About The 220 Volts...

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I am taller than everyone in my extended family. Before tearing down the old house they used to have two bare copper wires strung from the main house. The wires were right at the top of my head!

Over the past few years I have been sending rolls of 3 wire. The stuff is expensive there. We now have separate 220v circuits feeding into a few transformers that step it down to 110v. I was really getting irritated getting shocked plugging things in all the time!

I also keep one of these handy.

post-635-0-21338200-1376251477_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
It really just looks like a bunch of extension cords to me - and they have never heard of wire nuts, it is all twisted and taped.
Yes, such wireing is common in RP.
I would suggest getting yourself a nice long metal rod... One that is very conductive and drive that into the ground at least 4 feet and preferably 8 ft. Them run a wire from all the switches and outlets (neutral terminal only) and connect this securely to the pipe.
Yes. I haven't seen when anyone is doing it, but the few I have heared bothering about geting their electric grounded, they did something as you wrote, puting the iron rod close to some tank or something in the soil where it's more moist.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We used long copper rods in the US for grounding.  I have not seen anything like it here.  I have yet to see a grounded system over here.

Jake
Posted
Posted

We used long copper rods in the US for grounding.  I have not seen anything like it here.  I have yet to see a grounded system over here.

You have probably seen it several times a day.  Look at yourself in the mirror -- you're the ground....he, he.

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

An unfortunate combination of Euoprean electrical system, added to by the Americans, who disposed of the European and BS 1363 plugs sometimes used here in the Philippines, to be the same as the American two pin flat plugs.

Consequently, European electrical current system, 220 ( and yes fluctuates between 175 and 250 depending on where you are), and American plugs, (in fact most are Japanese style sockets, was both flat pins are the same size, where as the American, (and Canadian) has one pin slightly larger than the other, so that you insert the plug correctly, however that is not required here.

Not to mention that no real system of Electrical Regulations are either stipulated or enforced.

Many houses of the same American style plugs in the wall, however some are 220 and others are 100, (not 110). Also confusing is that they are very rarely marked, so it is trial and error, as no one considered either marking them, or keeping a diagram of which were which?

It's more fun in the Philippines!, Where rubbers, (shoes that is) don't stand in water and hope for the best when plugging electrical appliances into any sockets!!!! (that is of course assuming that you have sockets unlike many Filipinos who just connect wires! Everywhere!,,,,, Anywhere! Even outside!!!!

Papa Carl 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Uncle - the electrician - has a great light fixture on his front porch.  Well actually there is no fixture, that is what makes it great!  A fluorescent bulb is supported by bailing wire, on the ends of the bulb power wires are twisted on the tips, then go to the ballast, just hanging there. Then to the switch.   It works... but I cringe every time they turn it on ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1