Have Pitt Bull, Will Travel

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

trying to find out what the cost would be to fly my dog into manila from nicaragua. roughly the same distance as san francisco or vancouver. he weighs about 65 pounds. has anyone brought a dog over before?  during stopovers were you allowed to visit with your pet? i am not sure where they are held during a change of plane. thanks if you can help.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

You have bigger issues than simple travel costs and visitation rights. I think there is a quarantine period where you buddy will be care for 'others' and for a time period a defined by Philippine law and you will bear the costs.

Do a google search on the importation of pets into the Philippines to see what you can find out.

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

thanks bruce. i had done numerous web searches before, as i was concerned over breed restrictions(my dog is very sweet and not a mean bone in his body. it is all how you raise and socialize them). i came across all the necessary requirements and strict innoculations necessary and found that there is no quaranteen period for the philippines. a bigger problem i did discover is that pal airlines has no ventilation cargo and has stopped flying pets over 12 pounds that cannot be stuffed under   in cabin seats. also, they will not fly pets if the temperature is over 86 degrees. so the real issue now becomes how to travel within the country from manila down to bohol or davao. .hmmmm.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
real issue now becomes how to travel within the country from manila down to bohol or davao.
Inside PHL you can go by ferry  :)   (Well. Not so nice having to go all the way to Davao by ferry, but to Bohol it's done rather handy.)

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

have you ever seen dogs on the ferry? would they have to be muzzled? not a fan of ferries after hearing about the cebu disaster last week. we actually changed our plans for  travelling the overnight ferry from tagbilaran to mindaneo. going to fly out of cebu instead.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
it is all how you raise and socialize them

This is not true. But since you are asking about travel issues with the dog I shall start a new post about dogs and the human misconceptions of 'pit bulls' and other such dogs.

See you there! :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
have you ever seen dogs on the ferry? would they have to be muzzled?

They have to be caged and have recent shots and papers and a letter from the department of quarantine (which may or may not be asked for depending on the day and the officials in charge).  On the walk on, fast ferries, you can only bring small dogs in cages with the paperwork but on the roll on roll off ferries you can leave your dog in his cage in the back of your pick up (don't forget to bring sun and rain shelter if its an open deck).  You could leave him inside the car with the windows open but even then it gets incredibly hot.

Yes I've done it, but only with local pet dogs (not pit bulls).

• Like 1

bc_hombre
Posted
Posted

have you ever seen dogs on the ferry? would they have to be muzzled?

They have to be caged and have recent shots and papers and a letter from the department of quarantine (which may or may not be asked for depending on the day and the officials in charge).  On the walk on, fast ferries, you can only bring small dogs in cages with the paperwork but on the roll on roll off ferries you can leave your dog in his cage in the back of your pick up (don't forget to bring sun and rain shelter if its an open deck).  You could leave him inside the car with the windows open but even then it gets incredibly hot.

Yes I've done it, but only with local pet dogs (not pit bulls).

you mentioned the department of quarantine..............it does not come up when googled. is this a moniker for a gov't agency that issues and checks validity of the papers i will be bringing with me? not having a vehicle at this point as i will be just getting situted, what would be the options for getting him onboard?

• 4 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

bc_hombre I don't doubt you when you say your pitbull is nice and gentle,but 9 out of 10 tens in the news where there is a maiming or death of a child by a dog its a pitbull breed. I google the MOST DANGEROUS DOG BREED IN THE U.S. and guess what breed came in at #1 from all the websites I saw? I remember where a family left their infant in one of those swinging baskets while they went outside to talk with a neighboor. And when they return inside to their horror the family pitbull has mauled the death their baby where he sat. Lots of examples man. Glad you got a rare nice one.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
you mentioned the department of quarantine

Sorry I missed this. You need to read through the following thread  (read all):

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/8572-certificate-to-take-dog-on-ferry/