Buying Or Renting?

tracy
Posted
Posted

Hey so I was wondering how to go abouts getting a car for the time that we are there (about a year).  Should we buy one or rent one?  any tips or info would be great!! thanks!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I moved your question from Introductions to a more appropriate category.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hi Tracy,

Maybe you should tell us what city or area you will be in. It could make a big difference. And, are you already sure you want or need a car?  Taking a taxi, jeepney, tricycle etc is a lot cheaper than buying or renting a car, but if you have the money to spend then its up to you how you spend it. Maybe you could buy a used car that will last of one year. If you buy a new car you will loose a lot of money if you sell it in just one year.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Having owned and driven a car daily for almost 40 years I was surprised at how little I missed having a car once I moved to the Philippines. Transportation is available everywhere and very affordable. From motorcycle tricycles, jeepneys, taxis in larger cities and buses. If you feel you need a car for a specific trip you can always rent one and drive yourself or rent a car and driver for a few days. I have seen cars with drivers at daily rates of 2000-3000 pesos.

• Like 4

Cebudick
Posted
Posted

After almost 2 years of living in Cebu I finally bought a small car (Honda Jazz) from 5 Aces Car Center on N. Reclamation Rd near Park Mall. I was referred to them by a Filipino businessman who I trust and felt like I was treated well and got an acceptable deal. I started out with a motorcycle when I first came here but found it too dangerous and limiting. I agree with those who advise taking a taxi if you are only visiting, they are cheap and reliable. One interesting point about driving here in the Philippines. As a guy who drove for more than 40 years in the US I have to laugh at the comparisons. What makes drivers in the US boil over in road rage not being cut off by another driver is routine here. There are virtually no stop or yield signs or speed limit signs. Some drive extremely fast, others terminally slow. Cars will charge out from side streets without looking or slowing down and jeepney drivers are in a world of their own. Its also amazing to me the number of full size four wheel drive SUV's when the conditions do not justify the expense, but I finally determined that size here does matter! the larger the vehicle the more the rest of the traffic avoids you. 

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Maybe you should tell us what city or area you will be in. It could make a big difference

Huge differences!  Driving aside for a minute, consider taxis:

If you are in Baguio where Earthdome is, taxis are plentiful, fairly cheap, use the meters and are known for their honesty.

In Subic they don't have meters and most try to rip you off.

In Laguna where I lived before, there are NO taxis!  

In Manila, they are constantly trying to rip you off and don't want to use the meters.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Maybe you should tell us what city or area you will be in. It could make a big difference

Huge differences!  Driving aside for a minute, consider taxis:

If you are in Baguio where Earthdome is, taxis are plentiful, fairly cheap, use the meters and are known for their honesty.

In Subic they don't have meters and most try to rip you off.

In Laguna where I lived before, there are NO taxis!  

In Manila, they are constantly trying to rip you off and don't want to use the meters.

Good point. Availability and ease of taxi use depends on where you are located.

In Baguio there are 8000 taxis in a city of approximately 300,000 people and no tricycles. I have a jeepney loading area 50 feet from my apartment and a place where taxis wait for pickup one block away. Victory Liner has a bus going to Clark/Manila every hour and there are other bus lines with service to that  area.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
In Baguio there are 8000 taxis in a city of approximately 300,000 people and no tricycles. I have a jeepney loading area 50 feet from my apartment and a place where taxis wait for pickup one block away. Victory Liner has a bus going to Clark/Manila every hour and there are other bus lines with service to that  area.

Baguio is excellent for the reasons stated. It is also a walkable city. The cool weather allows you walk longer distances without perspiring from the heat and high humidity. This reduces your need for transportation. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you checked the news today you would see that Baguio is flooded from the typhoon that hit this morning, so if the OP plans to live in Baguio she may need a boat. An average of 20 typhoons per year and most go through Luzon.

photo_1376273405333-2-HD.jpg

Don't see anyone driving here on a Baguio street.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The guy is walking. Like I said, it's a walkable city. The word, "Baguio" means "Stormy Weather."

• Like 2