I Could Live Without...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There were some really great posts when I asked what people did to save money - and I know there are going to be more coming!  But now I want to know something similar but coming at it from a different way...  There are different ways to save money but one way is to figure out what we need and what we don't need.  We all say what we need...  I need that car...   I need my Red Horse...  I need a kick in the head...  But what about what we don't need?  The things we can live without that will make life in Paradise more enjoyable!  An example?  I don't need a TV.  The few shows I watch can be found on-line and since I already own a computer...

Here's a few more examples of things we can live without...  The beer / wine cooler, a car, mom's coffee grinder...  Or even food items like Uncle Joe Kano's Finest Beer Sausages!  Aunt Martha's Backwoods Champagne!  Of course that Square Grand Piano that must be shipped over from Lower Buttupstunk!  

So, what is it that YOU can live without?

• Like 1

dalidali
Posted
Posted

I have found that if you make a grocery shopping list, and stick to it, rather than just strolling the aisles, plucking this and that off the shelves just because you "think" you want it, makes a hell of a difference.

And how can you go wrong with Tanduay dark, 5 years old, pint bottle for 36p??

$.83 cents USD ??...are you kidding me?

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Here's a few more examples of things we can live without... The beer / wine cooler, a car, mom's coffee grinder... Or even food items like Uncle Joe Kano's Finest Beer Sausages! Aunt Martha's Backwoods Champagne! Of course that Square Grand Piano that must be shipped over from Lower Buttupstunk!

Yup .... Bob I can live without all of those ... :hystery:  .... here is one people are going to find hard to believe but we live with out aircon and have for 6 years .... we do use the car aircon so we don't have to roll down the windows both because of pollution and also privacy ..... for the past 7 months that we have been here in Bacolod we haven't had cable TV .... just because .... but I'm not sure that will e long lasting ....  :mocking: .... and except for the internet I can do with out the company of my fellow countrymen .....  :mocking:  :mocking:  :mocking: 

:cheersty:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here's a few more examples of things we can live without... The beer / wine cooler, a car, mom's coffee grinder... Or even food items like Uncle Joe Kano's Finest Beer Sausages! Aunt Martha's Backwoods Champagne! Of course that Square Grand Piano that must be shipped over from Lower Buttupstunk!

Yup .... Bob I can live without all of those ... :hystery:  .... here is one people are going to find hard to believe but we live with out aircon and have for 6 years .... we do use the car aircon so we don't have to roll down the windows both because of pollution and also privacy ..... for the past 7 months that we have been here in Bacolod we haven't had cable TV .... just because .... but I'm not sure that will e long lasting ....  :mocking: .... and except for the internet I can do with out the company of my fellow countrymen .....  :mocking:  :mocking:  :mocking:

:cheersty:

I try to do without the air con here but everywhere I go, there it is already on at no cost to me.  So...  And to be honest, as I am staying with my sister for a month or two, she doesn't have cable either.  We can pick up enough over-the-air signals still from Buffalo, Hamilton and Toronto that she doesn't need cable.  The only thing is I can't get my Blue Jays baseball and Hockey Night In Canada on Saturday night is the only hockey I can see unless I...  Yup!  I watch them live on my computer through that glorious thing called the Internet!  So for me cable is also a waste.  Now if I didn't still live in Canada, I would be with you on that last one!  

:mocking:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have found that if you make a grocery shopping list, and stick to it, rather than just strolling the aisles, plucking this and that off the shelves just because you "think" you want it, makes a hell of a difference.

And how can you go wrong with Tanduay dark, 5 years old, pint bottle for 36p??

$.83 cents USD ??...are you kidding me?

Tanduay dark is a requirement.  Period.

I have just moved in with my sister and, besides being the heavy lifter for someone with bad shoulders, I am teaching her what it like to live on a pension.  Yup!  This is going to be her first month retarded - just like me.  Where to go to get the best value...  How to make a list of what you need and avoid what you only just wanted...  Funny thing is that I just started a new job this week...  Today is going to be day 3 for me.

:mocking:  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I already live without aircon, which I never thought I would do.  I worked in HVAC for 25 years and my house had to be a constant 73 F all year!  Now it is 85-90 F all the time ha ha

We got satellite TV but could easily do without it.  There is nothing for me to watch, the few English channels show the same 4 movies all month, and I could not possibly care less about sports.  And my girlfriend watches local TV only.  So that would be an easy savings - after our damn contract ends.  Netflix is only about $9 USD a month.    :tiphat:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I can do without the aircon and the Tanduay dark. When I lived and worked in the Virgin Islands I thought Cruzan dark rum was the stuff $2.39 a fifth. The light Cruzan was lighter fluid and paint stripper. I quit drinking, I know that nobody likes a quitter but I made the mistake of looking up one day and realized I like me just the way I am and was thoroughly puzzled by the fact that at least a limited number of other people liked me too, strange world! :hystery:  I would like a vehicle with aircon for the same reason Mike S stated. I can give up dining out or at least severely curtail it. I used to eat out frequently because it takes time to prepare a really good meal and clean up afterward. I have time now.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Interesting topic.

We are in the processing of a radical downsizing wherein everything that we plan to retain must fit in a small Class B RV or a small storage locker. The first item is to reduce clothes. I have six suits. That will be down to one. The 24 Hawaiian business shirts will shrink to just 3 at most. The same with wind breakers and winter jackets. I only need one. If it gets old and worn looking, then it's time to buy a new one. Luckily, my wife is also very disciplined. We travel with just one small suitcase between the two of us. 

We have multiple land lines and cellular phones. That will be reduced to one each. The same with computers. We have a new tablet. I don't like it. My wife can keep the tablet. I will purchase a new laptop. The old one was given away last April. The four desktops (two each at home and office) will also be given away. 

I am the cook in the family. All you really need is one skillet and a medium size pot. The best one is a flat bottom wok that is multiple purpose. We have one of those wooden blocks with 18 knives and kitchen scissors. I plan to replace everything with one quality knife from Japan. The design of the blade also makes it an acceptable defensive weapon.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I never thought I could live without fresh perked coffee, but I found out I can live without it.  3 in 1 instant coffee can be adapted to and is 1/5 the price.

I never thought I could live without beef but I found out I can live without it.  Pork and chicken are ok substitutes at half the price.

I never thought I could live without cheese but I found out I can use CheezWiz in my tuna melt sandwiches and it'll do, and at a fraction of the price of real cheese.

I never thought I could live without an oven but its doable.

One think I am HAPPY to live without is long underwear and a parka.

EDIT:  I also found out I can live with dial up speed Internet and lots of disconnects.  I ain't happy about it but I survive.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Curley
Posted
Posted

Television I can definitely do without. Internet, no, I must have that. Eating out, definitely out, soooo many restaurants disappoint me because they can cook no better than I can yet charge me ten times what it would cost to buy the ingredients (including wine) and cook it myself. Alcohol.... hmmm for about ten years I was teetotal but do enjoy a good drop of wine, port, rum or brandy. Flashy car? That's going and a sensible pick up truck will probably replace it. Aircon, won't need it where I'm going, likewise cold weather clothes. Processed "Western" foods, no thanks, I don't eat them here in the West so definitely won't be paying over the top for them.