Past Experience With Shipping Pc's & Laptops

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will bring my laptop as carry on luggage. Why would I want to ship it? :) 

Sure less risk for breaking

but perhaps biger risk to have to pay high custom fees?

People can't bring their personal laptop with them on vacation without paying duty fees? I am shocked, absolutely shocked! :)

Edited by robert k

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will bring my laptop as carry on luggage. Why would I want to ship it? :) 

Sure less risk for breaking

but perhaps biger risk to have to pay high custom fees?

People can't bring their personal laptop with them on vacation without paying duty fees? I am shocked, absolutely shocked! :)

Yes, you can for VACATIONS,

but risk custom demand fee if the computer don't go out of RP again.

E g one living there had to pay custom fee for a crap phone, which he hesitated if bring or through away. He had to pay a higher fee than it was worth!  But it wasn't worth much  :)  so no big damage.

Edited by Thomas

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will arrive on the 30 day visa and hopefully extend to the six month long stay visa and if things work out well marry and honeymoon outside the country and come back balikbayan. I will leave the laptop at home for the honeymoon. I really don't think customs would be able to keep track of, or care, what I brought into the country a year ago. I think I will be ok.

Edited by robert k

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I have never had a problem bringing in a laptop, tablet or cellphone when coming in for vacation. Sometimes they have stayed behind.

The information I posted was more toward those that want to send a pc or laptop to a significant other or family member.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm using my phone right now and don't have the link for the rate but...

Computers have a very low Duty on them! And yes, I have personally confirmed this. I sent my Special Someone a netbook for her birthday and the duty on the netbook was only a couple Pesos. Now the carrying case I sent with it cost a lot more for the Duty charges.

• 1 month later...
ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted

I used a Balakbayan Box to ship over a computer, and a few other bits, it took 7 days from Australia.  The Balakbayan couriers website said it goes by sea, but on the phone they said it goes by air.   I assume it did come by air, or on a VERY fast boat  :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
mrworldwide
Posted
Posted

Sending via UPS or FedEx will cost you over $120 minimum. Then the Philippine customs can impose a duty fee up to 40% of the value of the PC or Laptop.

If you are buying something from the USA, you can just ship with a service like www.my-shoppingbox.com - they handle customs, it's a service including in their very reasonable shipping fee.

I haven't used it, but it seems they really do handle customs, unless I am missing something??

• 4 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I haven't used it, but it seems they really do handle customs, unless I am missing something??

Yes they do, but the cost gets very high due to the box size which most laptops/electronics ship in.

Small high value items e.g. Watches, Makeup, headphones or Cameras which are hugely expensive here are worthwhile shipping but not much else (including laptops) and then you pay insurance over $100 or risk your item being "lost"

Edited by deevey