Entering The Philippines

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Is a visa required to enter the Philippines or can I just get a 21 or 30 day visa stamp when I clear customs in Manila or Cebu ?

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Just show up at the immigration counter in Manila or Cebu with your country valid passport, return ticket (if asked for) and you are now good for 30 days. Used to be 21 days but in July was supposed to be 30 days form then on.

You clear immigration before customs. Depending on your length of stay and if you need an extension, then apply for in in the airport BEOFRE going thru customs. Must pay for in pesos, not your home country money. Cost 2550 I think and if you get it later instead of at the airport, it cost 3030, if I remember correctly.  .  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Just show up at the immigration counter in Manila or Cebu with your country valid passport, return ticket (if asked for) and you are now good for 30 days. Used to be 21 days but in July was supposed to be 30 days form then on.

You clear immigration before customs. Depending on your length of stay and if you need an extension, then apply for in in the airport BEOFRE going thru customs. Must pay for in pesos, not your home country money. Cost 2550 I think and if you get it later instead of at the airport, it cost 3030, if I remember correctly.  .  

Is there going to be an ATM (besides me) between immigration and customs or do I have to bring pesos with me? Is it possible to pass customs and go back to immigration after a visit to an atm machine? :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Note that this info here is correct because the opening poster lists his country of birth as Canada and we assume he is on a Canadian passport.  While it is true for most first world countries it is not true for all countries of the world.  

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

No ATM. There will be a money exchange but depending on your arrival time it may not be open. You save about $10 + - by getting at the airport AND you same a lot of time and travel and other issues by no having to find a BI office at a later date and get your extension then.

$10 is not much but your time and effort to get an extension later may be. Based on that, you can get Philippines money off ebay and at (maybe) your home airport as well as the airport in Manila or Cebu. I bring home Philippines money from my previous trip, so I arrive with money on my next trip.

Depending on where you stay and for how long, it may not be worth it to get your extension at the airport. But if you are going to a more remote area, it would be worth it.  

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

You can always get Philippines pesos at your bank. Sometimes takes a couple days , just remember you can only bring 10k or less peso INTO the country without prior permission from the Philippines government.. but the banks exchange rates over the counter aren't all that favorable usually .. maybe just get 4k or so if you want to pay your first extension at the airport.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
maybe just get 4k or so if you want to pay your first extension at the airport.

Well remember there are other costs such as taxi and tipping and related. Unless you want to get into a taxi and go to a money changing place 1st and LEAVE YOUR BAGS in the taxi while you go in and exchange money, you will need more than 4,000k peso.

Make plans before you arrive for money exchange. Hotel may exchange or not.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

maybe just get 4k or so if you want to pay your first extension at the airport.

Well remember there are other costs such as taxi and tipping and related. Unless you want to get into a taxi and go to a money changing place 1st and LEAVE YOUR BAGS in the taxi while you go in and exchange money, you will need more than 4,000k peso.

Make plans before you arrive for money exchange. Hotel may exchange or not.

Swagman will exchange. I had a few loose bills and they bought them. I think it was ar P0.6 below FOREX at the time.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Now a person can stay 68 days with a 38 day extension upon entry in to the Phils?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Now a person can stay 68 days with a 38 day extension upon entry in to the Phils?

No, you can stay 30 days and get a 29 day extension. Total after first extension is still 59 days.

• Like 2