Certificate To Take Dog On Ferry

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I plan to take my pickup truck with 2 dogs in the back from Danao to Isabel, Leyte in a couple weeks. It seems the easiest way to get my vehicle and dogs there from where I live in Liloan.I just had the dogs vaccinations for rabies and distemper (parvo) updated and the vet said I would need a certificate from either the quarantine office near pier 1 in Cebu or perhaps it could be obtained in Danao but he did not know where.Has anyone taken dogs on the ferry? Do they ask for that paperwork? Where in Danao would I get it? Anyone have the exact location in Cebu city if I have to go there?Any first hand experiences would be good to know.

roy2cebu
Posted
Posted

Seems your avatar provides the best solution....no hassles then..lol!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Seems your avatar provides the best solution....no hassles then..lol!
thats-funny.gif cute but I really do need to find out this info sometime this week. I'll be searching my friend Google but first hand knowledge is always best.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found the following item for Super Ferry but that is not who I travel with. Wonder if all the smaller ferries follow the rules as close.

Pets Pets and other animals (except for endangered species) are allowed on the vessel provided that they are properly caged and with quarantine certificates from the Bureau of Animal Industry and a bill of lading.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bureau of Animal Industry, Arellano Boulevard, Pier 2, Cebu
A google search turned up Inspector's thread on this forum and I got the location of BAI. I still don't have any first hand knowledge from someone who took a vehicle on a ferry with their dog in the truck/car in a proper cage. Anyone?It seems like a lot of BS to go to BAI every time you want to go across from Danao to Leyte with your pets and I want to know if they insist on that certificate? I will go into Cebu tomorrow to check it out if no one answers here before then. (As a reminder I have 2 dogs and their shots are up to date).Edit : I found this bit of info that makes little sense to me but I will add it here in case someone has more of a clue than I do,
Bureau of Quarantine naa sa BFAR 7 compound, Arellano st....left side before pier 1. (newly cemented ang daan.)
Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Bureau of Animal Industry, Arellano Boulevard, Pier 2, Cebu
A google search turned up Inspector's thread on this forum and I got the location of BAI. I still don't have any first hand knowledge from someone who took a vehicle on a ferry with their dog in the truck/car in a proper cage. Anyone?It seems like a lot of BS to go to BAI every time you want to go across from Danao to Leyte with your pets and I want to know if they insist on that certificate? I will go into Cebu tomorrow to check it out if no one answers here before then. (As a reminder I have 2 dogs and their shots are up to date).Edit : I found this bit of info that makes little sense to me but I will add it here in case someone has more of a clue than I do,
Bureau of Quarantine naa sa BFAR 7 compound, Arellano st....left side before pier 1. (newly cemented ang daan.)
Really have no answer for you but you would think if the pets are from the Philippines and not being imported then they should be able to be transported throughout the Philippines freely.

• 10 months later...
yosho
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave, Do you have any update on this? My girlfriend will be coming to Manila from Mindanao via the Super Ferry and bringing our cat with us. When she originally went there 6 months ago, we didn't have any shots or anything for the cat, because it was still young and the guy at the pier said it was ok then. But now that its older, I need to know how stringently they enforce this rule! Surely this kind of ridiculous bureaucracy (shots, then BAI, then Bill of Lading, all for a cat?!?) can be overcome with a bribe at the pier?Cheers,J

billten
Posted
Posted (edited)

We run a PCCI certified kennel breeding Bullmastiffs for pets and working style Doberman for security and protection. On several occasions we have shipped dogs or had them picked up by clients. Basically the procedure is:1. You get the dog up to date with its 5-in-1 and rabistan shots2. You get a local vet to give you a vaccination card with dates, the peel off labels from the bottles (you really should have a health card from back when the dog was a puppy with all its shots , wormings etc. on it) and his name and address as a vet.3. You take this card to the pier (or airport terminal) and look for the 'animal health' or 'quarantine office'.4. Find someone in there and have him review the card, pay him a small fee (less than p200) and he will stamp the card5. Off you go...The certificate part is bogus, there is a certificate of clearance but i have never seen it made or given. If they quarantine officer starts to give you a hard time, he is playing a game.BTW, several times i have shipped dogs and had none of the paperwork ever checked. Its very hit and miss...Bill

Edited by billten
  • Like 1

yosho
Posted
Posted

Good to know, thanks! Though it might be difficult for me to explain to my girlfriend about "peeling off stickers from bottles"! I'll cross my fingers and hope that corruption can work its wonders yet again :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
BTW, several times i have shipped dogs and had none of the paperwork ever checked.
I've heard they check on the Supercat but I doubt they would care much on the Superferry.Other than that, I notice some attempt in the provinces to control rabies so that is getting to be their big concern. If the animal has the certificate to prove rabies shots up to date then I would just bring it with me. But there is always a chance of meeting an officious official.