have a good point on the worst case scenario. But then again, if it came to something like that, there would be a whole lot of crap going down in a lot more places than just Subic.

I can't imagine a limited war that involved attacking Subic, Clark or Cavite.  As Jon said and IMHO you will have a lot more to worry about than Subic if it ever gets to that point.

Edited by OnMyWay

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Rent prices have already started to climb. In my neighborhood they previously were 25-40,000p/mo for private rentals. For the corporations renting for housing their employees, the same units are going for 50,000p/mo. I am sure that the prices in Cubi will go even higher as it is closest to the Airport.

In about 3 to 5 months, when things start to get busy on post, and rentals get ridiculose high in subic, then i will raise  the rent on my off post housing. Everyone is happy.....especially me    :cheersty: all the way to the bank... :thumbsup:   tanks  ej.

I wouldn't start counting your money or celebrate just yet. The dispute over the Spratleys could well escalate and that would of course make Olongapo and particularly Subic Bay a prime and legitimate military target. Generally speaking, civilians don't like to live where they're likely to be bombed or caught in the cross-fire, so all the housing in Kalayaan, Binictican and Forest Hills currently occupied by renters might suddenly become vacant as people flee the area. In that scenario any gains you make will be very short-lived and you might even be left with negative equity.

In the rental buiseness  here in olongapo we always have a back up market, my family has been doing this since 1958 here in olongapo, im not talking 2 houses. im talkin 3 city blocks worth of us naval housing authority approved  rentals. so when the yanks left, we switched to local market. if the yanks dont come back.......im still happy all the way to the bank. :cheersty:   tanks again..... ej.

• Like 3

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

You forgot Cubi Point... They would be the ones who would feel it the most as they are right on top of the airfield..

I hadn't forgotten Cubi Point which it seems the PAF are to take over. I believe it is unlikely that the PAF will actually move there when they already have an excellent facility at Clark just a few kilometres away. I think its more likely that the Philippine military will use Cubi Point - and possibly also the former Navy Magazine wharf at Nabusan - to host visiting US forces.

We have survived wars, occupation, and liberation.  whats another invasion, we pinoys will survive. maybe minus a few thousand. welcome to the wild wild east....... :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

It's a game of chess highlighted with a game of chicken.  The Chinese military are really good at the art

of deception and will not back down because of saving face.  Same way with the Philippine govt of not

losing face but will be unable to defend its territorial waters without the help of Uncle Sam.

Subic Bay and further south, General Santos City (another deep harbor) may soon be filled with all kinds

of naval warships from US, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and others.  In my opinion, they're in port to

repair major battle damage inflicted by the PLAN (China People's Liberation Army Navy).  I have studied

their modern fleet and they pose a serious threat to the whole South China Sea region.  

It only takes just one stupid misunderstanding -- a simple flare from a small fishing vessel and someone

will think it's a missile launch.  And the whole region goes up in smoke.  All the shipping and air routes

will cease and we will have a global economic meltdown.  I can see WalFart collapsing now......

And for what, may I ask......fish and potential oil reserves?  Give me a puckin' break.  During a simulated

at sea war game, I was asked by the captain what would be my reaction (as a conning officer) if a nuke

surface burst just detonated off the port bow.....my answer was I hope I have enough time to bend over

and kiss my ass good bye.  

Man is so stupid -- Jake

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

It's a game of chess highlighted with a game of chicken.  The Chinese military are really good at the art

of deception and will not back down because of saving face.  Same way with the Philippine govt of not

losing face but will be unable to defend its territorial waters without the help of Uncle Sam.

Subic Bay and further south, General Santos City (another deep harbor) may soon be filled with all kinds

of naval warships from US, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and others.  In my opinion, they're in port to

repair major battle damage inflicted by the PLAN (China People's Liberation Army Navy).  I have studied

their modern fleet and they pose a serious threat to the whole South China Sea region.  

It only takes just one stupid misunderstanding -- a simple flare from a small fishing vessel and someone

will think it's a missile launch.  And the whole region goes up in smoke.  All the shipping and air routes

will cease and we will have a global economic meltdown.  I can see WalFart collapsing now......

And for what, may I ask......fish and potential oil reserves?  Give me a puckin' break.  During a simulated

at sea war game, I was asked by the captain what would be my reaction (as a conning officer) if a nuke

surface burst just detonated off the port bow.....my answer was I hope I have enough time to bend over

and kiss my ass good bye.  

Man is so stupid -- Jake

Eat them BALUTS now Jake, there wont be enough time later, as for me , Im going out with a big BOOM.   :thumbsup:   BOOM BOOM that is. :hystery:  :)   always tanks     ej.  

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
General Santos City (another deep harbor)

You raise a good point that I did not think of. What is the relationship or opinion of the Chinese as held by the muslims on Mindanao?

It appears to me that there are 2 governing forces on Mindanao. The real government and then the muslims who want to take over. If the Chinese do cause issues, this may force a deepening dependency on the government to rely on the muslims (remember that the government just sold out the people of Mindanao in an agreement to steal the natural resources and give them to the muslims)  

If a Chinese warship comes into port to try to take over the city, just how with the muslims react?

Jake
Posted
Posted

General Santos City (another deep harbor)

You raise a good point that I did not think of. What is the relationship or opinion of the Chinese as held by the muslims on Mindanao?

It appears to me that there are 2 governing forces on Mindanao. The real government and then the muslims who want to take over. If the Chinese do cause issues, this may force a deepening dependency on the government to rely on the muslims (remember that the government just sold out the people of Mindanao in an agreement to steal the natural resources and give them to the muslims)  

If a Chinese warship comes into port to try to take over the city, just how with the muslims react?

If the Chinese fleet comes into any port in the Philippines, I would imagine the chit already hit the fan

and they're coming in without much resistance from anybody, including the US 7th fleet with their tails

between their legs.  

The local population will capitulate or else suffer more carpet bombing.  The Chinese military will not

be concerned about innocent collateral damage.  Pretty soon, the Aussie will be speaking Chinese

with an Australian accent.  

There goes the neighborhood -- Jake