Ferry Travel To Southern Leyte

Markham
Posted
Posted

As a former merchant navy officer I would strongly advise you to fly. Philippine ferries are not a safe means of transport, in my view. They are frequently overloaded, cargo ill-secured and their passenger manifests are often incomplete - the ferry that sank last night off Cebu was carrying around 200 passengers over and above its manifest total. Almost all the ferries were built for Japanese coastal waters and additional generators and (industrial size) air-conditioning units have been installed high above the water line which raises the centre of gravity (thereby reducing the "righting moment") and makes them somewhat less stable: some even have additional passenger decks installed.

Are there any ferries that are at least passable by your standards for trip from Cebu to Bohol?

I left Cebu in 2010 so I'm not certain which companies operate the route now. There were two "fast craft" services, one being SuperCat and the other Weesam. I have been on a SuperCat to Tagbiliran and it was okay but I'd not want to do a longer trip in one.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I left Cebu in 2010 so I'm not certain which companies operate the route now. There were two "fast craft" services, one being SuperCat and the other Weesam. I have been on a SuperCat to Tagbiliran and it was okay but I'd not want to do a longer trip in one.
I believe it go to Tagbilaran still. At least it was a bit over a half year ago.